Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 17, 20, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's not a fee, it's just an authorization for any additional charges you may incur. It's standard for properties to take an authorization at check-in for additional charges. And $50 per night is the standard Hyatt amount.
Ah I didn’t hear the per night part of it. My hearing is trash so plexiglass and a mask on top of it and I’m just not a good guy to talk to
Old Jul 9, 20, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
Originally Posted by CaptJOB View Post
Ah I didn’t hear the per night part of it. My hearing is trash so plexiglass and a mask on top of it and I’m just not a good guy to talk to
How long was the ride back to to terminal on the Blue Line?
Old Jul 9, 20, 3:29 pm

Took about 20 minutes to get back to Terminal 3. Goes from the Hyatt to the rental car center, then completes the rest of the loop.
Old Jul 9, 20, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Really a shame that a dedicated walking path to the terminals wasn't part of the design when the hotel was built, instead of having to rely on the AirTrain which was subject to service outages even in normal times.
Old Jul 9, 20, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Really a shame that a dedicated walking path to the terminals wasn't part of the design when the hotel was built, instead of having to rely on the AirTrain which was subject to service outages even in normal times.
Yep. So close yet so far.

With service reductions, you're currently guaranteed a wasted 15 minutes on the return to the terminal.
Old Jul 30, 20, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Spent a night at the GH SFO earlier this week due to an overnight connection. The market in the lobby is still the only food/bev place that’s open. Delivery to room is $4 (service charge == tip). As a Discoverist was upgraded to a “runway” view on the 12th floor. Quite nice except that there wasn’t a whole lot to see given that the International A concourse appears to be shut down at the moment. Still, comfortable room, and a decent deal for $179+tax minus 15% (Chase Offers promo).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 2, 20, 1:30 pm
Hyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
Grand Hyatt SFO = One of Best Airport Hotels in the World

Grand Hyatt at SFO

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Grand Hyatt at SFO

55 South McDonnell Road San Francisco, California US 94128

Grand Hyatt SFO = One of Best Airport Hotels in the World (14 Photos)

Grand Hyatt at SFO

I am surprised that feedback on FT about GH SFO is somewhat mixed; for what it’s worth my experience was very good is just about any aspect.  I have only stayed there once which is not enough to draw solid conclusions, in addition I do not stay in USA hotels very often so I am perhaps not the best judge in this part of the world, that said compared to other airport hotels anywhere else, GH SFO is among the best, if not the very best airport hotel I have stayed at.  What plays in GH’s favor is that most airport hotels are usually lesser brands such as Hyatt Regency, Hilton, Marriott, or Sheraton and there are not lots of hotels of the caliber of a GH which are directly connected to airport.  I found the hardware to be great (at least the suite I had), the elite treatment excellent given covid circumstances, and the service was very good as well, in stark contrast to some hotels which currently fail miserably in covid times.

Room

Some Globalists have reported subpar room upgrades in the past and I would assume that the situation is different when the hotel is quite full which was not the case when I stayed.  I booked the cheapest room type and was upgraded to a Grand Suite which I believe is two categories higher than the junior suite.  It was done proactively without me asking anything at check-in and was obviously quite generous.IMG_2911.jpegIMG_2913.jpegIMG_2915.jpeg

I thought the Grand Suite was … grand!  Well, at least for airport hotel standards - I have not seen a room this high quality at an airport before.  First off, in my opinion suites must have 1.5 bathroom to be among the best and this one ticks the box.  The main bathroom was spacious and well done including a stand-alone rain shower, in addition to the half bath near the entrance.  I would be curious where else can we find a Toto toilet in an airport hotel outside of Asia, heck even in Japan some hotels do not have Toto toilets.1_IMG_2910.jpegIMG_2916.jpegIMG_2917.jpegIMG_2918.jpegIMG_2920.jpeg

There were other technological features which are a nice touch, for example instead of the traditional fish eye to see who is knocking at the door, there was an electronic camera that you can turn on and see clearly on the other side of the door.  There were also small lights below the bed that automatically turned on when we stepped foot on the floor during the night, which I appreciated because I did not need to go to the bathroom using my phone as a flashlight.IMG_2928.jpeg

The views from the room were nice as well by looking straight at the airport terminal and the (few) aircrafts parked there at the moment and the hotel provided binoculars in the room.IMG_2912.jpegIMG_2921.jpeg

I rarely comment about beds in hotel reviews because they are usually neither great or awful… just average.  But at GH SFO the bed was far more comfortable than the vast majority of hotels and made me wonder if the mattress was a Tempurpedic or something similar.IMG_2914.jpeg

Perhaps the only mild negative I could find about the room is that bathroom amenities were Pharmacopia in large dispenser bottles.  This brand is possibly more aligned with Hyatt Regency than Grand Hyatt in my opinion. IMG_2930.jpeg

Dining

The Club Lounge was closed due to covid but that was fully understandable given the situation in California, unlike some hotels elsewhere in the world which use covid as an excuse to cut costs.  Rather than providing nothing, they offered 500 bonus points as compensation for the lounge being closed in addition to two vouchers for a snack which could be used in the evening or in the morning.  The snack was not some poor offering like many other hotels, in fact I was impressed that we could have warm dishes for example chicken fried rice. IMG_2929.jpeg

Service

While my stay was brief, every interaction was staff was good so I have nothing negative to report in terms of service.  I was warmly welcomed upon arrival and explained the current situation at the hotel.  All miscellaneous requests were met quickly and efficiently such as printing documents and delivering to my room and service at the snack shop was friendly as well.  It might be that other guests who reported subpar service in the past had different experiences when the hotel was full and busy but at least for my stay it was flawless.

