Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Did you ask for a physical gift card? I still haven't read of issues with those.
I asked for something that wouldn't be at risk for fraud and they gave me the check. If they don't require the physical gift card to be present then I would expect it would have the same risk. If they require the card to be present then it should be much better.

Given that they closed down the online balance check there has to be some internal fraud or the number sequence is still too predictable. I can understand why they are not speaking about it publically, but really wonder why they bother to sell them as it cannot be good for customer experience and they have to be losing a lot of money through fraud (over $1000 from my card alone).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Looking now on giftcardgranny.com I see virgin Hyatt e-GC's of face value $500, $1000, $2000, etc. Also unused cards from other retailers, which made me suspect that the issuing retailers were selling them directly to raise.com , cardcash.com , etc. as a promotion!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Brendan
Looking now on giftcardgranny.com I see virgin Hyatt e-GC's of face value $500, $1000, $2000, etc. Also unused cards from other retailers, which made me suspect that the issuing retailers were selling them directly to raise.com , cardcash.com , etc. as a promotion!
I don't understand. Unused cards are more than likely from consumers. They get cards at discounts or as a gift and then sell them for a profit.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
IMO dozens of unused cards, esp. high-value ones, lead me to suspect that the issuing merchant has itself sold them to any of the GC brokers.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
IMO dozens of unused cards, esp. high-value ones, lead me to suspect that the issuing merchant has itself sold them to any of the GC brokers.
1k+ is a lot of money to float on a gc
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Any thoughts on whether it's 'safe' to get an e-card again? I'm getting to the point where I really should do a redemption at perk.com (rule of thumb is to never let your balance get too high at Get Paid To web sites) and the useful hotels gift card options are either Hyatt or Orbitz. Usually I'd go with the GC that lets me book directly with the hotel and its chain but I'm not crazy about Hyatt's leaky IT bucket right now.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Someone used my 1k gc at Andaz Wall Street. Customer service said they are sending me one tomorrow via email. I just checked the balance 2 weeks ago and it was all there. I suspect that the check your balance thing is being hacked someway or other.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Got caught with a $0 balance two weeks ago on a $500 card purchased from Raise.com. This was a card that had still had a $500 balance as per telephone call-in three weeks prior. Two other $250 cards purchased in same batch were still working, so I used them to check out and then called Hyatt.

Nothing made any sense. They gave me a used date that did fall in the period since I had called in to check on the card balance. But they could not/would not -- even after several transfers -- tell me where it was used (or by whom).

I called Raise.com. They apologized profusely and said that these were cards that came from Hyatt directly (not re-sale?) and that Hyatt had not loaded it. Seems to contradict my prior call-in to check balance, but since Raise.com was willing to reimburse, I figured no harm/no foul.

Except for unexpected collateral damage. Raise.com was going to charge the amount paid back to my credit card, and if you are reading this board, you can guess what would have come next: I might have had $800 worth of TYP bonus points clawed back, since the original purchase was to meet a Citi Prestige minimum spend. Eventually I got Raise.com to just give me a new egift card, and so far nothing seems to have hit the credit card. I called in yesterday, and there seems to be $500 on the new card, but, yeah, I am looking forward with some anxiety to getting rid of it on stay next week. (Assuming I still have any stays if and when Hyatt website reappears... assuming Hyatt website ever reappears....)

I'm still an idiot, though. None of this stopped me from just buying some more Hyatt e-gift certificates to take advantage of the $25 back on $200 spend at Newegg.com, from Amex offers.
So last week I was able to use the new Raise.com card for the replacement $500. Worked fine. I agree that this is likely a Hyatt problem. And, yeah, it could be that somehow checking the balance is creating a problem (even on the phone line?). But, on the other hand, if we don't check the balance, how do we relieve our anxiety?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
This gets more interesting. After not receivng any contact at all from hyatt, despite being told that I would, I called cs again. One- there is no record/ notes of me calling yesterday. Two- Hyatt no longer does e gift cards (too m uch fraud I guess). So whomever it was that I was talking to yesterday was either clueless or a phony. Now I am told that they will research what I am claiming, that I have never been to the Andaz Wall Street much less used my gc there, and they will contact me in 2 days and then send out a physical gc if all is honey dorey. Also they will not send the physical gc to a po box. End of update. Will see how this goes.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:09 pm

hyatt gift card depleted

just happened with me ... i tried to pay my hyatt waikiki bill with a gift card purchased from hyatt.com in november and was told the balance was zero. called customer service, where the agent told me it was used at a hotel in florida in december. she "opened a case and will get back to me in a couple of days." i'm hoping to get my $500 back even though it will be too late to use for this stay. must have been the december hyatt data breach. has anybody not got their $ back?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by Assam
just happened with me ... i tried to pay my hyatt waikiki bill with a gift card purchased from hyatt.com in november and was told the balance was zero. called customer service, where the agent told me it was used at a hotel in florida in december. she "opened a case and will get back to me in a couple of days." i'm hoping to get my $500 back even though it will be too late to use for this stay. must have been the december hyatt data breach. has anybody not got their $ back?
Was this an e card?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1M miler, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist.
This happened to me too. 3 separate eGCs were partially drained. Coincidentally I was checking out of HR Waikiki as well. I had been there for 2 weeks so had a substantial balance. The Front Desk person called a fraud line and I talked to them. I had to pay the balance, which was approx. $1200. The Assistant FD manager was helpful and helped to corroborate my story and lay out a game plan, which was to send one GC to HR Waikiki to cover the balance and the rest of the balance to me.

I did not hear anything for a couple of days, so I made several calls to the gift card customer service. Finally I was able to get a case number.

About a week after getting back from HNL I received a FedEx with no letter and three physical GCs for entire remaining balance. I sent another email to Diamond Customer Service and still have not heard back from anyone. I sent an email to HR Waikiki thanking them for helping me and telling them I had received the full balance. The Assistant FD manager offered to give me a credit on my credit card if I would send the physical GC to her. I'm not sure I want to do that but it's a nice offer.

Each time I have interacted with Hyatt I have had to initiate contact. It's infuriating.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kokimoto
About a week after getting back from HNL I received a FedEx with no letter and three physical GCs for entire remaining balance. I sent another email to Diamond Customer Service and still have not heard back from anyone. I sent an email to HR Waikiki thanking them for helping me and telling them I had received the full balance. The Assistant FD manager offered to give me a credit on my credit card if I would send the physical GC to her. I'm not sure I want to do that but it's a nice offer.

Each time I have interacted with Hyatt I have had to initiate contact. It's infuriating.
I think you should take her up on the offer to exchange the gift cards for a credit card statement. I mean you bought them for a discounted trip right?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I also had this problem with 2 of the 6 E cards for $500. each that I bought on Hyatt.com at the end of 2014. I was sure I had a balance on the last 2 cards but they were depleted when I tried to use them in October. I was given no information other than "zero balance" when I called customer service in November. After Christmas I called again asking for information about where the cards had been used. Bingo ! A very helpful agents did a search and told me that they had been used in places I could prove I was no where near. She started an investigation and I received my replacement certificate a few day later for $936.00.
Now I will keep a detailed account of where and how use each card and will check balance before traveling. SO happy I persevered and did not accept their first answer.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1M miler, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist.
Yes cdancer I will do it. She says I can send her an image of the card and she can deduct the balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.