Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Dreaded and Despised Resort Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dreaded and Despised Resort Fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj

This is absurd, and if I lived there, I’d rail against it. It’s basically saying the actual price is 6% higher than the menu says because we can. If it were about the cost of doing business, everyone would just raise their advertised prices and be done with it.
Rail against it? Don't go. Don't travel. Don't eat out. The solution is simple... IF others agree with you they'll do the same and the market will fix things.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:53 pm

Forgive me for not knowing the latest on this. Do Vegas MLife properties charge resort fees on point stays? These are not disclosed during the booking process as they are for points+cash and cash stays, which I understand are not waived for Globalists.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

This is absurd, and if I lived there, I’d rail against it. It’s basically saying the actual price is 6% higher than the menu says because we can. If it were about the cost of doing business, everyone would just raise their advertised prices and be done with it.
It's politics and rhetoric. They could easily just change the price of a $30 plate to $32 and accomplish the same thing. But then they wouldn't have their little hissy vent.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Rail against it? Don't go. Don't travel. Don't eat out. The solution is simple... IF others agree with you they'll do the same and the market will fix things.
Agreed. I am only one but I try to do my part by:
  1. Rarely visit Las Vegas anymore. Partly because I've aged out of the current target demographic, but more so due to high room prices (including resort fees), unfavorable rule changes (e.g. 6:5 blackjack, high table minimums for craps, etc.).
  2. Rarely dine in San Francisco anymore. We have plenty of good restaurants in the suburbs, so no need to waste time and extra $$ to dine in SF.
  3. Tip 20% at true full service restaurants, and 0% at fast food, coffee shops, etc. I do not feel sorry for most of these workers, they are making far more now (in real inflation-adjusted $$) than I did when I worked such jobs.
That being said, it is silly to tell people not to eat out, or to stay at hotels, etc. But we do have a choice of places to spend our $$.

Personally I think we will see resort fees go bye-bye as the legal fees begin to mount...
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
It's politics and rhetoric. They could easily just change the price of a $30 plate to $32 and accomplish the same thing. But then they wouldn't have their little hissy vent.

And despite the objections of some who don't see the difference between surcharges and resort fees it still comes down to the same thing in my perception deceptive pricing
Oh did you want a fork knife and a plate with your meal? There is a mandatory F&B privilege fee but it includes a complimentary napkin,salt & pepper
and unlimited condiments & free 800 calls during your meal
Where does it end?
steve64, SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
This is more or less what I meant, plus encouraging others to do the same. Depending on where in the area I lived, I might drive out of town if I wanted a nice dinner out. But since I don’t live there, I’ll vote with my wallet by not traveling there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Point well taken although Hyatt has made this right for their best customers
However I am finally losing interest in traveling as much as I use to do especially with Marriott.
One would think with the likes of AirBNB and others there wouldn't be any or few resort destination fees but instead we have resort fee creep
Found this post interesting from the Iconic outspoken in a good way blogger Gary Leff
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...e-camels-back/
The link doesn't work, so I'm hoping that it will when I quote it.
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

My question got lost in the shuffle here:

Do Vegas MLife properties charge resort fees on point stays? These are not disclosed during the booking process as they are for points+cash and cash stays, which I understand are not waived for Globalists.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
My question got lost in the shuffle here:

Do Vegas MLife properties charge resort fees on point stays? These are not disclosed during the booking process as they are for points+cash and cash stays, which I understand are not waived for Globalists.
1) Yes, they charge resort fees for everyone on every type of reservation for every Hyatt and MLife status. Not even their top tier gambling members (Noir) get resort fees waived. And that's because they've jacked up their resort fee so that their room rates look cheap. NYNY and Excalibur charges more for their resort fee than their room rate most days.

2) They *ARE* disclosed.
Looking at Bellagio: A daily resort fee of $44.22 plus applicable tax will be applied to all reservations ... <here's the list of useless stuff we throw in to pretend we can justify the cost>
steve64 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:52 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I’ve deleted a bunch of osts since they are off topic for the thread and simply bickering between members

peteropny - co-mod - hyatt
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The link doesn't work, so I'm hoping that it will when I quote it.
😱😀for some reason links aren’t working the way they did in the past when cutting and pasting
perhaps google the thread or go to view from a wing
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
The one area where I find resort fees completely indefensible is opaque hotel bookings (Hotwire, Priceline NYOP, etc.). Making a reservation, and then finding out at the very end of the process that the price you were quoted wasn't REALLY the price is annoying. Offering to pay $X for a hotel room, having that offer accepted, and then being told "oh, it's going to be $25/30/whatever more, plus you can't cancel" is just outrageous. Priceline and Hotwire should either incorporate the resort fee, or stop including hotels that charge one in their opaque portfolios.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jameswes
1) Yes, they charge resort fees for everyone on every type of reservation for every Hyatt and MLife status. Not even their top tier gambling members (Noir) get resort fees waived. And that's because they've jacked up their resort fee so that their room rates look cheap. NYNY and Excalibur charges more for their resort fee than their room rate most days.

2) They *ARE* disclosed.
Looking at Bellagio: A daily resort fee of $44.22 plus applicable tax will be applied to all reservations ... <here's the list of useless stuff we throw in to pretend we can justify the cost>
Yes, for Bellagio it is clearly disclosed for "all reservations." For Vdara, which is the one I was looking at, there is no disclosure at any point in the booking process.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Yes, for Bellagio it is clearly disclosed for "all reservations." For Vdara, which is the one I was looking at, there is no disclosure at any point in the booking process.
Good call. I just picked a couple MLife hotels and assumed they would work the same. Silly me!

On the very slightly positive side it is shown in the payment details which paying cash or C+P.
Total Per Room* $287.98 USD
Wed, Oct 16 $209.00 USD
Subtotal $209.00 USD
city hotel tax $27.96 USD
resort fees $51.02 USD
Taxes & Fees $78.98 USD

So it is there for cash bookings/C+P, but you are completely correct that they do not show the resort fee on points ONLY bookings.

I have a feeling that if you took screenshots and made a stink about it you could probably get a concierge to refund the fee in "good will courtesy" given that the booking doesn't mention it anywhere and it could be assumed that it would be waived for Globalist point bookings.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by jameswes

2) They *ARE* disclosed.
If you are a Noir and not getting the resort fee waived, you are dealing with the wrong person. I have never paid a resort fee as a Noir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.