Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Based on recent posts (May 2023) the Grand Club is open with a nice-looking evening spread and is accessible via room key at other times.

AirTrain is generally recommended, but if you really want to walk from the terminals to the hotel, it's entirely possible (pictorial instructions in post 344)
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:00 pm

Why would people stay here when they could stay at the GH in Union Square in the middle of everything in SF?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by baydude
Why would people stay here when they could stay at the GH in Union Square in the middle of everything in SF?
Lots of reasons,...

1. GH Union Square being sold out.

2. GH Union Square having exceptionally high rates on any particular night.

3. GH SFO having exceptionally low rates on any particular night.

4. Combination of the above. E.g., New Year's Eve.

5. Early morning flight.

6. Late night arrival.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339

I took a couple of photos when we were stuck in traffic on the way to the International Terminal last week.

I drove by today and it hasn't changed much.

BTW, you can also see this property from HR SFO.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by baydude
By that logic there would be no such thing as an airport hotel anywhere. And yet there are . . . . I wonder why that is?

Originally Posted by JackE
Lots of reasons,...
7. Would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than give a nickel to GH San Francisco.
LASUA1K, invalyd and flybyFIRE like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by Kacee
7. Would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than give a nickel to GH San Francisco.
How come? I think the service was mediocre and the rooms dated but I didn't find anything else that bad. Is the HR much better?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
How come? I think the service was mediocre and the rooms dated but I didn't find anything else that bad. Is the HR much better?
The property itself is decent (though the lounge is too small). It's management's attitude toward program benefits I have a problem with. Same at HR. Though very much YMMV, as some regulars report better treatment.

Oh, and there's also the destination fee. First properties in SF to impose one I believe.
Rowyourboat likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:46 am

The property itself is decent (though the lounge is too small). It's management's attitude toward program benefits I have a problem with. Same at HR. Though very much YMMV, as some regulars report better treatment.

Oh, and there's also the destination fee. First properties in SF to impose one I believe.
Blatant disregard for TSU, certainly. In themselves, destination fees don't bother me because I just factor them into the true room rate. The one part where they matter is that they are part of the true room rate that doesn't earn points, except of course through card spend.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Aventine
A brand standard. There definitely should be.
I'd hope so, Too many Regencies without Regency Clubs...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Nice Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpafZ_c9yo

Should rank up there with GH DFW
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:11 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Cat 5 / 20k per Night

Looks like the property is classed as a cat 5. Not surprised but would have been nice to see it as a cat 4 to use 1-4 certs at.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
They appear to think quite highly of themselves. Checking mid-week far out (Jan and February 2020) rates are around $500 and up. Would people -or businesses- really pay this for an airport hotel?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Checking mid-week far out (Jan and February 2020) rates are around $500 and up. Would people -or businesses- really pay this for an airport hotel?
Yes. January is a big month for conferences in SF, including JPM Healthcare. And the airport hotels serve both the city and the Peninsula.

I've seen Springhill Suites Belmont over $700/night.

But I wouldn't expect to see those rates for non-conference dates. If that's all you're seeing, they probably haven't loaded the real ones yet.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Yes. January is a big month for conferences in SF, including JPM Healthcare. And the airport hotels serve both the city and the Peninsula.

I've seen Springhill Suites Belmont over $700/night.

But I wouldn't expect to see those rates for non-conference dates. If that's all you're seeing, they probably haven't loaded the real ones yet.
Checked more mid-week member rates out until May of next year and they are all around $400 and up for the lowest price room. Weekend are in the high $200's.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Checked more mid-week member rates out until May of next year and they are all around $400 and up for the lowest price room. Weekend are in the high $200's.
That seems steep. We'll see if it really commands those kinds of prices.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
That seems steep. We'll see if it really commands those kinds of prices.
I doubt it will; those prices should get adjusted lower once they determine the rate the market will bear.
One can debate on comparable properties, but I can find the nearby Westin on some weekends under $110. The HR goes for less than $100 on some weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.