Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Poll for Diamonds: Are you having second thoughts about requalifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Poll for Diamonds: Are you having second thoughts about requalifying?
Yes
22.86%
No
77.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Given the changes (both official and unofficial), do you have second thoughts about keeping Diamond with HGP? I am.. while I will continue to stay at Hyatts where convenient, it won't be the first choice for future trips. In fact, I've already moved the bulk of stays to Hilton, followed by Marriott. The points program is still valuable, relative to competitors, but the following issues are making me think twice before continuing to invest here.

1. Room category manipulation for award redemption: link

2. Sub-par website experience: anything beyond initial reservations require a phone call to Hyatt CS. Reservation with 2 names? Change an existing reservation? Book a Cash & Points award? Sometimes the website fails after midnight (Central time) - do they shut the server down to save money?

3. Refusal to expand geographic footprint: there are new hotels being opened but only in cities with existing Hyatt properties. I know I'm generalizing here but it's the impression I get.

On the other hand, Hyatt Customer service is consistently top notch. I can't recall the last time I had a bad phone rep and had to hand up / call again. Part of me thinks that CS *has* to be excellent because it's propping up some of the failures (see #1, #2).

Last but not least, if this merger is going to happen.. elites almost always lose out. It would help address #3 but what about the existing benefits? What reassurances is Hyatt providing their elites? Just from what I am seeing, there is an endless fountain of status matching and point promotions for corporate customers. Business travel is big and companies are competing for those dollars.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:10 am

The growing popularity of game-playing by individual Hyatts (and a particularly bad experience I had at the Andaz Maui) have taken me away from Hyatt and I won't re-qualify for Diamond for the first time in five years. I'm actually using American Express FHR booking benefits for many trips-much more so than I did in the past.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
No. I've got one more stay to requalify for Diamond and I've already booked it for Thanksgiving.

I've got a trip to YVR this weekend with my wife which will requalify me for SPG Plat.

No one knows how Hyatt/SPG merger talks will end so I'm not going to book away from either chain right now. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8efe11f37c.jpg

1. Since I barely meet annual qualifications, I only book points stays for family. I try to use P+C to burn my points - I'm usually able to, but some properties don't offer P+C. Any gaming here doesn't effect me much.

2. Always been that way. SPG's website's not much better. Marriott and Hilton are better but I prefer Hyatt and SPG elite benefits more at this point in my life. This isn't a reason for me to switch.

3. I've noticed new hotels opening in new destinations. But the existing footprint covers almost all of my needs. The last time we booked outside of Hyatt/SPG was a trip to Bryce Canyon, UT - I booked with HIX.

If these issues bother you enough, switch loyalty programs. No single hotel loyalty program is good fit for everyone because we all prioritize things differently.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The fact that the Andaz Maui is playing games with award availability doesn't make the whole programme junk. I've seen loads of Sheratons, Intercontinentals and Hiltons with zero entry level award space... Hyatt corporate actually gives the individual hotels a good kicking once they become aware of it.

Equally, most weekends I get error messages from HHonors because the website is being maintained.

I've also usually found Hyatt CS so pleasant and highly competent that I don't mind much at all getting on the phone. (reminds me I need to call them )

There is clearly no refusal on the part of Hyatt corporate to expand footprint. It is simply a slow process to get developers on board and build things, particularly when trying to maintain a high standard. There is no Hyatt version of "Doubletree" or "Tribute" where anything goes, as long as a cookie is handed out...

Anyhow, Hyatt Diamond is the only elite status that I make a conscious effort to ensure I requalify for. Treatment is too good, particularly outside the US. That may change post-merger but that's 2-3 years away at least.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:24 am

In answer to OP's question, I have already re-qualified, as I consider Hyatt's GP program to be top notch. (I also have LT Plat status with Marriott, and consider that to be a good program.)

Here is a case in point.

My wife and I spent the better part of two weeks in central Europe in mid-October, which included three nights at the GH in Berlin and three at the PH in Zurich, both on points.

While our stay in Berlin was a very good experience, Zurich proved to be exceptional, starting with an upgrade to a marvelous Park suite. Also, my wife celebrated a birthday while we were in ZRH, and the property recognized the occasion in several discreet ways.

In short, Hyatt has retained our loyalty for '16 and hopefully succeeding years.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Nope, I already re-qualified this year and plan to re-qualify again next year. I also made HH Diamond just to see if the grass were greener. It is not. I won't absent extraordinary circumstances re-qualify for HH Diamond next year. Till otherwise, make mine Hyatt.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Which program is better?

Hyatt Diamond is still well worth achieving.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The fact that the Andaz Maui is playing games with award availability doesn't make the whole programme junk. I've seen loads of Sheratons, Intercontinentals and Hiltons with zero entry level award space... Hyatt corporate actually gives the individual hotels a good kicking once they become aware of it.
To be fair to OP, it's a whole lot more than just one property. The award availability games are being played at an increasing number of properties across the country. Just caught GH San Francisco playing the "package only" game yesterday. And GP is not doing anything to stop this.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
shouldnt there actually be a "poll" on this thread if were asking for a poll?

Anyhow: no.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Re-qualified long ago but still putting faith in Hyatt for next Diamond renewal.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
If these issues bother you enough, switch loyalty programs. No single hotel loyalty program is good fit for everyone because we all prioritize things differently.
I absolutely agree with you - no single hotel program fits the bill.. esp for my travels. That's why I diversify and hold status with more than just Hyatt.. but it's not all top tier across the 3 programs. It usually averages out to 1 top tier and 2 mid tier statuses. As to which program will get the top tier -- that's what may change for me. I would love to hear why people are deciding to stay; I already have enough reasons to "demote" Hyatt to one of my 2 mid-tiers.

It's easy to come up with all the negatives.. sometimes it's nice to be reminded of the positives.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
I will re-qualify and still consider HGP to be one of the best program out there. It might give me a bit more choice going forward if Hyatt merges/acquires SPG as I am lifetime platinum there too.

Eagerly awaiting the announcements on this front but doing a hundred night on a combine Hyatt-SPG would be a lot easier than the 150 nights I have done currently.

I love the DSU and the redemption to some outstanding properties such as PH Maldives.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I am three stays away from keeping Hyatt diamond for next year. Requalifying is a no brainer for me. I already got Hilton diamond this year with the double stay credit promo earlier in the year. Hyatt currently has the best treatment of elite guests.

I have used Hilton more than Marriott this year due to the greater price difference in properties and the need for stays at HGI. The main edge both of these chains has over Hyatt is number of properties.
I consider elite status more valuable with these two than with Priority Club. Personally, I do not like SPG. I consider their regular Sheratons to be poor quality.

Everyone has different needs and desires when it comes to travel. I find Marriott and Hyatt provide better customer service, and the upcoming points and cash awards from Marriott have a sweet spot in the middle category properties. I do not stay at aspirational properties like some of you. Most of my leisure stays are in the USA with some occasional trips overseas. I am not a beach or resort person so I do not gravitate towards certain brands. For me at least, I will stay at Hilton properties if the price is right, and it is not a bad property.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I'm only 4 nights away from re-qualifying, 80% of my stays have been at one hotel, The Hyatt Union Square - NYC, I love the location, staff is wonderful, even tho they screw up now and then. If it were not for that property I would have given up on Hyatt 2 years ago.

I've have moved the majority of my official business to Marriott, hands down they offer a meeting planner far superior service and product, outstanding upgrades as well. Also the hyatt foot print does suck. Planned a tour of Scandinavia, not one Hyatt.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I requalified for SPG Plat50 about a week or two ago and for Hyatt Diamond a little bit earlier.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
No cigar for me

This year, I will sleep more than 80 nights at hotels but unfortunately am giving up on the Hyatt Program. I used to be Diamond but 'dumming down' of the GP program, on FFN, closing of the lounges (Hyatt Reston - no loounge starting Friday) untrained staff at hotels (just stayed last night at Hyatt Crystal City and realized yes, this staff is UNTRAINED). I can go on and on but will stop right here. Sending my business to Marriott and Hilton.
Hope someone from Hyatt is looking at this thread as they just lost approx. $18K of my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.