Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Always in USD. Stays outside the US are converted to USD using Hyatt's exchange rate and points are calculated off that. Just did it for the Andaz Costa RIca.

Hyatt BRG
https://www.hyatt.com/info/best-rate-guarantee

I have no idea whether a negotiated rate with the hotel would count. My gut says yes, but not sure
How can I tell what Hyatt's exchange rate is? I'm assuming the break down will be displayed in my account?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
How can I tell what Hyatt's exchange rate is? I'm assuming the break down will be displayed in my account?
My stays have never shown the exchange rate. It just shows up in USD. I got lucky on the Costa Rica stay because I used the 40 night $100 GC and was able to see exactly how it converted.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Anyone know if the following is possible:
Hotel is sold out in regular rooms but suites are available for purchase. Would my ambassador be able to somehow make a points reservation and then apply an upgrade certificate? Or does a regular room need to be available?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:05 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by awu25
Hotel is sold out in regular rooms but suites are available for purchase. Would my ambassador be able to somehow make a points reservation and then apply an upgrade certificate? Or does a regular room need to be available?
I've always understood that a "standard" room needs to be available to make a points reservation, even if the room is later upgraded. There have been reports of properties making a standard room available, presumably by temporarily reclassifying a "view", "high floor", or "corner" room to a standard room or removing the room from a package, but I have no personal experience with that. It wouldn't hurt to try, by contacting your concierge or the property directly.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by awu25
What property are we talking about? If it's something like HR Kauai at Christmas, it ain't going to happen

If you have the points and it's a relatively short stay, ask your concierge if you can directly book the suite on points.

The concierge doesn't have the power to do what you want, it's at the property's discretion. As someone else said, ask them to reach out to the property on your behalf. If they strike out, find the VIP manager and/or GM contact and give it a go yourself. Even if they say no to this request, give them as much detail about your situation so they can find some way to accommodate you. Case and point...

I tried this recently at HR Vancouver, for a 3 night stay. The cash rates for a couple of the nights were ridiculously high and I preferred to use points. They declined to open up a room at the base points rates, but allowed me to book a suite directly on points for two of the nights and then found me a reduced rate for the last night. So while not ideal, I felt they got me squared away fairly.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks all, it was the Park Hyatt Siem Reap. I ended up switching up my plans and going to Phuket first instead of Siem Reap and the standard room was available with the dates flipped
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:50 am

Lounge question re: 3rd guest

I should hit globalist by my labor day weekend stay. I'll have 3 guests in a room. Are they flexible with letting a 3rd person in the lounge or is there a strict policy for only 2? Is this property specific?

Can I use a club lounge award for a 3rd person if they limit it to 2 people?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The rules are 2 adults and 2 children. Hotels do bend that rule.

For a recent stay where I booked 2 rooms for 4 adults (no GoH booking), they gave free breakfast to all 4 of us.

But it is dependent upon the hotel. If you want to use a club lounge award, and you're about to hit globalist, there's no reason not too. I'm finding them pretty useless.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
I have a booking of a Standard Rate room at a Hyatt Regency, which i BRG'ed to a (considerably) lower price. Is it possible to upgrade this room with points (i.e. 3.000 for Regency Club or 6.000 for Suite provided there is availability), or would I have to pay the full standard fare (despite being higher than competitor sites) to be able to use points to upgrade?

I tried to call to upgrade, but was quoted the full cash + points price, which must mean that my current booking would be cancelled and a new cash + points booking would be made. Is this correct or should I try to call again?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
I have a booking of a Standard Rate room at a Hyatt Regency, which i BRG'ed to a (considerably) lower price. Is it possible to upgrade this room with points (i.e. 3.000 for Regency Club or 6.000 for Suite provided there is availability), or would I have to pay the full standard fare (despite being higher than competitor sites) to be able to use points to upgrade?

I tried to call to upgrade, but was quoted the full cash + points price, which must mean that my current booking would be cancelled and a new cash + points booking would be made. Is this correct or should I try to call again?
From my understanding and previous experience, yes what you're being told is correct. The terms and conditions for suite upgrades says " In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt hotel (that is not a resort), a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a standard room..." There's similar language for club rooms. See Appendix B, Section II(c). https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...att-terms.html
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
From my understanding and previous experience, yes what you're being told is correct. The terms and conditions for suite upgrades says " In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt hotel (that is not a resort), a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a standard room..." There's similar language for club rooms. See Appendix B, Section II(c). https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...att-terms.html
So whilst my confirmation shows a standard rate for a standard room, it is not eligible because the standard rate was lowered by the BRG?

My change confirmation states "STANDARD RATE" as the rate type, so I thought it would be eligible for an upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:16 am

So whilst my confirmation shows a standard rate for a standard room, it is not eligible because the standard rate was lowered by the BRG?

My change confirmation states "STANDARD RATE" as the rate type, so I thought it would be eligible for an upgrade.
Regardless of what your confirmation says it's not the standard rate -- as you said it's a "considerably" lower rate. Give it a go if you want, but I doubt you're going to get anywhere with WoH but instead will just burn time and get frustrated. The intent of the conditions is pretty clear. They don't want people using low rates and then applying point upgrades.

If you're a globalist, I bet you can use a tier suite upgrade cert or ask for a comp'd suite a checkin. Otherwise, I'd reach out to the property directly about a cheap cash upgrade to a suite. If you can get the right person on the phone at the right time of day (when they're not busy like checkin/checkout times) this can be pretty effective.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:21 am

Also too, read the first part of the T&C section "may not be redeemed at all Hyatt hotel or resort locations and may have minimum room-type and rate requirements for the underlying reservation, including as described below"

The magical "including" phrase can easily be interpreted as "including but not limited to". Bottom line, there's a fair bit of leeway given to the individual properties on how to apply this (I know WoH have to look at the requirements on a per property basis).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
It might be a silly question but I need to ask in order to have a good sleep tonight...

I have experienced again and again that the WoH App offers me Double your Points rates whereas the website doesn't. Both times I was logged in with my WoH account and searched for the same property for the exact same period.

E.g. Grand Hyatt Taipei from 10/04/20 - 14/04/20 or Grand Hyatt Manila from 01/05/20 - 04/05/20

Is there any simple and logic explanation for the same or just an "IT issue"?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have a question about the Chase free night awards.

I get my free night award in December. Is there any way to book a free night for next year before I get the actual certificate? I can't think of any way, but was hoping there might be something.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.