FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1728427-grand-hyatt-sfo-review-master-thread.html)

KathyWdrf Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Is the Twin Crafts Market (in the Hyatt) not open yet? It's supposed to be open 24 hours and have some grab & go food options.

uprightposition Oct 19, 2019 6:19 am

ux

the lobby seating configuration in the photo of closed circles and tiny chairs seems to not take travelers' needs into consideration. if i'm staying at an airport hotel, i want a dark, quiet room that looks fresh and a healthy food option and i want to get some fresh air. are there any unique to an airport hotel in the year 2020 in silicon valley touches such as extra charging ports in rooms or public areas or eye masks/earplugs? no room for luggage? who designed that? and do the windows open or is there any place to breathe fresh air? like a pool deck or garden?

LASUA1K Oct 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Why do Hotels in the US continue to install carpet. Absolutely awful for a hotel in this price range to offer carpet.

MSPeconomist Oct 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Carpet absorbs noise so it tends to make the hotel more quiet.

gengar Oct 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3 (Post 31642357)
I had a runway view room and it was really cool (and also included spotter booklet & binoculars).

Love this.

Originally Posted by moulder3 (Post 31642357)
The showerheads in this hotel are truly awful (both waterfall & hand units--they have almost the same head design). Among the worst I've every experienced at any hotel and definitely the worst at a nicer chain like GH. I'm all for water conservation but not if it requires a 20 minute shower because of how little water comes out. Since some guests may book day rooms from international flights to come and shower after landing & before heading to meetings, don't come here!

Hate this. Same issue at many new build Hyatt Houses. I mean, if it takes me 3x as long to take a shower than normal because the pressure/flow is so terrible, are we really saving much if any water?

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2019 2:24 pm

What's the deal with suites at this property? Are they not yet ready for occupancy?

I have a reservation coming up for one night which should be a low demand day. In fact, all room types seem to be available at very good (and decreasing) rates. However, not s single suite is showing as available, not even junior suites, and not on any rate plan. This seems very unlikely to me, and yet there's also no indication that suites cannot be booked on the Hyatt website.

I've been hoping for a nice upgrade as a Glob, although of course I'm not willing to use a TSU for one nights.

ADDED: Their fact sheet says 351 rooms of which 22 are suites with parlors, which presumably doesn't include the junior suites. It's not a good ratio, but still.......

Also, is there a swimming pool or not? The early announcement, linked in post #1 upthread says yes, but there's nothing I can find on the hotel's website?

gengar Oct 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31652281)
What's the deal with suites at this property? Are they not yet ready for occupancy?

I'd just shoot the property an e-mail and ask.

Maui4me1 Oct 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31652281)

I have a reservation coming up for one night which should be a low demand day. In fact, all room types seem to be available at very good (and decreasing) rates. However, not s single suite is showing as available, not even junior suites, and not on any rate plan. This seems very unlikely to me, and yet there's also no indication that suites cannot be booked on the Hyatt website.

I've been hoping for a nice upgrade as a Glob, although of course I'm not willing to use a TSU for one nights.

ADDED: Their fact sheet says 351 rooms of which 22 are suites with parlors, which presumably doesn't include the junior suites. It's not a good ratio, but still.......

Also, is there a swimming pool or not? The early announcement, linked in post #1 upthread says yes, but there's nothing I can find on the hotel's website?

I have 2 upcoming stays and used TSU both stays.i booked quite awhile ago.

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31652386)
I have 2 upcoming stays and used TSU both stays.i booked quite awhile ago.

Were the TSU suite upgrades approved for stays this month? What suite category/categories have you confirmed?

BTW, I'm assuming that most guests here are staying only a single night (unless the place becomes a staycation destination like the GH ICN) so I wouldn't expect that many guests here would be using TSUs, although I guess some could upgrade with points or cash as a treat if they have a longish one night stay between exhausting flights.

Maui4me1 Oct 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31652643)
Were the TSU suite upgrades approved for stays this month? What suite category/categories have you confirmed?

BTW, I'm assuming that most guests here are staying only a single night (unless the place becomes a staycation destination like the GH ICN) so I wouldn't expect that many guests here would be using TSUs, although I guess some could upgrade with points or cash as a treat if they have a longish one night stay between exhausting flights.

1 is for October the other for November. Both are Corner Suite/King. I have extra TSU’s to use up.

Adversity Oct 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31652681)
1 is for October the other for November. Both are Corner Suite/King. I have extra TSU’s to use up.

Just spent a Saturday night here as a first time visitor. Requested a quiet room up high, with a view of the International Terminal and the runways and was assigned room 802, which is at the end off the hallway closest to the airport. Might have gotten this as a Globalist though. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly and cordial. Room 802 has a parlor room, containing a small table as a desk, a couch and a wet bar with a large TV attached to the wall. The bedroom is larger in size with an extremely comfortable king bed, another small couch, another giant TV and floor to ceiling windows. The bathroom had a soaking tub next to the window; a long double sink counter; a large walk-in shower and one of those fancy newfangled toilets that senses your approach and automatically raises the lid. The toilet seat is heated and there's a control panel on the wall that includes the flushing function. I didn't dare try any of the other functions.

