Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA
If I book a Hyatt hotel through my credit card concierge that uses an OTA-like portal, am I forfeiting any upgrades or benefits I get from being Explorist? I know I won't get any points and I don't think I can use any club upgrades. But they have a much lower price.

Is there any way to get Explorist benefits by calling the hotel directly and asking them to attach my World of Hyatt number to the reservation?

Last edited by wiivile; Oct 10, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I've had the Hyatt card for many years and it took 60 nights for me to requalify in 2017. I shall assume that it takes 55 nights to requalify in 2018, i.e. I assume that the 5-night credit towards status has been "enhanced" away as part of the new-fangled World of Hyatt program.
This is what I was worried about. In my Hyatt account, the number of nights that show up there is 5 more than the number of nights I was in a bed. So it implies I got the 5-night credit one last time. But they announced the removal of this 5-night credit so that got me confused.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Just to confirm - Explorist club awards can be used on points bookings?
Since nobody answered this, yes, can be used on points booking. Not on free nights from credit cards etc.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Anybody have a definitive answer on stays checking out on Jan 1 and nights counting towards 2017 status? I'm going to be short without a mattress run, but my dad will actually use the room I'm doing the mattress run in. He needs to stay until 1/2, so I'd do a separate GoH rez for his last night or two. Just don't know if I have the first rez end 12/31 or 1/1

All of my stays seem to post with a checkout date one day earlier than when I actually checked out now, but I really don't want to rely on that quirk to hit my 60 nights.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:31 pm

My family is booking a hotel (on cash) for a Hyatt hotel for NINE days. We do not currently have a Hyatt card (I'm thinking of getting one once i'm over 5/25 as I believe it doesn't apply).

But besides doing that, are there:

A) Any ways to get the best deal for so many days in a row
B) Any way to really maximize points accrued for a stay like this?
C) Any various credit card benefits to make this stay cheaper, like 4th night free deals (although I don't have the Citi Prestige anymore).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Anybody have a definitive answer on stays checking out on Jan 1 and nights counting towards 2017 status? I'm going to be short without a mattress run, but my dad will actually use the room I'm doing the mattress run in. He needs to stay until 1/2, so I'd do a separate GoH rez for his last night or two. Just don't know if I have the first rez end 12/31 or 1/1

All of my stays seem to post with a checkout date one day earlier than when I actually checked out now, but I really don't want to rely on that quirk to hit my 60 nights.
To be safe, end the first rez on 12/31.

I had a similar situation with the promo that ended on 6/30, asked, and was told that the check out date is what counts now. They will no longer manually adjust if the stay goes beyond the time period.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:52 am

Newbie question here... I see that for lifetime Globalist status, the only requirement appears to be 1mn base points. Am I to assume that if I spend USD 200k on Hyatt restaurants and spa's etc, without ever staying at a Hyatt property, I would be able to receive lifetime Globalist status?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Before taxes... and lots of items don’t earn points depending on location.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by CX HK
Newbie question here... I see that for lifetime Globalist status, the only requirement appears to be 1mn base points. Am I to assume that if I spend USD 200k on Hyatt restaurants and spa's etc, without ever staying at a Hyatt property, I would be able to receive lifetime Globalist status?
Theoretically possible.

1. You will have to be cognizant of what spas and restaurants count. There are many spas associated with Hyatt properties that don't count (of the 7 places I have booked next year with a spa, only 2 have spas that count). There are also some Hyatt-housed restaurants that don't count either.
2. On restaurants, generally speaking, doesn't include anything but the base price of food. Alcohol doesn't count (unless by accident, which I have had happen!), tips don't count, taxes don't count. (I've tested this out a couple times, at Hyatt Houses, the H-Bar food counts which I find convenient enough and usually decent enough.)

For me, this benefit is very attractive. Assuming a healthy rate of vacation travel and a couple weeks of work travel for me -- All at Hyatts--, it will take ~12-15 years before I get lifetime. If I eat/spa during those trips in house (when they count) even occasionally, I can get to lifetime a couple of years earlier. And on the Hyatt Chase card, you get the 3 pts/$ at these places in addition to your 5 pts base + bonus. If you value pts at 2 cent apeice (I have yet to redeem for less than that), then eating in-house gets you about 19 cents on the dollar back worth of points (5 base + 1.5 globalist bonus + 3 bonus on Chase Hyatt or CSR "UR points" if you go that route).

The main problem of course with your plan, is getting the credits when you are supposed to, which more than one person has reported problems with.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MarkOK
2. On restaurants, generally speaking, doesn't include anything but the base price of food. Alcohol doesn't count (unless by accident, which I have had happen!)....
HGP used to publish the states in which you don't get credit for alcohol but otherwise there was no prohibition on earning points for libation. So it's quite possible your 'accident' wasn't, you just happened to be in a location that doesn't restrict the act.

I don't know if WoH does the same.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
HGP used to publish the states in which you don't get credit for alcohol but otherwise there was no prohibition on earning points for libation. So it's quite possible your 'accident' wasn't, you just happened to be in a location that doesn't restrict the act.

I don't know if WoH does the same.
I remembers seeing in the terms that it explicitly excludes alcohol, but I don't have time right now to dig that up.

In my specific case, It was based a single stay where the only way to calculate the points earned was when the food and alcohol both were counted on 1 my meals, and when only the food (and not the alcohol) was counted on the other meal.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:42 pm

[###]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:18 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So from i read the Glob Suite Upgrade are valid for 12 months now when you hit the 60 nights. Thus it seems that the best strategy is to wait till December to earn them.
They would then expire in 12/2018. But does that mean I would be able to use them over new years? (say checkin 12/29/2018 and checkout 01/03/2019)?

Edit
Looks like no. Wow they really killed off any benefits of being a globalist
Complimentary Suite Upgrade Awards are valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance and must be redeemed for reservations with a checkout date before the expiration of the Complimentary Suite Upgrade Award.

Last edited by jason8612; Oct 28, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jason8612
So from i read the Glob Suite Upgrade are valid for 12 months now when you hit the 60 nights. Thus it seems that the best strategy is to wait till December to earn them.
They would then expire in 12/2018. But does that mean I would be able to use them over new years? (say checkin 12/29/2018 and checkout 01/03/2019)?

Edit
Looks like no. Wow they really killed off any benefits of being a globalist
Complimentary Suite Upgrade Awards are valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance and must be redeemed for reservations with a checkout date before the expiration of the Complimentary Suite Upgrade Award.
The only logic I can think of for Hyatt coming up with this scheme is maybe they figured people would be motivated to get to 60 more quickly in the year so then they could reach for 70, 80, or 90 nights by late December and get the extra TSU but still, as you point out, there would be no way to use it over New Years.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
They came up with it after they gave away thousands of diamond status' from that error. It was to attempt to get some of them out of the system.

It didn't work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.