Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Thanks/ hotel did confirm that they no longer offer the food upgrades.

We tried a few of the food places over the last couple of days- general feedback on food:

- el Mercado buffet- dinner was Brazilian theme like a churascaria- having been to both Brazilian and NYC churascarias, it was pretty bad by comparison.

- Lorenzo italian- pizza was pretty good brick oven, salad bar was pretty good for apps and did dishes. Overall I enjoyed my meal and felt good after

- desert place is sensory overload for all senses except taste. Most things from chocolate taste pretty bland. Kids enjoy the cotton candy so thats that

- drinks are watered down, dont seem to contain any -OH at all sometimes

The night shows are actually pretty good and performers are decently talented. They remind me of variety shows weve paid real $$$ to see in other cities around the world.

The resort is sold out, but we havent had any problems finding beach chairs or Poole cabanas to use. Its nice you dont have to pay for the cabanas.

I knew the kids club was also included in the price, but somehow forgot how much other resorts charge for it. For 3 kids we easily spend $100+ per day on the kids club alone. Overall I would say we are saving around $500 a day between kids club, pool drinks and snack, dinners, and activities. Given we are paying 50k points plus $110 for the fifth wheel in the family, and I value the points at around 2 cents, its as if we are paying a room rate of $300 per room per night. I probably could have done better just paying $300 a night and a la carte meals, so I dont think it is a good use of points here.

Overall the resort services is very good- and people really go out of their way in ways I havent seen at other resorts. I give management credit for hiring, incentives, and training on that front.

The biggest gripe is that we might as well be on a cruise ship, or in Greece, or on the gulf in Texas- it wouldnt matter- the experience is so sanitized that I now have a glimpse of what lunar or martian living is going to be like. Will be heading out do the resort to explore more of Cancun.

frogss29 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
I was there last Sept 2018 and received the vouchers for the lobster and steak. The steak is for a tomahawk. It was pretty bad. I definitely wouldn't pay for it so you're not missing out on much. The lobster voucher could be redeemed at Tradewinds and the french restaurant. We decided since the steak was so bad at Tradewinds, we would try redeeming the lobster at the french restaurant. The lobster was also pretty bad so you are also not missing out on much.

I really enjoyed my room and the resort grounds, but the food was just okay. I was pretty disappointed in most of the food establishments. The Italian restaurant, food truck and taco place were pretty good though. I also liked the coffee shop, but other than that, Tradewinds was meh, the Asian place was not good at all, buffet was okay and the french restaurant was disappointing. The dessert shop was cool, but most desserts were just okay. I did not try the place that looks like a Johnny Rockets.

We also used USA Transfer and they were great. I would definitely use them again.
I love Ziva Cancun, but I agree that both sides of the Asian place (Moongate) is awful. Wish they'd replace it with something else.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:48 pm

Staying as Globalist at Ziva Cancun, award booking on points - do they charge resort fees?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by johndoes
Staying as Globalist at Ziva Cancun, award booking on points - do they charge resort fees?
Never been charged a resort fee there. Not sure if they have them or not, but as a globalist you'll never get charged a resort fee on an award or eligible rate
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:05 pm

No resort fees for anyone.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:24 pm

Does the hotel provide pool floats for babies or should we bring our own?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by WoodenRobot
Does the hotel provide pool floats for babies or should we bring our own?
The hotel is pretty full-service, but you should definitely bring your own baby.
Probably should bring your own float along too. They'll likely have one (float, not baby) at a gift shop, but it'll be pricey.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
The hotel is pretty full-service, but you should definitely bring your own baby.
Probably should bring your own float along too. They'll likely have one (float, not baby) at a gift shop, but it'll be pricey.
Gift shop sure is pricey. We ran out of sunblock and had to pay $30usd for a standard one!!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Gift shop sure is pricey. We ran out of sunblock and had to pay $30usd for a standard one!!
Solution: Walk 10 minutes to the marketplace area....
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Solution: Walk 10 minutes to the marketplace area....

When we ran out of sunblock, there was a sale, so we paid about 15. When my flip flops broke a day later, we went to the marketplace area because we didn't want to pay 35.00 for those.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
how much are we talking about at gift shop? I can get one on amazon for $25.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:06 pm

I couldn't tell you about the pool float, but I bought a pair of sunglasses here, saw them a couple days later at the Ritz Carlton for about half the price. Some cheap brand, I think it was Panama Jack?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:18 pm

The gift shops at the Ziva are VERY expensive... probably comparable to Hawaii prices. But, AGAIN, there is a simple solution: walk literally 10 minutes and you will find a huge marketplace area with all kinds of shops. Prices in this area are higher than mainland Mexico but much lower than Ziva gift shops.. Oh and don't believe what you read if you are concerned about safety, the entire Cancun hotel zone is very very very safe.... I would consider my local mall to be a greater safety concern than the marketplace areas near the Ziva.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:36 pm

Agreed re: Marketplace - my luggage didnt arrive first day on a trip 2 years ago ... concierge directed us here:
https://goo.gl/maps/f36ruPpvTBU2

5 min walk from front gate, safe, breezy, they described it as a Mexican Walmart
Buy toys there for $5, dont have to pack on airplane...
Sunscree, flip flps, etc.
WoodenRobot likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
For those who have paid the extra $110 a night for an extra guest on an award stay I am wondering if you received any Hyatt points for this spend? I paid for 10 nights, which would be about 7K points if I was to receive credit for them. Thanks.
danbnash likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.