FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1725097-hyatt-ziva-cancun-review-master-thread.html)

duhe Apr 7, 2016 6:09 am

You have to contact customer service.

Nat25 Apr 7, 2016 9:49 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 26449115)
How are people redeeming free nights? it seems like they never have award inventory

Check multiple times a day. One night at a time. It took me a week or so but i was able to find award inventory this way.

britishcanuck May 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Just got a mailer announcing "Turquoize" at Hyatt Ziva Cancun. An adults only tower.

More info here http://cancun.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hote...turquoize.html

mauld May 19, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm planning a trip back to the Ziva Cancun and was wondering if anyone can let me know if they now take Amex? When I was there in Nov 2015-- they only accepted Visa & MC credit cards (no debit and no Amex).

mauld May 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I too was less than thrilled with my initial visit in Nov 2015, as merely Platinum, I got exactly what I paid for (no mention of any kind of upgrade). I will be going back in Aug and given the more recent rave reviews, am expecting a much better experience. I again booked the Club level, any idea if they have the Nespresso machines in the rooms (as stated in the brochure), and if they 'stock' the room beverage center with more than 2 beers and 2 sodas?

Triadtravel May 23, 2016 9:48 am

Sick Kid = Needy Parents = Underwhelming Service

The bulk of this is a copy and paste from my tripadvisor review. Added in some more specifics here around the DSU and process with the kid.

As a Hyatt Diamond member who stays in Hyatts 50-60 nights a year and someone who travels to Riviera Maya 2-3 times a year, when this resort was announced, I couldn’t ask for a better combination. Hyatt service and diamond perks at an all-inclusive resort. A perfect combination for me.

I will also concede that for various reasons below, I was much more needy as a guest than any other resort I have stayed at, though I don’t think I am being out of line with my comments.

Pre-Arrival – I used a DSU when the resort first opened and was put into a Pyramid Suite. After reading reviews and a few IMs with other people, I realized the room was just two stories without anything nice extra. I contacted reservations about downgrading from the “suite” and going into a Swim-up, since we liked swim up rooms and they were $50 less a night. The agent made it clear it was not a suite and made the change. Appreciated the flexibility.

A few weeks prior to the trip, I had asked a question on the Facebook page about the adults only pool/bar on top of the tower. The reply back clearly stated that Diamond Members had access to the pool and bar.

A week before our trip, our baby sitter at home had an emergency and was unable to watch our 11 month old son. We had decided to bring him with us since it was a family friendly resort. The resort has “rules” that do not allow anyone under 13 years old in a swim-up suite. I understand the safety risks, but our kid can’t walk yet. I sent an email to the GM and he was very accommodating, asked that we sign a waiver and allowed us to bring him in the room. Of the 10-12 swim-ups that all shared the same pool, one room had a newborn baby, another had two girls that looked like they were 8-10 and another had a 6 year old. I am glad they are flexible with that rule, but he made it sound like it was a major exception for me.

Arrival – We arrived shortly after 2:00, the bell boys took our bags, I pointed out our name on his list and did see I was marked as diamond. They took us to the desk where the clerk started to check us in. Every other resort in the area beings you a cold towel and glass of champagne for the check-in. We received nothing. No acknowledgment as a Diamond member. As she was going over the bars and restaurants, she made it very clear that we were not allowed up to the adults only tower/pool because we were not staying there. Since we knew we had the kid, decided not to push the issue, but just a case of inconsistent messaging from the staff. I asked her to make sure we had a crib in the room, since it was nap time for our son.

Room – When we arrived in the room, the bed was decorated with rose petals in a heart shape, we had a bottle of bubbly, some desserts and a Happy Anniversary Card. A very nice touch that was not expected. I asked the bell boy about the crib and he said if I told the check-in person, it was on the way. Any other Hyatt I have stayed at brings the crib within 10 minutes. After a brief wait, I picked up the phone, hit the one button that is supposed to be for everything, asked about the crib and they said it would be on its way. We went to eat lunch, returned to our room and….. No crib. Called again, asked why there was the delay, and a crib arrived a few minutes later. As you will see soon, key here is to ask 3 times and be a little mean the third time and they will react.

The room itself was decent. We had a King Swim-up suite. It is advertised as 712 square feet, that must include the patio area as well as part of the pool, because the room is nowhere near that size. They also need to block off the walkway so other guests can’t just walk along side the pool and right by your door. We arrived to find two women camped out on our loungers in the pool, using the towels that were meant for us. In talking to neighbors, they said they complained to the front desk and were given no assistance. A simply planter at the corner would stop people from taking over the “semi-private” area. The view was tremendous and the location was very convenient.

