issues with Hyatt gift card

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 16, 5:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: silver springer
Wiki Link
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 5, 17, 8:24 pm

I had some Hyatt gift cards that I received as a credit card reward, probably about 8 years ago. They were sitting in a safety deposit box. In getting ready for a trip I removed them from the box and found all three were drained- all within the last month. I called Hyatt to try to replace them, and I received an answer that looked canned (they didn't respond to specifics in my letter) where they said cards that were lost stolen or damaged would not be replaced without a proof of purchase. I told them that my cards weren't lost stolen or damaged, I still had them and they were in perfectly good condition, but that didn't sway them. I called the bank and they told me that they didn't have records that go back so far. Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking I am out of luck.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by joejoe2; Dec 6, 17 at 3:16 pm
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Wow, Joejoe2! I still remember that promo where Cap One offered a welcome bonus of up to 100K of their points to new cardmembers along with offering a $900 Hyatt or Fairmont GC for 50K points! Even though I did not participate.
Old Dec 6, 17, 8:56 am

It is amazing to me how poorly this is being handled. I also had a bunch of Marriott travel cards that didn't work. When I called their customer service they said they were deactivated. I mailed them the gift cards and within a week I had new gift cards with pins.
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Unfortunately, this has been going on too long. In the beginning, Hyatt was replacing them without proof of purchase.

But for the last year or so they've clamped down. Sorry this happened.

Is there any notation on your credit card statement about getting the cards?

I know I had 2 from mypoints.com that I took as a reward, and Hyatt accepted the email from them when they gave me the cards.
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Hyatt gift cards have been a major disaster, but waiting 8 years to redeem them is also kind of nuts, between the risk of loss, the loss of buying power, and the possibility a company could merge, disappear, etc. I didn't like having mine for ~8 months.
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:16 pm

I truthfully think 8 days is too long.
MarkOK, serfty and bbbb like this.
Old Dec 29, 17, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
It seems the e-gift cards were stopped being issued for awhile and now are being resumed.

Are these e-gift cards tamper resistant? But some locations are refusing to take them, is this widespread?

Other than cards that were bought in 2015 and 2016 that did not have pins, are the ones that do have pins and the "North America - South America language on the back tamper resistant?
Old Jan 2, 18, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Are the e-gift cards with pins as safe now as the plastic cards with pins?
Old Jan 2, 18, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Are the e-gift cards with pins as safe now as the plastic cards with pins?
I'm sorry but I can't help myself from typing. I should walk away. I've never been into "saving" money by buying gift cards or e-cards of any large value to start with; since they are easily lost. But Hyatt has a whole 'nother magnitude of problem. I'm surprised Hyatt hasn't folded them up since they seem unable to secure balances.

Not to say there is not some value if nothing goes wrong, but with Hyatt there seems to be no combination where nothing goes wrong for somebody.
Old Jan 9, 18, 6:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Used a few GC back in October at GHK. All processed except for one. I purchased at Safeway in April for $450, but only $100ish remaining. So I called CS, they gave me the runaround. Revisited the issue this month, and they escalated the issue to higher tier of Customer Service.

Responded saying I needed a copy of receipt from authorized retailer. Fortunately I keep all my GC receipts until I use them. So I emailed them copy of receipt and card.

Their response was that it wasn't covered. I guess Safeway isn't an authorized retailer!?!? Ok.

They recommended getting in touch with Safeway Corporate.

They also gave me transaction info, and the card was used at two hotels not that far from where I got the gift card. The hotels identified the transactions, though there were two different names associated with the usage. Hotel manager referred me back to corporate. I have yet to ask for the names and info, but doubt they'd give them to me anyways. Not sure if filing a police report will do me any good, but I do want that money back.

Recommendations?
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Have you contacted Safeway? The seller would be the next step, although it's lame the way Hyatt gives people the runaround.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Have you contacted Safeway? The seller would be the next step, although it's lame the way Hyatt gives people the runaround.
That's my next step. I also talked to my CC company. Seems disputing the charge is not out of the question. I'll talk to Safeway before I do that, though.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 10:50 am

After a bit of back and forth, Hyatt sent me a replacement GC. They apologized that their original response gave the impression Safeway was not an authorized retailer.
Old Feb 5, 18, 8:06 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by AEmgee View Post
I was told today by the front desk at the Hyatt Regency where I am staying that electronic gift cards are not accepted without PROOF OF PURCHASE from Hyatt.

Has anybody else heard of this policy?
The front desk at the Hyatt Regency Orange County just refused to take two e-GIft Certificates because I did not have “proof or purchase”. This is absurd, nowhere on the printed terms does it say POP is required to redeem. It s a GIFT certificate for crying out loud, by definition, I PROBABLY DIDN'T BUY IT. How can they get away with such a ridiculous policy?
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Feb 5, 18, 10:02 pm

I recently had some GCs replaced after some back and forth as to where they were purchased, Amazon & SVM.

I had to show the receipts from Amazon and SVM, Hyatt balked at first with the Amazon receipts because the GCs said sold by ACI.

I found out that Amazon owns ACI and forwarded the info.

They sent me an E Gift card to replace some of the SVM cards that I didn't ask for so I told them to send a plastic card.
I declined the e gift card based on some reports here of some locations refusing to take them.

While waiting for the Amazon cards to resolved Hyatt updated their phone in system so it asks for a pin whether the card has a pin or not.

I requested they freeze and reissue the remaining GCs I had without a pin.

I finally got my Amazon cards replaced onto one and the unused no pin Amazon cards reissued with a pin.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: