issues with Hyatt gift card

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 16, 5:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: silver springer
Wiki Link
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 20, 17, 4:32 pm

I noticed this today when booking a Hyatt Place:
"Due to increase in fraudulent gift card activity, digital e-gift cards either in printed form or displayed on smart phone or tablet, email, etc. will not be accepted. Only physical gift cards will be accepted until this illicit activity is addressed. Please contact the hotel directly for any further information."
Old Oct 20, 17, 8:41 pm

So like, who are they hoping will address that?
Old Oct 20, 17, 11:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
IMHO Hyatt GCs are No Good. If this "policy" spreads, it will be the last straw in causing Hyatt GCs to reach "Good for Nothing" status.
Hyatt GCs have been good for nothing more than 12 months ago. Buying a Hyatt GC and not using it more than 2 hours after purchase is like playing Russian roulette.
Old Oct 25, 17, 8:49 am

Is there a list (or regional memo??) of places that won't take the GCs? It's hard to pass up a discount.
Old Oct 25, 17, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Pass it up. Read the posts in this thread and others and you'll find many GC have been drained, sometimes right after purchase.

The cards you may be holding may already be drained.
Old Nov 17, 17, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
There’s still no way to check balances online for plastic gift cards bought from Amazon, right? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 17, 3:31 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Data point on the printed GC certs:

Bought $100 Hyatt gift cert from Raise.com on 11/9/17 for $80
Checked in the HR OC the same afternoon - FD agent told they won't accept the $100 cert at checkout
FD added that you need a PIN as the GC or cert must be purchased at Hyatt or Hyatt.com
Called Raise.com who told me that they never heard of this policy
Checked out on 11/11/17 and presented the $100 cert again. Not only it was accepted but the $100 value was there.

So, YMMV - is it worth taking a risk on a huge amount? No! But I'd buy from reputable outlet in small amounts with 20% or more savings and use immediately.
Old Nov 17, 17, 6:03 pm

I had three plastic cards bought from Amazon over 6 months ago and they all had their full value — almost $1,000 — when I redeemed them today. Not sure if I got lucky or if the plastic cards had less fraud than the e-certificates.
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:14 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Just noticed the "Check Your Gift Card Balance" function has returned to the Hyatt website. A PIN must be entered in addition to the card number. This function had been removed from the website a couple of years ago and was only available by telephone after removal.
Old Nov 24, 17, 12:42 pm

I'm at a Hyatt that accepts electronic gift cards.

I'm trying to use some that I bought online, but they have no expiration date or PIN. They just have the 19 digit number.

Does anyone know what the desk should enter on their terminal as an expiration date for these?

These guys are being really helpful, but I want them the be able to verify these before I leave here just so I don't leave behind any issues.
Old Nov 24, 17, 5:04 pm

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post

I'm trying to use some that I bought online, but they have no expiration date or PIN. They just have the 19 digit number.

Does anyone know what the desk should enter on their terminal as an expiration date for these?

These guys are being really helpful, but I want them the be able to verify these before I leave here just so I don't leave behind any issues.

Hyatt Gift Cards never expire.
Old Nov 24, 17, 5:21 pm

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
bought one for 150$ on cardppolDOTcom They have 100 listed at 100$each. bought one for 150$ it was added instantly to my wallet. VALUE 0$ not shocked. Just have to go thru the hoops, AGAIN. wiash it was the old days buy a gift card, 8-10 pct off. and it actually works. been awhile since ivebought from third party, cardpool is one of the better ones, not this time
Old Nov 24, 17, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
Just noticed the "Check Your Gift Card Balance" function has returned to the Hyatt website. A PIN must be entered in addition to the card number. This function had been removed from the website a couple of years ago and was only available by telephone after removal.
Also need to enter the zip code to which the gift card was originally shipped, which means this system only works for cards bought directly from Hyatt.
Old Nov 24, 17, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post

Is it even possible to "leave behind issues"? I'd be surprised if they let you check out without them already having verified and applied the gift card balance(s). In my experience, they always verify and apply the gift card(s) immediately. They don't blindly take them at check out and assume they have value.
Old Nov 25, 17, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Is it even possible to "leave behind issues"? I'd be surprised if they let you check out without them already having verified and applied the gift card balance(s). In my experience, they always verify and apply the gift card(s) immediately. They don't blindly take them at check out and assume they have value.
they did seem willing to at one point.

Anyway, the answer is to use today’s date, so 1125.

Search this Thread