Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Most hotels will check way before that. And generally they will cancel your stay if you have not been around.

Why not talk to the manager and just be straightforward about it?
Fair enough and that's why I'm asking. You think the manager will cooperate here? If not, then what?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
How do you have 30 days of hotel to just waste? At $100 that’s $3000! To buy status?
I'm looking for deals and if I were to do it, it'll have to be less than $100/night. Lots of people do it.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking for deals and if I were to do it, it'll have to be less than $100/night. Lots of people do it.
Houston I saw $66 rates.

Just FYI

$66 x 30 days = 9,900 points earned and 30 EQN if you’re registered for the Hyatt Journeys Promo that’s about 20k points earned (not considering 10-30% status bonus).
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Fair enough and that's why I'm asking. You think the manager will cooperate here? If not, then what?
Well, as a businessman, if I were running things and a guy came to me with free money and a legal proposition, I cannot see why I wouldn't take it. But I know little of the hotel business.

Let us know if it works out.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Houston I saw $66 rates.

Just FYI

$66 x 30 days = 9,900 points earned and 30 EQN if you’re registered for the Hyatt Journeys Promo that’s about 20k points earned (not considering 10-30% status bonus).
Might wait a bit. Hyatt may very well offer something like double-status nights before this thing is over.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, as a businessman, if I were running things and a guy came to me with free money and a legal proposition, I cannot see why I wouldn't take it. But I know little of the hotel business.

Let us know if it works out.
Seems like these kind of questions always get people fired up. Then there's insinuation of fraud being committed. I guess we'll find out if it works or not.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I see. Yes I’ve heard of people doing it. But not 30 nights. Only a few nights here and there. That’s why I thought it was crazy. But if this coronavirus doesnt go away I can see how hotels might get so cheap just to fill anything.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like these kind of questions always get people fired up. Then there's insinuation of fraud being committed. I guess we'll find out if it works or not.
Well, it’s weird to most people. The concept of a “mattress run” for hotel status is not that common in the general public.

They might think you are running prostitution or something out of there.

If the manager has any brains he will understand.

If this involves multiple check-ins/check-outs because of “buy 2 or more nights, get a third” or similar, that may be a problem. Technically you are required to be there for each CC swipe/check-in. I have had front-desk people and managers tell me they’d love to do something along these lines, but if they got caught they’d be fired.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Well, it’s weird to most people. The concept of a “mattress run” for hotel status is not that common in the general public.

They might think you are running prostitution or something out of there.

If the manager has any brains he will understand.

If this involves multiple check-ins/check-outs because of “buy 2 or more nights, get a third” or similar, that may be a problem. Technically you are required to be there for each CC swipe/check-in. I have had front-desk people and managers tell me they’d love to do something along these lines, but if they got caught they’d be fired.
The T&C also say you have to occupy the room. So when I'm doing a mattress run I check in, go to the room, turn around, and leave. I've occupied it
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:15 pm

Question -

I have a reservation in May at a US Hyatt which I did the advance purchase rate. I made the reservation in January, but I recently closed the card I paid with because the Annual Fee was too high.

So the reservation is paid for, but the card it was paid on is no longer active. Is this going to be a problem at check in? I have another card I can use for the deposit just wondering though since it’s prepaid I’ve never been in this situation.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Question -

I have a reservation in May at a US Hyatt which I did the advance purchase rate. I made the reservation in January, but I recently closed the card I paid with because the Annual Fee was too high.

So the reservation is paid for, but the card it was paid on is no longer active. Is this going to be a problem at check in? I have another card I can use for the deposit just wondering though since it’s prepaid I’ve never been in this situation.
Won't be an issue, done this all the time.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Won't be an issue, done this all the time.
One more quick question -

Since I closed out the card I can’t see the transactions. I know sometimes even on the prepaid reservations the hotel will wait to charge you until showing up. How often does this happen compared to charging at booking for an advance purchase rate?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
I'd email the manager and say you're staying in the area for a month. You will be traveling around, but don't want to keep packing up/unpacking your stuff so you will not be occupying the room every night. Then ask if it's a problem.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:44 pm

Alila suites with points?

Is it possible to call and book a suite at an Alila property using points? I don’t see any references to “standard” or “premium” suites. I’m specifically looking at the Alila Seminyak in Bali. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I started a new job early March that will be travel intensive to a different location. I'm leaning towards Hyatt for hotel, even through it's a longer commute. I'll mostly be flying AA direct from CLT -> Allentown.

Travel was quoted at 50% during interview, but could be most. Most likely fly up sunday night or monday and back friday.

Planning to pick up the Hyatt credit card for more points and perks. As well as linking my AA account.

Because i can take direct flights, even getting gold with AA will be tough, though hitting Globalist with Hyatt should be pretty straight forward.

What can I do to maximize my points and benefits?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.