Service – This is where the resort really disappointed us. I fully believe in setting the proper expectations of a guest and doing your best to fulfil what is promised. Shortly after arrival, my son got sick, both him and my wife had developed a bad cough/cold and he actually threw up a little on our bed. That along with the rose petals made the room a disaster. For some reason, the first night there was no turndown service, so after swimming, showering and sickness, there were no towels in the room for the morning. We were up at 7:00 AM and I called and asked how early I could get the room made up. My expectation was a response along the lines of “we will get to you first, but it may not be for an hour or so.” Instead I was told someone would be sent right away. We went off to grab some breakfast so we would not be in the room when they came to clean it. Came back around 8:00 and the room was still not cleaned. Called at 8:00, they said someone would come right away, went and swam for an hour, 9:00 rolls around, still no towels or cleaned room. At that point, it was nap time and we put up the do not disturb sign briefly, took it down for awhile and put it up again. At 12:30, I called again, started to use a stern voice and was put on hold. The gentleman came back and said that housekeeping was “busy” and would show up in 20 minutes. We went off to lunch, came back, the room was clean, rose petals all gone and towels refreshed. If on the first call, they would have said, things are backed up, we may not get to you until Noon, I would not have been happy, but don’t promise immediate service and deliver 4-5 hours later.

The first two days we noticed the toilet would gurgle whenever we ran the shower. The toilet then started to flush like it was partially clogged and the shower also clogged up. The sick wife and kid wanted to take a hot shower to try to clear out their lungs. After running for 2 minutes the shower started to overflow and flood the bathroom. Called for assistance and was told someone would be there right away. Since they were coming, we knew we couldn’t leave the room as we would have to explain the issue and make sure they fixed it. An hour later, I called again, was told someone would be there right away. Another hour later, I called and asked to speak to a manager, someone arrived in 5 minutes with a ladder, which always helps a drained clog. Again, third request with a stern/upset voice gets a response. After 10-15 minutes, all was fixed and all was well in the room.

We did request someone help us with our bags at checkout, the arrived in the room 3-4 minutes early and that was perfect. We did use the babysitting service one night, she arrived 5 minutes early and we were very satisfied with that service. The two times we called room service, they said it would be 40-45 minutes and they were there in 30, a pleasant surprise.

KidZ Club – Our son was too young to be left at the club, but other resorts will let you bring your child into the pool and let them splash around. My wife wanted to take him down the waterslide. We were told that families could only go in the pool area during certain times of the day. I missed that detail in the literature.

Bars/Restaurants – The breakfast buffet (El Mercado) was possibly the best one that we have seen in all of Mexico. This was out 11th resort in the region, and they put on a great breakfast spread. We did lunch at the diner (Chevy’s), Italian (Lorenzo’s), and the last day just grabbed something at the poolside grill. The selection and quality of the food for lunch was also much better than most all inclusive resorts. It would have been nice to be able to get tacos to go instead of having to eat them at the restaurant, but we opted for the grill instead. The wings at the sportsbar (Tes CerveZa’s) were great and better than most wings we get back home. Service at breakfast and lunch was excellent.

Dinners were just OK. The hibachi at Moongate was really tasty and the way they do their seating was much better than most resorts in the region. The server did a great job of keeping our glasses full and they were all helpful when our kid got sick after dinner. The Italian restaurant was great for lunch, but the dinner selections and quality were not as good as at Secrets, Excellence, etc. Same with the French (La Bastille) restaurant, food was OK, service was good, but the quality was lacking compared to other resorts.

Pasteles is a great concept, the desserts were great, but things seemed to be on an unpublished schedule. The first time we went in there the chocolate fountain was running and we grabbed a bunch of stuff. The second time, they were making cotton candy, but the fountain was off and we were told we had to come back sometime later to get the gelato.

The drinks and service at both Saasil and “Juana Margarita?” were outstanding. The 24 hour lounge was a nice touch and great place to get extra water.

The experience at the Casa Café was mixed. The last morning, I waited as the three workers finished up a conversation before taking my order. I asked if they had any drink sleeves, he just laughed at me and said they were out. This was at 7:15 in the morning and after they had them the first three visits on prior days.

Overall – Not a bad resort. The expectations were high given the Hyatt service received all over the world as well as my other visits to other resorts in this region. When we really needed assistance it took hours and three calls to get help. The pre-visit assistance was tremendous, but upon arrival, it did not measure up to expectations. Just cancelled the return visit planned for July and going to try again to leave the kid home and go up the road to the Zilara.

ahoward678 May 23, 2016 11:04 am

We are booked @ Hyatt Ziva Cancun for July and we have a 12 month old. I read several other posts that the property didn't have high chairs for babies? Is that true? How about stroller access? was it good? We stayed at Dreams Tulum a couple of months back and while we loved the beach, we will not return due to the stroller inconveniences. Thanks for the post/review!

Anne

Triadtravel May 23, 2016 1:19 pm

We actually are not big beach people and did not take him out to the beach this time. We are headed back in October with another family and staying at the Finest in Playa Mujeres. He will get his first dip in the ocean then.

Stroller access was ok or as good as could be expected. A lot of back and forth on ramps instead of stairs and a quick elevator in the main building, but it was easy to get to the rooms, restaurants, bars, Etc. It was not a pain point for us.

