Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
That's definitely sad to hear. I was there January of 2017 and really liked it (I thought it was one of the best Hyatt properties) so I am going back there next month.

Last time I was there, I also noticed that waiter's attitude got worse when we did not order a bottle of wine at Lorenzo's. so I assume nothing is new on this.

I will report back once I stayed there! Hopefully it hasn't drastically gone bad.
I just got back a few days ago myself using a TSU and didn't have any issues worth mentioning. Food quality was fine for us overall, it's really hit or miss on the dish and how it gets cooked. This was only our second visit to an all-inclusive, 2 years back we stayed at the Zilara in Cancun, so we have low expectations about them. Both times we've come back happy with our stay.

Full disclosure - We personally don't see the value proposition with paying for all-inclusive places so I booked on points both times.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
My points of comparison was Dec 2015 and last year. Lorenzo 2015 was by far the best, outstripping anything at Zilara in 2015. Did not return to Zilara. If you are comparing to Zilara - yes, the food would be around that level or perhaps a little less, depending on what's ordered, cook's mood, etc. I remember Maria Maria as the standout at Zilara, like Habeneros at Ziva.

Will not be returning - don't see the point.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
We have only been to this resort once, in October and we won't be returning.
We have never been to an 'all inclusive' resort before and weren't sure what to expect.
Our turquoise suite was nice.....not fabulous, but nice and we were happy with it.
Staff there were really good.
Restaurant food had no taste.....and realised when we went outside the resort what was missing - it was the SMELL! There were no yummy smells coming from the kitchens enticing us.
Absolutely LOVED the Turquoise pool staff. And the pool.
REALLY disliked the French restaurant. We must have had the same waiter because when we failed to order a bottle of wine, we were treated like a bad smell and ignored.
One of the plusses of being a globalist there is getting four vouchers to get free lobster dinners or upsizing the steak dinners.
And that is another thing....not one restaurant had the 'add on prices' for steaks or lobsters. Not sure how you would know lobster was on the menu?????
Anyway, we definitely didnt love this resort. Felt a little caged in.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by frogss29
REALLY disliked the French restaurant. We must have had the same waiter because when we failed to order a bottle of wine, we were treated like a bad smell and ignored.
One of the plusses of being a globalist there is getting four vouchers to get free lobster dinners or upsizing the steak dinners.
After I ordered it, even the captain came by and talked to us with a wide smile. I asked, and was told that the reserved room at the back could be gotten for US$180.

Didn't even know the vouchers existed. Meh.

I noticed certain people walking around with $10 notes, to use as tip. They do realize this is mexico?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frogss29
....One of the plusses of being a globalist there is getting four vouchers to get free lobster dinners or upsizing the steak dinners.....
Did you get those four vouchers at check in? Was it one per day? This is news to me.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
Did you get those four vouchers at check in? Was it one per day? This is news to me.
As a Globalist I got 2 for lobsters and 2 to be used at Tradewinds. At Tradewinds you could use them for lobster or upsized to a larger/premium steak (whatever that means). They did allow us to use 2 of them for a Tomahawk steak but I didn't think that was worth it as it took a long while to cook since they're frozen in the back. You may have to ask about the vouchers during check-in if they forget, the Butler assigned to us grabbed them after taking us to our room.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:14 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by pWei

I noticed certain people walking around with $10 notes, to use as tip. They do realize this is mexico?
Actually all tips are included at Ziva and Zilara.... While I usually do tip generously, but if specifically mentioned that all tips are included, I don't think it is wise to tip additionally.....
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
We were given the vouchers by our butler during check in , in our room.
Re tipping.......we were told the resort is 'all inclusive' but tip for extra special service.
I think tipping is still expected here.
We tipped the housekeeper every day.
And the coffee guys....amazing coffee!!!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I came back to this thread just to see comments since my July trip. I see quite a few complaints starting with "We have only been to this resort once, in October and we won't be returning. We have never been to an 'all inclusive' resort before and weren't sure what to expect." So never been to an all-inclusive and didn't know what to expect? Do any research before spending good money on a vacation? Just saying....starting out a review with that information makes me just skip the rest of the comments in the post. Anyways comparing my stay to some of the recent comments I have a few opinions of my own below. Enjoy!

