Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Upgrading third-party booking with Hyatt Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi All-

I'm about to pull the trigger on booking the Park Hyatt Beijing using the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program (which is the same rate as the hyatt daily rate but includes a few extras).

Any chance I could use 6,000 points to upgrade this booking into a Park Suite, even though it's booked via a third party?

Best,

Gabrca
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Hi All-

I'm about to pull the trigger on booking the Park Hyatt Beijing using the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program (which is the same rate as the hyatt daily rate but includes a few extras).

Any chance I could use 6,000 points to upgrade this booking into a Park Suite, even though it's booked via a third party?

Best,

Gabrca
I've asked this questions a couple of times in regards to Virtuoso and FHR bookings. Unfortunately it seems that using the points upgrades is restricted to booking the actual Hyatt Daily Rate; so even though the rate is the same those programs aren't eligible. If however, you have a DSU then yes you can upgrade those rates....

If perhaps Hyatt had an in house affinity program on the Horizon, then maybe those rates would be eligible for upgrade using points.....

FDW
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Hi All-

Best,

Gabrca
You might be able to pay for it on the spot but won't be able to use points though.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:41 am

It is theoretically possible that a good Virtuoso agent could pull this off by negotiating directly with the property, but strictly speaking it has to be the daily rate booked directly with Hyatt.

I suspect a TA would have to book the daily rate, and then negotiate for the Virtuoso amenities to be applied.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Yes.
Seems like this is conflicting info with this other thread on using DSU and FHR. Has anyone had a success upgrading FHR with points? Or are DSU's a different game?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-amex-fhr.html
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:44 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by econjon
Seems like this is conflicting info with this other thread on using DSU and FHR. Has anyone had a success upgrading FHR with points? Or are DSU's a different game?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-amex-fhr.html
DSUs are a completely different game. They only require that one book an eligible rate (even points and cash are eligible).... Using points requires booking I think the HDR at minimum (or is it now the standard rate...?)

FDW
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Yes.
Oh that makes sense. Thanks. Luckily, we got upgraded to RC access anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FHR benefits include room upgrades, so I don't see any advantage to trying to pay with points or cash to upgrade at check in unless they're willing to offer a room category beyond the FHR upgrade. OTOH, you can book various room categories under the FHR program, typically everything from a deluxe room up.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:01 am

As a general note I've successfully used points to upgrade a third party booking (at a discount rate), by contacting the hotel directly. Obviously at the discretion of the hotel, but it can happen. They guarantee the suite and deduct the points at checkin.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:35 am

Another data point regarding not being able to upgrade Virtuoso (or Prive) stays with points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31174531-post1716.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.