Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 10, 18, 10:00 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 74
Why would people stay here when they could stay at the GH in Union Square in the middle of everything in SF?
baydude is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:26 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by baydude View Post
Why would people stay here when they could stay at the GH in Union Square in the middle of everything in SF?
Lots of reasons,...

1. GH Union Square being sold out.

2. GH Union Square having exceptionally high rates on any particular night.

3. GH SFO having exceptionally low rates on any particular night.

4. Combination of the above. E.g., New Year's Eve.

5. Early morning flight.

6. Late night arrival.
JackE is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:28 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post


I took a couple of photos when we were stuck in traffic on the way to the International Terminal last week.




I drove by today and it hasn't changed much.

BTW, you can also see this property from HR SFO.
JackE is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:09 pm
  #34  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,854
Originally Posted by baydude View Post
Why would people stay here when they could stay at the GH in Union Square in the middle of everything in SF?
By that logic there would be no such thing as an airport hotel anywhere. And yet there are . . . . I wonder why that is?

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Lots of reasons,...
7. Would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than give a nickel to GH San Francisco.
LASUA1K, invalyd and flybyFIRE like this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:36 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat, OZ *G, DL Silver, FB Plat, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
7. Would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than give a nickel to GH San Francisco.
How come? I think the service was mediocre and the rooms dated but I didn't find anything else that bad. Is the HR much better?
Rowyourboat is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:42 pm
  #36  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,854
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat View Post
How come? I think the service was mediocre and the rooms dated but I didn't find anything else that bad. Is the HR much better?
The property itself is decent (though the lounge is too small). It's management's attitude toward program benefits I have a problem with. Same at HR. Though very much YMMV, as some regulars report better treatment.

Oh, and there's also the destination fee. First properties in SF to impose one I believe.
Rowyourboat likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 11:46 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The property itself is decent (though the lounge is too small). It's management's attitude toward program benefits I have a problem with. Same at HR. Though very much YMMV, as some regulars report better treatment.

Oh, and there's also the destination fee. First properties in SF to impose one I believe.
Blatant disregard for TSU, certainly. In themselves, destination fees don't bother me because I just factor them into the true room rate. The one part where they matter is that they are part of the true room rate that doesn't earn points, except of course through card spend.
JackE is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 5:15 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: West
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
A brand standard. There definitely should be.
I'd hope so, Too many Regencies without Regency Clubs...
erickliu is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 12:40 am
  #39  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,066
Nice Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpafZ_c9yo

Should rank up there with GH DFW
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 6:11 pm
  #40  
Moderator: United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Posts: 8,831
Cat 5 / 20k per Night

Looks like the property is classed as a cat 5. Not surprised but would have been nice to see it as a cat 4 to use 1-4 certs at.
J.Edward is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:36 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA
Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Posts: 3,771
They appear to think quite highly of themselves. Checking mid-week far out (Jan and February 2020) rates are around $500 and up. Would people -or businesses- really pay this for an airport hotel?
JIMCHI is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:28 am
  #42  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,854
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Checking mid-week far out (Jan and February 2020) rates are around $500 and up. Would people -or businesses- really pay this for an airport hotel?
Yes. January is a big month for conferences in SF, including JPM Healthcare. And the airport hotels serve both the city and the Peninsula.

I've seen Springhill Suites Belmont over $700/night.

But I wouldn't expect to see those rates for non-conference dates. If that's all you're seeing, they probably haven't loaded the real ones yet.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:26 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA
Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Posts: 3,771
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes. January is a big month for conferences in SF, including JPM Healthcare. And the airport hotels serve both the city and the Peninsula.

I've seen Springhill Suites Belmont over $700/night.

But I wouldn't expect to see those rates for non-conference dates. If that's all you're seeing, they probably haven't loaded the real ones yet.
Checked more mid-week member rates out until May of next year and they are all around $400 and up for the lowest price room. Weekend are in the high $200's.
JIMCHI is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:25 pm
  #44  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,854
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Checked more mid-week member rates out until May of next year and they are all around $400 and up for the lowest price room. Weekend are in the high $200's.
That seems steep. We'll see if it really commands those kinds of prices.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:27 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,508
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That seems steep. We'll see if it really commands those kinds of prices.
I doubt it will; those prices should get adjusted lower once they determine the rate the market will bear.
One can debate on comparable properties, but I can find the nearby Westin on some weekends under $110. The HR goes for less than $100 on some weekends.
iflyjetz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: