Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Based on recent posts (May 2023) the Grand Club is open with a nice-looking evening spread and is accessible via room key at other times.

AirTrain is generally recommended, but if you really want to walk from the terminals to the hotel, it's entirely possible (pictorial instructions in post 344)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Since there doesn't seem to be a way to walk to a train to the city, what is the best way to get from the GH SFO to the city? Take the Red or Blue train to a BART station? I looked at the property website and Google Maps to no avail.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Since there doesn't seem to be a way to walk to a train to the city, what is the best way to get from the GH SFO to the city? Take the Red or Blue train to a BART station? I looked at the property website and Google Maps to no avail.
There's a BART station right at the airport. You'll need to take SFOs air tram to get there from the GH.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You could walk if you really wanted to -- take the back elevators down to level 1 and go out the valet parking entrance, walk towards and through the parking garage, and you'll end up at the A terminal. Enter and go upstairs and walk over to G and BART.

Basically the reverse of what I posted in #344

dpb132 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zorak
You could walk if you really wanted to -- take the back elevators down to level 1 and go out the valet parking entrance, walk towards and through the parking garage, and you'll end up at the A terminal. Enter and go upstairs and walk over to G and BART.

Basically the reverse of what I posted in #344

You could, but I'd just take either the Red (1 stop) or Blue (2 stops) line train.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You could, but I'd just take either the Red (1 stop) or Blue (2 stops) line train.
If you take the Blue line, it's better to stay on until Garage G/Bart, which I believe is currently 6 stops with the construction in T1. Either one will get you there.

https://www.flysfo.com/passengers/gr...ing-around-sfo

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 26, 2022 at 9:26 pm
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
If you take the Blue line, it's better to stay on until Garage G/Bart, which I believe is currently 6 stops with the construction in T1. Either one will get you there.
I think it depends how much luggage you have and how much you mind walking across the international terminal. For me it's an easy call to get off at A and walk. It's faster if you're even a moderate pace walker. For those who choose to take the train all the way around, I'd recommend the G Terminal stop rather than the G Garage/BART stop.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:57 am

Just had a one-night stay; upgraded to corner suite from base room. This was a late booking and corner suite inventory was not showing - so it seems the hotel holds some of these for day of arrival upgrades. My vote for best Hyatt elite treatment in the US.

Assigned room 702 (as opposed to usual 1102). In this particular room, you're looking right into the AirTrain station, which is kind of, um, interesting. It's also closer to the tarmac, so the views of aircraft on the A terminal apron are a little better than from 11th floor. Overall, I prefer privacy of 11th floor, but certainly appreciated the upgrade.

Restaurant is floundering a bit and in need of adult supervision. Dinner menu is weird, breakfast menu is dull; the execution at dinner was okay, but breakfast was just plain bad.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Just had a one-night stay; upgraded to corner suite from base room. This was a late booking and corner suite inventory was not showing - so it seems the hotel holds some of these for day of arrival upgrades. My vote for best Hyatt elite treatment in the US.

Assigned room 702 (as opposed to usual 1102). In this particular room, you're looking right into the AirTrain station, which is kind of, um, interesting. It's also closer to the tarmac, so the views of aircraft on the A terminal apron are a little better than from 11th floor. Overall, I prefer privacy of 11th floor, but certainly appreciated the upgrade.

Restaurant is floundering a bit and in need of adult supervision. Dinner menu is weird, breakfast menu is dull; the execution at dinner was okay, but breakfast was just plain bad.
Pretty much my perception just reading reviews, seeing pics and viewing their menu.
I stated in a recent post that Hyatt is fast losing its way in Food and beverage in the US and doing great things abroad with much impressive effort.
Cannot understand what is happening.Historically Hyatt once was leagues above other hotel companies.
Premium club lounges with very nice offerings consistently and dependable restaurants some as good as stand alone restaurants.Not so much anymore
It was trending downwards over the past years and then then the pandemic hit and boom!
.As just one sad example.Grand Hyatt DFW was one of my faves for years.Breakfast was terrible on my last visit with
spoiled produce over cooked eggs etc Once the food/dining isn't enjoyable I can really get a room just about anywhere and order door dash in.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:58 pm

Agreed, the restaurant used to be much better. On a recent stay, dinner was average at best and breakfast was noticeably worse than before.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
After a flt from OGG we'll have a ~10 hour layover at SFO. Arriving 8:30 ish and departing at 0700 on a Monday morning. It looks like staying at the GH makes the most sense. Our bags will be through checked with AS. How much time should we allow for security and the train ride to E/D gates? We do have precheck.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by philemer
After a flt from OGG we'll have a ~10 hour layover at SFO. Arriving 8:30 ish and departing at 0700 on a Monday morning. It looks like staying at the GH makes the most sense. Our bags will be through checked with AS. How much time should we allow for security and the train ride to E/D gates? We do have precheck.
If you're departing AS, that's T2, D gates. I'd budget 10 minutes to get from the hotel to T2 security. You can take either red or blue line, with blue being slightly quicker. How long for security depends on whether you have Pre and/or Clear. I have both and am typically through in about 2 minutes. All D gates are then a sub-5 minute walk from security.

It won't be an issue with an 8:30 pm arrival, but we arrived on AA at 12:30 am this week and only the blue line was running. That's 20 minutes plus, as it takes you all the way out to long-term parking and back. Pretty inefficient given that the hotel is only about 500 yards away. We wound up walking instead. Took about ten minutes. The tricky part is you have to walk through the terminal to A Garage and take the elevator down to ground level.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
If you're departing AS, that's T2, D gates. I'd budget 10 minutes to get from the hotel to T2 security. You can take either red or blue line, with blue being slightly quicker. How long for security depends on whether you have Pre and/or Clear. I have both and am typically through in about 2 minutes. All D gates are then a sub-5 minute walk from security.

It won't be an issue with an 8:30 pm arrival, but we arrived on AA at 12:30 am this week and only the blue line was running. That's 20 minutes plus, as it takes you all the way out to long-term parking and back. Pretty inefficient given that the hotel is only about 500 yards away. We wound up walking instead. Took about ten minutes. The tricky part is you have to walk through the terminal to A Garage and take the elevator down to ground level.
Thanks for the good info, Kacee. Yes, flying AS and we have Pre Ck. So if we leave the GH about 0530 or 0546 we should have time for a quick breakfast at Lark Creek Grill too.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by philemer
The train journey and walk from the GH is about 12-15 minutes to E/D gates.
SFO though can be bad for Security!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Markie
The train journey and walk from the GH is about 12-15 minutes to E/D gates.
SFO though can be bad for Security!
It would be at least 5-10 minutes farther for E (depending on where you clear security), but that's not relevant for an AS departure, as UA is the sole carrier utilizing E.

With Clear and Pre, I've never waited more than 3 or 4 minutes for security at T2 and it is typically less than that. Clear can save up to 5 minutes or so over the regular Pre line.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by freckles123
Agreed, the restaurant used to be much better. On a recent stay, dinner was average at best and breakfast was noticeably worse than before.
I had dinner and breakfast here in sept. And while dinner wasn't "bad", I'll agree that I remember the menu being a hodgepodge of randomly themed entrees. The wine list was pretty extensive and reasonably priced though.

I thought breakfast was solid, if not exactly super deluxe. Salmon bagel almost had too much salmon for me to eat. The french press coffee was a hit. And the fruit plate was fresh and tasty. I met two friends for breakfast who were staying in a different room (who also enjoyed their food) and they wiped everything off the check for them too when I handed over the globalist voucher. They didn't have to do that, nor did I ask for any favors. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see the coffees, juices, entrees, sides, and gratuity get taken care of.

I always get good service here, and try to stay here whenever possible even if the HR or the Marriott down the street are a little cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.