Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 24, 21, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
Yes, I would like to know this as well.

I booked the Zilara 2 weeks ago for July as I want an adult-only vacation. I thought I had a very good deal. Then I found out that the Ziva had the better beach, lol. I went to see about rebooking for the Ziva and prices have jumped. I would want to do the TT, but that is about $250 more a night vs what I'm paying for the Zilara. I want to do the Ziva TT for the better beach and adult only, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for an extra $250 a night. TT just gives you an adult-only pool and some adult restaurants, however, there isn't even an adult-only section on the beach. I know the Ziva is a bit more upscale than the Zilara, but it's hard for me to justify the switch with the cost. Yes, I can do the base room at the Ziva, but again I want a kid-free experience I was planning on doing 7 nights at the Zilara and then switching to 3-4 nights at the GH PDC or Secrets Maroma Beach.
Zilara is a wonderful property and if you really want an "all adult" vacation I'd stick with it. There are kids at Ziva and you can't avoid them, even if your staying in TT.

You have a few points completely wrong:
1. Ziva TT does NOT get you special access to the adults only restaurant (Bastille) - everyone has access. If you are at all concerned about COVID then it should be noted that Bastille is the most enclosed of any of the restaurants.
2. Ziva is absolutely NOT more "upscale" than Zilara. If anything, it's the opposite. The Zilara building is absolutely gorgeous.
3. Base rooms at Zilara are minisuites. All are ocean front. MUCH nicer than base rooms at Ziva.
4. There are no adults-only beaches in Cancun. Not at Ziva OR Zilara.
5. You MIGHT be able to get a Ziva day pass to go experience Ziva. Conflicting reports as to whether they still offer this.
Old Feb 24, 21, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
Zilara is a wonderful property and if you really want an "all adult" vacation I'd stick with it. There are kids at Ziva and you can't avoid them, even if your staying in TT.

You have a few points completely wrong:
1. Ziva TT does NOT get you special access to the adults only restaurant (Bastille) - everyone has access. If you are at all concerned about COVID then it should be noted that Bastille is the most enclosed of any of the restaurants.
2. Ziva is absolutely NOT more "upscale" than Zilara. If anything, it's the opposite. The Zilara building is absolutely gorgeous.
3. Base rooms at Zilara are minisuites. All are ocean front. MUCH nicer than base rooms at Ziva.
4. There are no adults-only beaches in Cancun. Not at Ziva OR Zilara.
5. You MIGHT be able to get a Ziva day pass to go experience Ziva. Conflicting reports as to whether they still offer this.
1. I've seen the Ziva and Zilara. I like the look of the Ziva more. I do think that the Ziva has a more upscale and modern look than the Zilara (and many former guests that I have spoken to directly agree). That's my personal taste/preference/opinion.

2. I'm not sure why you are talking about the look of the base rooms of the Zilara/Ziva. That's irrelevant to what I was referring to.

3. Ummm, I'm fully aware that there aren't adult-only beaches in Cancun as it will be my 10th time there. My point is that if I was at the Zilara, obviously that would be a kid-free experience on the Zilara beach. If I'm staying at the Ziva, there would be kids at the resort beach.

Yes, you love the Zilara Cancun - However, people are free to have their own opinions and thoughts
coleslaw likes this.
Old Feb 24, 21, 1:37 pm

1. I've seen the Ziva and Zilara. I like the look of the Ziva more. I do think that the Ziva has a more upscale and modern look than the Zilara (and many former guests that I have spoken to directly agree). That's my personal taste/preference/opinion.

2. I'm not sure why you are talking about the look of the base rooms of the Zilara/Ziva. That's irrelevant to what I was referring to.

3. Ummm, I'm fully aware that there aren't adult-only beaches in Cancun as it will be my 10th time there. My point is that if I was at the Zilara, obviously that would be a kid-free experience on the Zilara beach. If I'm staying at the Ziva, there would be kids at the resort beach.

Yes, you love the Zilara Cancun - However, people are free to have their own opinions and thoughts
Of course your free to have your opinion, but you stated things that are factually inaccurate/misleading and I'm just trying to correct this for others seeking information. Most specifically: Ziva is NOT more "upscale" than Zilara. Upscale implies higher level of service, better quality food, nicer in room amenities, higher end liquor, higher end base rooms (everyone has suites), etc. Ziva is not better than Zilara in any of these areas. That's just a fact. Playa Resorts (the owner operator of these hotels) operates various levels of all-inclusive, and this includes lower-scale (cheaper) properties including Panama Jack's and Hilton in Playa. In fact, Playa actually intends for the Zilara to be slightly higher end than Ziva! If you look at pricing for base rooms, Zilara properties typically priced higher than Ziva properties. Also, the notion that the beach in front of Zilara would be "kid free" because it's an adults only property is also completely inaccurate. Zilara is sandwiched in between family friendly hotels and the swimming areas in this part of Cancun (due to high surf) are often very limited to small stretches - this means everyone congregates in the same area.
Old Feb 25, 21, 2:19 am

I look forward to staying at the Hyatt Hatfield or perhaps the Hyatt McCoy in Cancun at some point in the future.
meducate and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Feb 25, 21, 8:58 am

Does anyone know if they've reinstalled the hammocks that were in the ocean?
Old Feb 25, 21, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
I just got back from Hyatt Ziva Cancun Turquoize on Sun, staying 8 nights.

The hammocks were not reinstalled outside Habaneros.
They were not offering day passes to Zilara nor vice versa to Ziva due to COVID (which makes no sense).
There is no adult-only restaurant.

The great thing is that the kids stayed on the private beach side (north side), pools and beach. We had a ball on the south side with no kids present. The kids liked to be underneath that pool with the overhang mostly.

One suggestion would be for Playa to add a Dips N' Sips to the south pool.

Folks that switched from Zilara to Ziva didn't like the food there and said the service was lacking. I'd never been to Zilara but the rooms are exactly like Hilton PDC, from what I see when I stayed at Hilton PDC in 2019. Those rooms at Zilara ARE better than Ziva and face the ocean.
Hilton PDC is ultra similar to Hyatt Zilara Cancun. They both have almost the exact same dining options, Pelicanos, Marie Marie, Chef's Plate, Asiana, Spice, and Tequilera Bar. They even have the same covered octagon off the lobby for entertainment. I think Zilara Rose Hall has the same octagon as well.

Ziva's property absolutely destroys Zilara, imo, and yes I'm saying that without having been to Zilara. Ziva has way more pool options by far and has 2 beaches to choose from.
There are also far more room types to choose from at Ziva.

I found that many were using water that seeped through the square levee blocks as a shallow beach area at Ziva.

I have noticed that some folks like defend something really hard because they like what another might dislike. Please, just get over it. Opinions are going to differ.
We all just want a good time and bang for the buck.

I personally have no interest in staying at Zilara but would love to visit while staying at Turquoize. I was set to do just that in May 2020 but that rez was cancelled due to a temp COVID shutdown and now they don't allow TT guests over there. Zilara is simply too small, has fewer options, and the cost difference isn't large enough.

I plan on going back to Hilton PDC in May. Hopefully they allow visits to Panama Jack by then. I like that Jack's Shack circular bar across the "moat".
We'll be coming back to Hyatt Ziva Cancun TT with about 6 more couples this year as well. Folks are waiting on getting their 1st and 2nd shots (got my 2nd yesterday).
Old Feb 27, 21, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
I just got back from Hyatt Ziva Cancun Turquoize on Sun, staying 8 nights

The great thing is that the kids stayed on the private beach side (north side), pools and beach. We had a ball on the south side with no kids present.

Hilton PDC is ultra similar to Hyatt Zilara Cancun. They both have almost the exact same dining options, Pelicanos, Marie Marie, Chef's Plate, Asiana, Spice, and Tequilera Bar. They even have the same covered octagon off the lobby for entertainment. I think Zilara Rose Hall has the same octagon as well.

I personally have no interest in staying at Zilara but would love to visit while staying at Turquoize. I was set to do just that in May 2020 but that rez was cancelled due to a temp COVID shutdown and now they don't allow TT guests over there. Zilara is simply too small, has fewer options, and the cost difference isn't large enough.

I plan on going back to Hilton PDC in May. Hopefully they allow visits to Panama Jack by then. I like that Jack's Shack circular bar across the "moat".
Thanks for your feedback, Busymann. I find it interesting that you aren't a fan of the Zilara Cancun , but you are returning to the the Hilton PDC soon.

The Hilton PDC and Zilara Cancun seem very similar to me. I'm not much a fan of the styling of the rooms, pooI, etc. I personally have no interest in returning to the Hilton PDC (I was there when it was the Royal PDC). I felt underwhelmed, but I'm willing to give the Zilara Cancun a shot.

I just want to know your thoughts about why you enjoy the Hilton PDC. Also is the south side beach of the Ziva Cancun the smaller or larger beach?
Old Feb 27, 21, 6:56 am

I see my previous comment replying to HyattTXlover was removed. But I absolutely agree with Busymann. This a forum where different opinions, viewpoints and thoughts are welcomed. No one should be chastised because they might not like a hotel/resort or don't like certain aspects of it. It's not that deep.
Old Feb 27, 21, 8:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for your feedback, Busymann. I find it interesting that you aren't a fan of the Zilara Cancun , but you are returning to the the Hilton PDC soon.

The Hilton PDC and Zilara Cancun seem very similar to me. I'm not much a fan of the styling of the rooms, pooI, etc. I personally have no interest in returning to the Hilton PDC (I was there when it was the Royal PDC). I felt underwhelmed, but I'm willing to give the Zilara Cancun a shot.

I just want to know your thoughts about why you enjoy the Hilton PDC. Also is the south side beach of the Ziva Cancun the smaller or larger beach?
I can use my Hilton free night there. Me and my wife have free nights. I also like the proximity to 5th Ave and the ferry to Coz.

When I travel, I don't like turning right back around so I stay 8 nights or more. Those 3-5 day trips are a no-no.

