Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 21, 22, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Ok. How about this scenario... I have it booked for 5 nights. Could I pay the cash right for just 2 of those nights? Or does it need to be all the nights?
Old Feb 21, 22, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swhang View Post
Ok. How about this scenario... I have it booked for 5 nights. Could I pay the cash right for just 2 of those nights? Or does it need to be all the nights?
Youre better off contacting the property directly for this type of thing.
Old Feb 22, 22, 7:08 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Anyone have experience with upgrading to Turquoise Tower? I'm booking for Labor Day weekend which is considered off-peak, so I'd prefer to use points, but Turquoise isn't an option, only a standard room (resort view) or standard suite (pyramid corner suite). We booked a standard room a year ago and got offered an upgrade for $100 a night upon check-in, but I'd prefer to know in advance.

I assume if you arrange an upgrade, that'll come with the airport transfer that's part of the Turquoise room rate also?
Old Feb 22, 22, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Anyone have experience with upgrading to Turquoise Tower? I'm booking for Labor Day weekend which is considered off-peak, so I'd prefer to use points, but Turquoise isn't an option, only a standard room (resort view) or standard suite (pyramid corner suite). We booked a standard room a year ago and got offered an upgrade for $100 a night upon check-in, but I'd prefer to know in advance.

I assume if you arrange an upgrade, that'll come with the airport transfer that's part of the Turquoise room rate also?
A few days before your stay, you'd get an email with upgrade offers, and if they're available, you'd see Turquoise Tower there. As far as I remember, Turquoise is never available through Hyatt reservations, only via Playa Resort's own website. In your case, it's best to contact the hotel beforehand and negotiate an upgrade.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 6:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by ezak View Post
A few days before your stay, you'd get an email with upgrade offers, and if they're available, you'd see Turquoise Tower there. As far as I remember, Turquoise is never available through Hyatt reservations, only via Playa Resort's own website. In your case, it's best to contact the hotel beforehand and negotiate an upgrade.
Thanks; I do recall an email like that last time. (I replied to it to book an airport transfer but didn't upgrade.) I did see Turquoise Tower bookable through Hyatt, but only for cash, not points.
Old Mar 2, 22, 1:24 am

We are planning for a trip to Hyatt Ziva Cancun Mid May and hoping to get some information from the forum members who had been there.

1) Club Ocean Master Suite or Club Ocean Front Corner Suite
- We are traveling with two kids and wanting to get a bigger spot for them to run around.
- We are leaning towards the Master Suite. For those who had been here, is this the right choice ?

2) Beaches around Hyatt Ziva
- Looking at the beaches around cancun, it seems that the east side has rougher seas and seaweed going on.
- How about the beach on the north side ? It looks like they are cleaner and calmer.
a) Is this true ? and is the beach kid friendly ?
b) Is it possible to snorkel and are there sea life ?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by m3seeto; Mar 2, 22 at 1:41 am
Old Mar 2, 22, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by m3seeto View Post
We are planning for a trip to Hyatt Ziva Cancun Mid May and hoping to get some information from the forum members who had been there.

1) Club Ocean Master Suite or Club Ocean Front Corner Suite
- We are traveling with two kids and wanting to get a bigger spot for them to run around.
- We are leaning towards the Master Suite. For those who had been here, is this the right choice ?

2) Beaches around Hyatt Ziva
- Looking at the beaches around cancun, it seems that the east side has rougher seas and seaweed going on.
- How about the beach on the north side ? It looks like they are cleaner and calmer.
a) Is this true ? and is the beach kid friendly ?
b) Is it possible to snorkel and are there sea life ?

Thanks for the help.
We have gone several times with 2 young kids - for sleeping arrangements the Master suite is nicer, but honestly, the corner suite was enough space to sorta spread out for down time and even evening (we had both kids in the room with us sleeping cot/share bed), so we had the living room at night... most of your time should be out of the room and the Master Suite just adds a bigger bedroom and I believe a side window/balcony
m3seeto likes this.
Old Mar 2, 22, 1:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a stay here last week. Overall, a fantastic property, and improved a lot since my last stay 5 years ago. As a Globalist, received an upgrade to a Dolphin View (no suites available, sadly). Was able to get 4 PM late check out as well. Dined at all of the restaurants- loved the French restaurant as well as the buffet. Didn't have a bad bite the entire time on property. No seaweed during our week on either beach. Did a full tour of the property and detailed some of our experiences below!

levilevi likes this.
Old Mar 3, 22, 12:45 pm

Thanks TheTravelPlaybook and LeviLevi for the inputs. The review was awesome and provided a great overview of the resort.

Have any of you travelled around May and Is there any downside ?
Old Mar 3, 22, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I've traveled in May last year- seaweed was an issue in Cancun, up and down the coast. May be different this year, there's not a ton of predictability to it. I stayed at the Royalton on past trip in Feb 2022 in Puerto Morelos, for example, and there was seaweed there. Also, hotter than winter months. I love the area so I don't mind!
Old Mar 3, 22, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I don't get the attraction to this resort. I stayed there in November on points as my flight had been cancelled and I found it pretty horrendous.
The rooms are dark, dated and tacky. The jacuzzi takes up half of the room.
The lobby is super loud with tacky tourists, blaring music at the pool, drunk people at the pool... hardly any place to sit near the pool. The place has zero appeal in my book.
The only redeeming qualities were the Mexican restaurant and the restaurant close to the elevators in the lobby serving lunch. The Asian one was terrible.
Service? What service. Constant wait to talk to anyone at the front desk.
The place has zero class.
I guess there is a market for everything but this place is a dump in my book. Like a spring break hotel for older Americans who lack taste.
Old Mar 4, 22, 7:57 pm

Gonna be making our first trip here with 2 young kids in mid-March. The place looks expansive, so definitely bringing the stroller for the youngest.

Watching some of the Youtube reviews, there just seems like a whole lotta walking and so many choices, so I was trying to game plan something so that we don't exhaust ourselves just wandering around... and worse, missing out on some of the Must Do's.

Here's what I'm thinking, as we're only there for 3 nights:

Must Do's:
-the private beach where the water is much calmer / cabana time (are these free?)
-Kid's club for the 6 year old
-Dolphin show
-Evening Disney show
-El Mercado buffet
-Hibachi at Moongate (via reservation?)
-Sweet shop for desserts!
-Churros and fish taco carts?
-Free mini bar in room!

Are there any 'easy' excursions possible with 2 young kids? Hoping to show the 6 year old at least some 'culture' haha.

Will be flying in via AC from YYZ and to and fro hotel via Canada Transfers.

Bring on those expert tips!
Old Mar 24, 22, 10:08 am

We will be a couple on a points stay and will be accompagned by our 3 year old daughter.

Given that there's a fee of $110 per night for extra staying kids aged 3 to 12, do you it would be possible to have that fee reduced because the minimum age for kids to be dropped off at the kids club is 4 years old ?
Old Mar 29, 22, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
I don't get the attraction to this resort. I stayed there in November on points as my flight had been cancelled and I found it pretty horrendous.
The rooms are dark, dated and tacky. The jacuzzi takes up half of the room.
The lobby is super loud with tacky tourists, blaring music at the pool, drunk people at the pool... hardly any place to sit near the pool. The place has zero appeal in my book.
The only redeeming qualities were the Mexican restaurant and the restaurant close to the elevators in the lobby serving lunch. The Asian one was terrible.
Service? What service. Constant wait to talk to anyone at the front desk.
The place has zero class.
I guess there is a market for everything but this place is a dump in my book. Like a spring break hotel for older Americans who lack taste.
This is not place for solo travellers who hate people.

Here's an explanation since you don't get it: It's geared mainly towards parents who want a break from family chores such as cooking and cleaning with enough activities to entertain the kids so that they give the parents a break, at a nice and warm location

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 29, 22 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 1, 22, 10:58 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by hoipolloi View Post
This is not place for solo travellers who hate people.

Here's an explanation since you don't get it: It's geared mainly towards parents who want a break from family chores such as cooking and cleaning with enough activities to entertain the kids so that they give the parents a break, at a nice and warm location
No I don't hate people. What I hate is a chaotic hotel that has bad service, decor and food quality. If it's your idea of a nice vacation, go for it by all means!
There are plenty of places to stay in Cancun with families where you can get all of what you mention without the tackiness.

Search this Thread