Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 9, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, UA Premier Silver, Southwest A List,Spirit Lover
Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
I'm headed to the resort later this week and was reviewing the dining options and their dress codes. It seems like most of the restaurants require dress shorts and dress sandals for men. I presume a pair of khaki shorts qualifies as dress shorts, but what exactly are dress sandals. Would a pair of nice leather flip flops qualify? What would you recommend for wearing to Lorenzo's, Tradewinds, or Habanero's for dinner?
Wore a t-shirt and flip flops to Habaneros for dinner. No problems. Some tables are literally on the beach. I really think you can get away with anything except swim wear, tank tops, etc., at all the restaurants EXCEPT Bastille.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plt / LTG, Amtrak Select+
Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
I'm headed to the resort later this week and was reviewing the dining options and their dress codes. It seems like most of the restaurants require dress shorts and dress sandals for men. I presume a pair of khaki shorts qualifies as dress shorts, but what exactly are dress sandals. Would a pair of nice leather flip flops qualify? What would you recommend for wearing to Lorenzo's, Tradewinds, or Habanero's for dinner?
I have worn athletic shorts and flip flops to each of those restaurants and never had an issue
Old Feb 23, 20, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
The Hyatt Ziva resort in Cancun occupies a unique position in Cancun geography. Surrounded by the ocean on three sides with both a private and public beach, and set among several pools, there really is something for everyone here.

Families seem to agree.

On the week we visited during Christmas and the New Year the place was absolutely packed with Europeans, Americans and even Mexicans taking a break and enjoying the warm winter sunshine.

The resort is set around several swimming pools which ensures that even when the place is completely booked it never feels particularly crowded.

In fact over the 10 days we were there only on Christmas Eve when a huge buffet dinner was laid on for all the guests, did it really feel as though the place was bursting at the seams.

We were Explorist level with Hyatt but that didn’t seem to make any difference to our room.

Everybody got what they paid for. One member of our party enjoyed a Dolphin view room while three of us enjoyed ocean view rooms.

One of the rooms was at the end of the corridor offering a far bigger layout than the others... Although apparently they are of the exact same room type and category.

There is plenty to do here along with watersports, swimming, and of course paddling on the shore of the nearby beaches which are beautiful together with the soft talcum powder like sand practically dissolving into the fairly warm (but crystal clear) waters of the Caribbean.
When it comes to food, there is an unlimited supply. There a 24-hour buffet of limited range that supplies non-stop fruit, vegetables and also soup no matter the time of day. The main buffet, Mercado, is great for all meals both breakfast lunch and dinner. At dinner times there is often a themed of cuisine.

We enjoyed a spectacular Mexican themed dinner, and every lunchtime there is also variety of different cuisines including Indian made by a chef who moved to Mexico from India more than 20 years ago. Just that section alone makes lunch worth having.

There is also a huge amount of attention to detail paid at the main Mercado restaurant and the various theme nights that are held there. Some nights you will find extravagant displays of flowers making up buildings or toys... anything to make the theme more authentic is done. The entire kitchen area is full of props that help to accentuate the various themes. They certainly don’t do things by halves and the organisation is phenomenal to watch.

There truly is something for everyone with everything from salads, soups, fresh fish, chicken and meat dishes and of course a multitude of deserts to choose from. If you’re not dining at the buffet there are a several other restaurants including Chevys which is a diner and Lorenzo’s which is an Italian restaurant. The food at Chevys is American in style and of a decent quality. Lorenzo’s offers tasty pizzas throughout the day as well as pasta dishes. Where the food is not particularly good is at the brewhouse pub Tres Cervices. We ordered a plate of nachos and it came swimming in plastic melted cheese which was thoroughly disgusting. It doesn’t really offer anything suitable in terms of food and members of our party said the home-made beer was simply dreadful.

Elsewhere Bastille as a French restaurant is also to be recommended with a more refined atmosphere than the other restaurants including Mercado, which of course is the buffet. Bastille offers its own take on traditional French dishes including onion soup with a wafer thin cheese crust.

Tradewinds is a steakhouse and like Bastille offers a more formal dining option while on the resort. There’s also an antipasti buffet to get things going.