We were offered a high chair a few times, but travel with our own seat for him. Google "inglesina fast table chair" best $60 we ever spent. So, not sure if every place had one or not. Didn't see a ton of other similar aged kids at lunch or dinner, or don't recall seeing a lot of hughchairs.

He goes out with us 2-3 times a week for dinner and we take that everywhere. Outside of a few, flimsy tables, any bar or table can support that chair. We know it is clean because we clean it, it can hold up to 35 pounds and we get a ton of comments about it. It is easy to use, pretty light to carry and we get a ton of comments on it.

Enjoy your trip. The resort is beautiful. Not sure what your 12 month old eats, but we grabbed some extra fruit and a few kids yogurt drinks at breakfast each day and that helped with snacks. There is also whole milk, though he is still on a few bottles of formula each day. We would heat up some of the bottled water in the coffee machine and mix it with cold water to get the temperature good on his bottles. The 24 hour lounge was great to grab whatever water you wanted.

Even though he only are a little of it, the kids grilled cheese and "pasghetti" and meatballs at the Italian place were a hit. I may have had a meatball or two myself.

Originally Posted by ahoward678 (Post 26669163)
We are booked @ Hyatt Ziva Cancun for July and we have a 12 month old. I read several other posts that the property didn't have high chairs for babies? Is that true? How about stroller access? was it good? We stayed at Dreams Tulum a couple of months back and while we loved the beach, we will not return due to the stroller inconveniences. Thanks for the post/review!

Anne

TerryK May 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by britishcanuck (Post 26616830)
Just got a mailer announcing "Turquoize" at Hyatt Ziva Cancun. An adults only tower.

More info here http://cancun.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hote...turquoize.html

Does Ziva Cancun actually has three separate towers: Main, Club and Turquoize? :confused: Photos seem to show a high rise and a low rise towers.

It reads to me that normal upgrade for Diamonds is to Club Tower. Do they upgrade Diamonds to Turquoize if available?:confused:

AALoyalNYC Jun 1, 2016 2:57 pm

Pyramid Suite Layout

I read through this whole thread, looked online and also called Hyatt CS, but can't seem to find any full confirmation of the layout of the Pyramid Suite. It says 1,319 Sq. Ft. which is enormous, but doesn't specify a separate bedroom. That seems odd given the room size, but given it's two levels I suspect it's "fuzzy numbers."

Can anyone confirm the layout? Material difference for me booking the hotel or not with the two little ones with early bedtimes.

Thanks!

whistler814 Jun 1, 2016 8:12 pm

The Pyramid Suite is 2 levels, with the bedroom on the top level. Full bath on both top (tub+shower) and bottom (shower only) levels. I believe there are only four of these suites in the property. Mommy Points has a nice review.

Below is the floorplan:
https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7468/2...d808cc7b_z.jpg
Hyatt Ziva Cancun Pyramid Suite by whistler814ft, on Flickr

And for comparison, the 1,087 sqft Club Ocean Front Corner Suite:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7302/2...d8c3012b_z.jpg
Hyatt Ziva Cancun Club Ocean Front Corner Suite by whistler814ft, on Flickr

AALoyalNYC Jun 4, 2016 6:03 am

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 26714827)
The Pyramid Suite is 2 levels, with the bedroom on the top level. Full bath on both top (tub+shower) and bottom (shower only) levels. I believe there are only four of these suites in the property. Mommy Points has a nice review.

Below is the floorplan:
https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7468/2...d808cc7b_z.jpg
Hyatt Ziva Cancun Pyramid Suite by whistler814ft, on Flickr

And for comparison, the 1,087 sqft Club Ocean Front Corner Suite:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7302/2...d8c3012b_z.jpg
Hyatt Ziva Cancun Club Ocean Front Corner Suite by whistler814ft, on Flickr

Thank you SO much, this is exactly what I was looking for! Either I've gotten very bad at finding things online or this was not easy to uncover. Much appreciated.

philly20152016 Jun 5, 2016 3:04 pm

My wife and I will stay at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, however, my sisters will be staying at another hotel nearby. Can she come and visit us? I have never stayed at an all inclusive with Hyatt before. Does the hotel use brace id or something similar to recognize its guests?

Triadtravel Jun 6, 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by philly20152016 (Post 26732923)
My wife and I will stay at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, however, my sisters will be staying at another hotel nearby. Can she come and visit us? I have never stayed at an all inclusive with Hyatt before. Does the hotel use brace id or something similar to recognize its guests?

With this resort being right in the hotel zone, it seemed like during the day you can come and go and no one asked your name, room number, etc. If they walked right in with you and acted like they knew where they were going they would probably not be stopped. However, if you were to try to get them something at a restaurant, they would know. Every meal they ask room number and last name and they check the computer to see how many people.

I think a quick visit and possible swim in the pool/drink you can get away with.

rbw5t Jun 7, 2016 3:33 pm

Does anyone have an email address for this property? I want to use a DSU in October, but there's no Pyramid Suite availability. At other properties I've had luck writing directly and having them put us in a different suite. Thanks for any help!