The Grand Club is in an awkward location in that the entrance to the lunge is on the far side of the Quail & Crane Restaurant. Stopped by to check out the evening snacks and was impressed by the variety but it was all pretty standard for a Grand Hyatt. If hotel food is not your thing, you can catch the AirTran back to the International Terminal where there are landside eateries on the 'A' side and the 'G' side. Breakfast was not available in the Club on Sunday but I was comped the breakfast buffet at the Quail & Crane. The buffet contains the standard selections (scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausages, oatmeal, pastries sliced fruit, cereal, and some dim sum dishes). I was also informed that the Grand Club will start serving breakfast on October 21. The Twin Crafts Market and Twin Crafts bar are both operational although neither were busy during my stay. I did not venture into the Fitness room.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay. The room was very quiet, as the windows are double pane, and there were plenty of power plugs around. The only minor (very minor) issue was that there are no ice machines on the floors so I had to huff it down to the bar to get some.

toomanybooks Oct 23, 2019 1:21 pm

In the Facebook Hyatt Globalist group, someone today posted a review of the lounge/breakfast situation with several photos.

I hope he won't mind me posting a bit of it here:

"The food, along with its presentation and quality, is some of the best I have seen for club lounges. In addition to a broad selection of cured meats and cheeses, there was bacon—some cooked floppy like I like—and mini quiches. There was a big pot of congee—it was a bit too thick for me—with assorted toppings. There were multiple types of breads and bagels, smoked salmon trays, assorted fruits and delicious-looking pastries.

All in all, it was one of the best Globalist breakfasts I have ever had."

Maui4me1 Oct 25, 2019 5:20 pm

We are here now and the Grand Club hours are as follows:

Continental Breakfast
Monday-Friday
6:00AM until 9:30 AM
Saturday -Sunday
7AM until 11:00 AM

Hors D’Oeuvres
Daily 5:PM until 7:00 PM

After Dinner Treats
7:00 PM until 9:00 PM

They had cookies, nuts, pretzels and lots more snacks in the afternoon.

This Hotel is awesome

MSPeconomist Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31666756)
We are here now and the Grand Club hours are as follows:

Continental Breakfast
Monday-Friday
6:00AM until 9:30 AM
Saturday -Sunday
7AM until 11:00 AM

Hors D’Oeuvres
Daily 5:PM until 7:00 PM

After Dinner Treats
7:00 PM until 9:00 PM

They had cookies, nuts, pretzels and lots more snacks in the afternoon.

This Hotel is awesome

They say that elites with lounge access get breakfast in the restaurant if they must leave early on weekends.

I saw some people being served items not on the lounge buffet and another group who entered the lounge at about 10 am and were offered/served breakfast.

Beyond that, the lounge staff graciously went to each table to inform people that the buffet food would be taken away soon. Unlike earlier reports in this thread, staff did not remove the food early at all and latecomers had a good selection.

Honor bar charges are $5 for house wine (Chardonnay or Cabernet, but I think I saw a rose in the refrigerator and one could surely request Merlot) in a very nice glass. The same wine is $44 per bottle on the room service menu or $22 for a half bottle in the fourth floor market next to the bar off the lobby. [The market is supposed to be 24/7 but I'm not sure that CA allows wine sales at all hours.] Tax is added to honor bar charges and IIRC the other choices were beer (selection of domestic, imported, and craft bottles and cans) for $5 and some cocktails for $7.

Despite the hotel being completely full, as a Glob on a cheap AAA rate, I was preassigned (this was obvious when I arrived but it didn't show on my reservation) a corner suite (but not on a top floor) with airplane views, including KE and CX aircraft that spent the evening parked outside of my window. Rates and availability looked good until close to arrival, so I wonder whether some rooms were filled at the last minute with refugees from the fires and power outages in Northern California. [The PG&E power outage maps looked like some of the airport hotels located farther away from SFO might have been in the blackout zones.]

My impression was that the hotel currently has lots and lots of staff, including lower level managers standing around in the lobby. I shared an elevator with three people in uniform (chefs and maintenance I think) who joked that they were brought in from elsewhere to help with the opening. I'm surprised to find this three weeks after the official opening as other new hotels (Hyatt brands in the USA) that I know have tended only to borrow experienced staff for the first week or less.

Maui4me1 Oct 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31679513)
They say that elites with lounge access get breakfast in the restaurant if they must leave early on weekends.

I saw some people being served items not on the lounge buffet and another group who entered the lounge at about 10 am and were offered/served breakfast.

Beyond that, the lounge staff graciously went to each table to inform people that the buffet food would be taken away soon. Unlike earlier reports in this thread, staff did not remove the food early at all and latecomers had a good selection.

Honor bar charges are $5 for house wine (Chardonnay or Cabernet, but I think I saw a rose in the refrigerator and one could surely request Merlot) in a very nice glass. The same wine is $44 per bottle on the room service menu or $22 for a half bottle in the fourth floor market next to the bar off the lobby. [The market is supposed to be 24/7 but I'm not sure that CA allows wine sales at all hours.] Tax is added to honor bar charges and IIRC the other choices were beer (selection of domestic, imported, and craft bottles and cans) for $5 and some cocktails for $7.

Despite the hotel being completely full, as a Glob on a cheap AAA rate, I was preassigned (this was obvious when I arrived but it didn't show on my reservation) a corner suite (but not on a top floor) with airplane views, including KE and CX aircraft that spent the evening parked outside of my window. Rates and availability looked good until close to arrival, so I wonder whether some rooms were filled at the last minute with refugees from the fires and power outages in Northern California. [The PG&E power outage maps looked like some of the airport hotels located farther away from SFO might have been in the blackout zones.]

My impression was that the hotel currently has lots and lots of staff, including lower level managers standing around in the lobby. I shared an elevator with three people in uniform (chefs and maintenance I think) who joked that they were brought in from elsewhere to help with the opening. I'm surprised to find this three weeks after the official opening as other new hotels (Hyatt brands in the USA) that I know have tended only to borrow experienced staff for the first week or less.

Yes, we had an early flight on Saturday morning so we were comped breakfast in the restaurant.