For both Bastille and Trade Winds one needs to wear long trousers and also a shirt for gentlemen, (basically not beachwear)!

I found the Moongate Asian restaurant to be one of the best on the property. There are a number of the hibachi grill stations which makes for a spectacular sight when all the chefs are working in tandem. You don’t have to have an appetite to enjoy watching the food being made. If you don't want hibachi then an ŗ la cart menu is also available producing high-quality Asian dishes. I did find the beef and chicken to be a little tough on occasion.

Outside of the Moongate is a tequila bar from which people can choose from dozens of different brands in the country’s favourite tipple.

The most disappointing restaurants on site was at Habanero’s beachside restaurant. This is predominantly Mexican food, but the service was slow and the food was distinctly average.Around the pool there is also good service provided by the staff and there is even a hotdog truck at one of the pools offering chicken wings and hotdogs which make for a novelty every so often.

A coffee shop on the second floor is the resorts answer to Starbucks and offers a wide range of coffee, teas and ice teas. There was always a long line so for those caffeine addicted guests, this was the solution. Bizarrely there are no straws of any kind allowed on the resort. (We had to buy our own!)

Next door is the seemingly addictive desert cafť. This offers beautifully decorated cakes, macaroons, ice cream, chocolate‘s, candy floss, and like a “kid in a candy shop” it is easy to go completely crazy.

Luckily just across the landing is the gym which I’ve been told is very well appointed.

Instead of gym tanning and laundry while here you really just need to gym, tan, eat and sleep!

The kids club also on site provides hours and hours of entertainment for the resorts younger guests many of whom return there day after day after making new friends.

For those young at heart dolphins provides a once-in-a-lifetime experience where guests can actually swim alongside these incredible mammals. Six male dolphins can be seen swimming up-and-down there own private lagoon occasionally interrupted by people who have paid several hundred dollars to join them in their activities. Although this is operated by an outside company, they do not hold back when it comes to the pricing and if you want to get professionally shot video and photos of your experience be prepared to fork out the cash.

Each night on the property there is a variety of shows, ranging from traditional Mexican performers to circus acrobats to even a Michael Jackson impersonator. Jackson’s music still appears to command an audience despite recent allegations.

The shows last anywhere from half an hour or longer and all seemed good natured in their spirit and meaning and certainly seem to be well attended by the guests in between their meals!

Overall there is a very relaxed feel about the hotel and resort. Nobody has to wear wristbands to prove that they are staying here, and even walking to and from the beach which is easily accessible by members of the public, you are very discreetly asked by staff members for your room number and last name; it is all done in an extremely considerate way.

One thing to remember about an all inclusive resort such as this is that one never really needs to leave the place.

Rightly or wrongly, whether you venture outside of the hotel really depends on your personal taste.

In Cancun’s hotel zone where the Ziva is located just a short walk down the street and you reach tacky bars and obnoxiously loud, booming clubs! Further down the hotel zone road are a couple of shopping malls which you could visit for a change of scenery but honestly, if you’ve already paid for a full week of food and fun, that is very little reason to leave!

One slight irritation is the race to reserve some beds each day. This is a problem in a lot of hotels around the world, and the Hyatt is no exception. People get up ridiculously early, sometimes as early as 5 or 6 am and try and reserve the beds using the towels. However some beds remain unoccupied six hours later are stripped of their belongings and bath towels, leaving the early risers nowhere to sit. It’s very frustrating considering how much one pays on a daily rate to stay here. Is there no hotel in the world that has come up with a solution to this?

Overall I can’t say whether or not the place is good value or not. It really depends on when you come. During the holiday period prices are more than doubled however if you come during the off-season then you’re sure to find better value for money. That being said, you could easily spend your entire holiday blind drunk, and eating at the high end restaurants and somehow squeeze out more bang for your buck out of the entire experience.
levilevi, cuthroat and madcard like this.
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:35 am

Has anyone taken UBER from the hotel to the airport lately? I know they CAN"T pick you up from the airport but I've read that they can drive you to the airport.
Old Feb 26, 20, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Pointsloop View Post
Has anyone taken UBER from the hotel to the airport lately? I know they CAN"T pick you up from the airport but I've read that they can drive you to the airport.
as of now uber is banned in cancun.
Old Feb 26, 20, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser View Post
as of now uber is banned in cancun.
it started back up end of 2019. Did it end again?
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:12 pm

it started back up end of 2019. Did it end again?
Just use the official taxis with clearly marked cars and uniformed drivers. They are fine and not very expensive. Done.
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:26 pm

You can book a private transfer with USA Transfers or Canada Transfers. Both reliable and affordable. $30-ish one way. Little cheaper if you book roundtrip.
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
You can book a private transfer with USA Transfers or Canada Transfers. Both reliable and affordable. $30-ish one way. Little cheaper if you book roundtrip.
I'm still curious about what the ride share situation is in Hotel Zone in Cancun. Taxis are rip off in Hotel Zone. I've been hearing conflicting info on if Uber or Cabify work in Cancun but not in Hotel Zone.
Old Feb 26, 20, 5:22 pm

I'm still curious about what the ride share situation is in Hotel Zone in Cancun. Taxis are rip off in Hotel Zone. I've been hearing conflicting info on if Uber or Cabify work in Cancun but not in Hotel Zone.
The taxis arenít that expensive. Youíll pay Ziva prices but moan about a $10 cab fare? People amaze me. The cab drivers have families to support too, you know?

As for the backstory... google it. The cab drivers hate Uber and are known to run them off the road. Etc.
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
The taxis arenít that expensive. Youíll pay Ziva prices but moan about a $10 cab fare? People amaze me. The cab drivers have families to support too, you know?

As for the backstory... google it. The cab drivers hate Uber and are known to run them off the road. Etc.
itís not about a few dollars.

Itís about safety

i have googled and researched and i actually may have info that others might find useful besides just the dollars and cents.

From my research, thereís a lot less background checks on taxi drivers than drivers on Cabify App. A lot of taxi drivers have had no background checks or insurance.

also Cabify app has safety features like panic buttons and location sharing.

i do not know what background checks UBER does in Cancun but Cabify seems like the safest option, if available.

So if anyone has any personal experience on if ride share is available in the Hotel Zone, that would be greatly helpful.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:31 pm

The cab drivers hate Uber and are known to run them off the road. Etc.
And thatís good reason why I personally wouldnít want give my money to any organizations that would do that.
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:25 pm

And thatís good reason why I personally wouldnít want give my money to any organizations that would do that.
Yeah right. First it was cost and now itís safety? I call BS. Your either trying to save a buck, or worse, promote an app. The taxis in Cancun are as safe as an any other major urban area... and yes Iím there every few months.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Feb 26, 20 at 9:35 pm
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:39 pm

Yeah right. First it was cost and now itís safety? I call BS. Your either trying to save a buck, or worse, promote an app. The taxis in Cancun are as safe as an any other major urban area...
wow, that would be as silly as accusing you of working for the Cancun taxi mafia that push Uber drivers off the road that you are so insistent on we all do business with.

again, my original question was if anyone has recent personal experience with ride share apps in Cancun because the situation down there changes so often.

I donít even know if any of the apps work in Cancun.

Ive done exactly what you suggested before. Iíve googled and researched about it and am only trying to share the info and get more info.

If you donít want the info or donít have anything to add to my question, then just move along.
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:46 pm

wow, that would be as silly as accusing you of working for the Cancun taxi mafia that push Uber drivers off the road that you are so insistent on we all do business with.

again, my original question was if anyone has recent personal experience with ride share apps in Cancun because the situation down there changes so often.

I donít even know if any of the apps work in Cancun.

Ive done exactly what you suggested before. Iíve googled and researched about it and am only trying to share the info and get more info.

If you donít want the info or donít have anything to add to my question, then just move along.
Apps are not advised in Cancun for lots of reasons.

Some shuttle services are excellent such as USA Transfers.

Taxis are plentiful, safe, and inexpensive by international standards.

Nothing more to say.

I find the frequent misinformation about Mexico (i.e insinuations about lack of safety in tourist areas) to be annoying.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: