Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
IMHO, it's not worth the aggrevation to save such a small amount of money. I have no intentions of buying any others until tighter controls are in place.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Definitely a case of to each his own. I'm a huge person that believes in saving money wherever possible. Therefore the chance to save 10-25% on a hotel stay is a great benefit to me and worth it. I am just learning to be more careful now. I don't buy to "Save up". I only buy when I know I have travel coming up very soon.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:39 am

It's not unheard of for me to buy several thousand at one time, so this is a big issue for me. I think my all time high was $5k, and I know of someone who bought even more than that.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Did any of those cards get compromised? Early through mid last year, I was buying to stock up but then stopped after all these reports came out. Luckily I made my way through most of them before the end of the year.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:38 am

No, it was a few years ago. Since, I've only purchased a few thousand worth, and it was before all this started happening.

I also had stocked up when Costco had them for 20% off.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Bought 4 cards from Cardcash on March 21st. One was empty when received. Received a refund March 29th. Checked the balances again and now another card has been emptied.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I bought 2 ($200) Hyatt physical GCs from Cardpool.com, which I received on March 22. I checked them on arrival by phoning 1-866-784-0540 & again just now. They're both OK. . .so far. I will use them on April 9 & 13.
Just like Cdancer20, I will buy only what I need in the next few weeks. No more stocking up. And if I have a bad experience or 2, I'll stop because the hassle won't be worth the ~15% savings.

UPDATE: I've just arrived at the HR downtown Louisville, which has debited my GC $174 upon check-in for the cash portion of my 2-night P&C stay. I asked her to do it now because of this FT thread.

UPDATE #2: I used the last $26 of that GC tonight in Columbus OH without a problem. My other GC still has $200--untouched.

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 11, 2016 at 10:58 pm Reason: Updates.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Reid
Bought 4 cards from Cardcash on March 21st. One was empty when received. Received a refund March 29th. Checked the balances again and now another card has been emptied.
Never used Cardcash, but your message made me look them up. Other than the security breach issues, have you had any problems redeeming Cardcash cards at Hyatt properties? Thanks, ST
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Never used Cardcash, but your message made me look them up. Other than the security breach issues, have you had any problems redeeming Cardcash cards at Hyatt properties? Thanks, ST
Nope. They are just like every other Hyatt GC.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Purchased a $500 e-gift card on eBay for about a 20% discount. When it arrived, I called Hyatt to verify the balance. Not only would they not tell me the balance, but they also told me I couldn't use it unless I knew who had originally purchased it and when. I explained that I bought it from a reseller, and they told me that unless the reseller wanted to give me the requested info, the card would be useless to me. EBay processed a prompt refund for me, but sounds like there are all kinds of problems going on here.

I used to buy the certs at Costco and had no problems. Now, when you try to check gift card balances online, the link is nonfunctional, and you're prompted to call in. I'm glad to see that they're cracking down on potential fraud, but then again, there are going to be tons of angry customers if they thought they had purchased legit gift cards, but when they try to use them on property, the guest is subjected to 20 questions which will likely ultimately result in an unusable gift card. Sheesh.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I have had problems with a couple of different gift cards purchased from two different big online gc resellers. Calling hyatt about the problem gets you nowhere... once hyatt was quite nasty to me saying that buying from resellers is not allowed--I'm like well shut them down it's not like they're in the wide open. The second time they were nicer but not much help. The companies that I bought them from took care of it but it was stressful as it involved a sum of money--one was close to $500. I don't seem to have problems until after I've used part of it. They remainder gets drained. The second time I called before leaving and found out it was drained--much less stressful and embarrassing than at the front desk. Hyatt clearly has an issue here and I'm out of the hyatt gift card business--just too risky and too much hassle
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by orca1114
Purchased a $500 e-gift card on eBay for about a 20% discount. When it arrived, I called Hyatt to verify the balance. Not only would they not tell me the balance, but they also told me I couldn't use it unless I knew who had originally purchased it and when. I explained that I bought it from a reseller, and they told me that unless the reseller wanted to give me the requested info, the card would be useless to me. EBay processed a prompt refund for me, but sounds like there are all kinds of problems going on here.

I used to buy the certs at Costco and had no problems. Now, when you try to check gift card balances online, the link is nonfunctional, and you're prompted to call in. I'm glad to see that they're cracking down on potential fraud, but then again, there are going to be tons of angry customers if they thought they had purchased legit gift cards, but when they try to use them on property, the guest is subjected to 20 questions which will likely ultimately result in an unusable gift card. Sheesh.
Was the card drained? Otherwise you don't need to speak to a person to get the balance. It's an automated system that you call into.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Was the card drained? Otherwise you don't need to speak to a person to get the balance. It's an automated system that you call into.
When I tried to call, it routed me directly to a person rather than the automated system. Though when I just called the same number again today, it directed me to the automated system. For kicks, I entered the numbers on the card and it has a $500 balance. We'll see what happens when I try to use it on-property in a couple weeks.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by orca1114
When I tried to call, it routed me directly to a person rather than the automated system. Though when I just called the same number again today, it directed me to the automated system. For kicks, I entered the numbers on the card and it has a $500 balance. We'll see what happens when I try to use it on-property in a couple weeks.
As long as it has balance, you should be OK. The hotel will not try to verify that it's in your name.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Earlier in this thread I guessed that Hyatt was selling cards directly to GC resellers to drum up business. Worse: Maybe dishonest Hyatt employee(s) are selling them, then letting their friends use the same number. Or selling the same GC several times!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.