As far as tipping, it's included in the price. But my opinion is if someone is willing to provide excellent service then they deserve at least a small tip. I find that if you let people know what you expect from them they will provide the service you need, especially if you follow up with a tip. If you do this from the time you enter the resort you will find the staff will know what you expect from them. I don't really believe there is a perfect resort out there which will read your mind and provide 100% excellent service...unless you get lucky once in a while with great staff your entire stay. I don't care much about simple comments relating to poor service because often people do not confront resort staff. They just take the service they get and do not let anyone know they are dissatisfied then write a sad story online. It carries no weight IMO.

Also, if you are reading this then you must have been researching Hyatt all inclusive for a reason. If you don't know what resources or opportunities are available to you because of your Globalist status prior to your arrival it's your own fault IMO. You are your best advocate in life. If you've worked hard to gain your Hyatt rewards then know what your status gives you prior to your stay. It might actually take some real effort on your part to know all the benefits of your status.

"not one restaurant had the 'add on prices' for steaks or lobsters." Um...did you ask? I saw prices during our stay in July...but if I wanted Lobster or Steak and didn't see a price then I would have asked if the price was an issue. FWIW, lobster and steak are always on the menu IMO! Let people know what you want and they will get it for you! When did people become so lazy that they just complain about everything instead of taking the initiative to make things happen for themselves?

If you read my full review from my July trip this year you will see that I addressed the issues we had with hotel staff. You will be surprised how your service changes if you tell them what you expect. I would consider some of the negative comments being helpful if people would have stated they addressed the issues. But for the most part, people don't say anything...they just complain after their trip. Okay off my soap box. If you stay at Hyatt Ziva Cancun I hope your stay is as good as ours was this year.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Actually all tips are included at Ziva and Zilara.... While I usually do tip generously, but if specifically mentioned that all tips are included, I don't think it is wise to tip additionally.....
My point exactly. And 10 USD might be rather excessive in Mexico. I do tip if I saw exceptional, out of the norm service. Sadly no one provided that my most recent trip.

Edit:
Originally Posted by benosufan
If you don't know what resources or opportunities are available to you because of your Globalist status prior to your arrival it's your own fault IMO. You are your best advocate in life. If you've worked hard to gain your Hyatt rewards then know what your status gives you prior to your stay. It might actually take some real effort on your part to know all the benefits of your status.
benosufan - I think you miss the point of service. Of course DYKWIA will many times get you what you want. This quote sums it up nicely.

Last edited by pWei; Dec 19, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy platinum
Heading to Ziva in 2 weeks and don't remember if the outlets require a converter. Thanks for your answers!!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by reubenfairbird
Heading to Ziva in 2 weeks and don't remember if the outlets require a converter. Thanks for your answers!!

no converter needed.

Have a Great trip!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:07 am

We're headed to the Ziva Cancun at the end of January. We booked on points (resort view) and the hotel definitely has capacity based on current rates. For those who visited recently, what room upgrade options were offered (i.e, cost to upgrade to ocean view, club room, turquoise tower, etc.). Thanks in advance for the info.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:59 pm

I had planned on going to the Ziva for our 10 year anniversary. Bought my plane tickets and was waiting on my points to post before booking 5 nights there. There were rooms available through points last week and now that I have my points it says "Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search.". What do I do?! Any way around this? There are still rooms available, just not through points. Anyone every had any experience with this?

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by rinercs
I had planned on going to the Ziva for our 10 year anniversary. Bought my plane tickets and was waiting on my points to post before booking 5 nights there. There were rooms available through points last week and now that I have my points it says "Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search.". What do I do?! Any way around this? There are still rooms available, just not through points. Anyone every had any experience with this?

Thanks
Call WoH to book.

Welcome to flyertalk! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.