Zilara offers me nothing that I wouldn't rather have at Ziva Turquoize. In the future, I'll be able to visit Zilara anyway via a pass. We had planned on doing so in May 2020 and line up a visit when there was a foam party. The property offers nothing that I'd rather have on daily basis. It doesn't look great to walk around like Ziva. Ziva even offers more dining choices.

Basically, Hilton PDC offers something different. The beach is definitely not better. I really noticed the erosion from my time there compared to Youtube videos prior, especially next door at the Grand Hyatt. We had fun there, however, and it doesn't cost as much. Zilara isn't priced competitively, imo.
Old Feb 27, 21, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
I can use my Hilton free night there. Me and my wife have free nights. I also like the proximity to 5th Ave and the ferry to Coz.

When I travel, I don't like turning right back around so I stay 8 nights or more. Those 3-5 day trips are a no-no.

Zilara offers me nothing that I wouldn't rather have at Ziva Turquoize. In the future, I'll be able to visit Zilara anyway via a pass. We had planned on doing so in May 2020 and line up a visit when there was a foam party. The property offers nothing that I'd rather have on daily basis. It doesn't look great to walk around like Ziva. Ziva even offers more dining choices.

Basically, Hilton PDC offers something different. The beach is definitely not better. I really noticed the erosion from my time there compared to Youtube videos prior, especially next door at the Grand Hyatt. We had fun there, however, and it doesn't cost as much. Zilara isn't priced competitively, imo.
Gotcha! Thank your for your detailed response. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the beach in PDC. I used to regularly go there. Almost every year. The ever-progressing beach erosion makes me so sad that coupled with the packed beach. I haven't been to PDC since 2018. Since being a Globalist though, I was thinking about a possible stay at the GH PDC. I like the beach club there, lol
Busymann likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 10:38 am

My wife is a globalist and we are considering booking our first Ziva stay on points with our 14 year-old son. I'm confused by the way it's pricing out. When I search for two adults, I see plenty of dates with both standard rooms for 25K points, and pyramid suites available (we'd use a TSU for this stay). When I add the third guest (age 14), the points rate for a standard room jumps to 50K, and it says that rate is for two additional guests. I was expecting the rate for three guests to be 37.5K points per night. Out of curiosity, I lowered the age on the third guest to something under 13, and it shows the 37.5K rate for three guests. I understand 13 and up is considered an adult, but even the standard rooms list a max capacity of up to four adults. What am I missing here? Obviously we could ask our concierge to do the booking and upgrade, but want to make sure I understand the occupancy rules/third guest pricing first.
Old Apr 21, 21, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by brothersbr View Post
My wife is a globalist and we are considering booking our first Ziva stay on points with our 14 year-old son. I'm confused by the way it's pricing out. When I search for two adults, I see plenty of dates with both standard rooms for 25K points, and pyramid suites available (we'd use a TSU for this stay). When I add the third guest (age 14), the points rate for a standard room jumps to 50K, and it says that rate is for two additional guests. I was expecting the rate for three guests to be 37.5K points per night. Out of curiosity, I lowered the age on the third guest to something under 13, and it shows the 37.5K rate for three guests. I understand 13 and up is considered an adult, but even the standard rooms list a max capacity of up to four adults. What am I missing here? Obviously we could ask our concierge to do the booking and upgrade, but want to make sure I understand the occupancy rules/third guest pricing first.
Just Book online the room for 2 adults and have the concierge fix it, you are correct about the pricing
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:29 pm

Any thoughts on Ziva Turquoize vs. LeBlanc? Cost is fairly comparable during the dates I'm considering.
Old Apr 24, 21, 7:43 pm

I've actively searched for comparisons between Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara Cancun and 90% of the commenters I've seen seem to greatly prefer Ziva over Zilara. Ultimately the food is going to be mediocre to average at both resorts, but the facilities and location at Hyatt Ziva are much better than they are at Hyatt Zilara is what I've gathered from most of the comments. The presence of children doesn't seem to be much of a drawback.

I've only stayed at Hyatt Zilara so far and while it wasn't perfect, it was definitely well worth the Hyatt points I spent. I can't wait to try Hyatt Ziva some day.
Old Apr 24, 21, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Morpheus4356 View Post
I've actively searched for comparisons between Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara Cancun and 90% of the commenters I've seen seem to greatly prefer Ziva over Zilara. Ultimately the food is going to be mediocre to average at both resorts, but the facilities and location at Hyatt Ziva are much better than they are at Hyatt Zilara is what I've gathered from most of the comments. The presence of children doesn't seem to be much of a drawback.

I've only stayed at Hyatt Zilara so far and while it wasn't perfect, it was definitely well worth the Hyatt points I spent. I can't wait to try Hyatt Ziva some day.
I think there are adult only places in Ziva too. So I do not think there is much difference.

The food quality at Ziva is so-so. We do not plan on going back to either place. After trying once, we do not like the all inclusive model, at least not at Hyatt Cancun. The Grand Club at Baha Mar is much more enjoyable.

Search this Thread