Wifi

Wifi worked ok during our stay with speeds of about 10 Mbps.

Overall

All in all I am struggling to find a weakness to this hotel based on my quick visit.  Perhaps I wish it was a bit closer to the airport rather than require the Air Train, but even then, for me it’s still much better than having to take a shuttle bus which would be the case for any other hotel in SFO so in terms of location I cannot say it’s a weakness.  I can highly recommend this hotel and even more so for Globalists members; I would dare to say it might belong on the list of one of the best airport hotels anywhere in the world, even better than in Asia.

Grand Hyatt SFO = One of Best Airport Hotels in the World

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt at SFO?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Good review well done
If you wouldn't mind how is the bed firmness here? My experience for years has been the Hyatt Regency SFO and the Westin SFO have pillow tops with medium firmness
Some Hyatt's have gone to cement in firmness Granted its all subjective/personal taste. I like foam toppers a lot solves the issue or thick feather duvets
What are the breakfast options in the morning generally?
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:35 pm

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
If you wouldn't mind how is the bed firmness here? My experience for years has been the Hyatt Regency SFO and the Westin SFO have pillow tops with medium firmness
Some Hyatt's have gone to cement in firmness Granted its all subjective/personal taste. I like foam toppers a lot solves the issue or thick feather duvets
What are the breakfast options in the morning generally?
Cement firmness seems to be more prevalent at Park Hyatts where we stayed the last few years. But at GH SFO the mattress was quite soft and felt like foam top, so I think you would like it.

Regarding the temporary "covid" breakfast, with the voucher it was not much... coffee plus one bakery item. We ended up picking the chicken fried rice instead (even though it was morning - I should have clarified in my review), just like if we were in Asia
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
coffee plus one bakery item

Wow.. we have an upcoming stay so I called regarding the breakfasts and was told you could order from the market eggs, omelets, pancakes etc..Wrong info??
Old Oct 2, 20, 4:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Cement firmness seems to be more prevalent at Park Hyatts where we stayed the last few years. But at GH SFO the mattress was quite soft and felt like foam top, so I think you would like it.

Regarding the temporary "covid" breakfast, with the voucher it was not much... coffee plus one bakery item. We ended up picking the chicken fried rice instead (even though it was morning - I should have clarified in my review), just like if we were in Asia
You know your Hyatt beds!!! Well said and so true!That is truly great news on the beds!
As for the breakfast that would be the second disappointment besides the wall mounted gymnasium shower dispenser toiletries during the current Covid situation
Unsanitary to me.Maybe I've been reading to many posts from Gary on "View From a Wing" he isn't a fan either of wall mounted toiletries either
If they don't improve the breakfast situation I may seek out another hotel.
I have stays booked here in November and December however I am not getting on long flights without proper breakfasts even if I have to stay Downtown
or another brand.They need to operate a room service option even if the restaurant is closed.As one data point
The Hyatt Regency La Jolla is a doing a great job with room service breakfast even if its delivered in boxes and paper plates.
I can live with a closed club but not without a decent breakfast.Was impressed
escape4 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At an upscale airport hotel, I would expect many guests to have the option either to have breakfast on the flight or in an airport lounge. If the coupons for F&B were useful later in the evening than when the hotel lounge would normally cease food offerings for the night, that would be a plus for me.
Old Oct 2, 20, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 View Post
we have an upcoming stay so I called regarding the breakfasts and was told you could order from the market eggs, omelets, pancakes etc..Wrong info??
They might have changed it recently, my review is belated from early September. See voucher below, unfortunately I did not take a picture of the detailed menu - perhaps market eggs were listed there as a "breakfast item".

Old Oct 2, 20, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
At an upscale airport hotel, I would expect many guests to have the option either to have breakfast on the flight or in an airport lounge. If the coupons for F&B were useful later in the evening than when the hotel lounge would normally cease food offerings for the night, that would be a plus for me.
That would indeed be quite useful, but unfortunately I suspect the coupons are only temporary while there is no lounge.
Old Oct 2, 20, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
All in all I am struggling to find a weakness to this hotel based on my quick visit.
Let me help you out

Flow restrictor and poor shower head combine to produce a sprinkle rather than a shower.

Motion sensitive light in entryway turns on for ten minutes if you move anywhere in the room. I discovered engineering can turn this off for you They can't turn off the motion sensitive lights under the bed though

Not the hotel's fault, but if you ever arrive late at night to find the red train not running, you'll likely find yourself cursing all the way out the Rental Car Center and back.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: