issues with Hyatt gift card

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 16, 5:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: silver springer
Wiki Link
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 22, 17, 8:38 am

I notice that Discover no longer is offering the discounted Hyatt gift cards on their website.
Old Jul 29, 17, 12:05 pm

Programs: hyatt diamond
I just looked and Amazon is no longer selling their physical gift cards either.

Also, I looked at capital one and I used to be able to use my points to get hyatt gift cards and that is no longer an option.

I used both these things all the time, kinda sucks.

Are there any stores besides Hyatt and discount websites that sells them anymore?
Old Jul 29, 17, 9:29 pm

I contacted Hyatt and they said you can only buy gc from them going forward (with the exception of resellers like cardcash etc). Sucks the scammers had to ruin it for us.
Old Jul 31, 17, 10:18 am

The deal through Amazon was great.

The deal at office supply stores was pretty good.

Without both of those, I'll basically have to consider my Hyatt costs to have increased by something around 5%.

Maybe they'll bring back that Amex OPEN discount . . .
Old Aug 4, 17, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I had a gift card purchased from Hyatt with over $800 remaining balance that was apparently emptied out in late March. The "issue" was not discovered until I checked into a hotel last week (that I intended to use the card at).

I guess that I should be grateful with the outcome, but that's not the sentiment I'm currently enjoying. Instead of calling or emailing me to discuss next steps, instead I found a replacement gift card (for the full missing amount) mailed to my home address. It was not accompanied by a letter, so I don't know if the investigation identified where/how the gift card account had been misused. When calling to initiate the investigation (the 800 number on the back of the card was useless, other than to provide a useful telephone number of Hyatt Corp Relations), I expressed that I was hoping that they could expedite the investigation so as to cover the expense at the Hyatt that I was staying, but I guess that request was rejected out of hand.

So now I'm holding a new $800+ Hyatt gift card (looks nearly identical to the old one, albeit with a different 19-digit ID number and now with a 4-digit PIN) and a large soon-to-be-received Chase Hyatt credit card bill incurred at a Hyatt hotel, and no apparent way to use the one to pay the other.

My unhappiness (in not being able to use my gift card to pay the hotel bill it was intended to be used for) is increased by not knowing how/where the presumed hacking occurred, and my unproven --- but not dis-proven --- suspicion that the emptying of the gift card value was directly associated with the changeover from GoldPassport to World of Hyatt.

My advise to anyone with an outstanding Hyatt gift card is to verify whether it has any remaining value, and if it does, to use it up as soon as practicable. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Aug 4, 17, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It has nothing to do with the changeover. Cards have been emptied for more than a year. In the past they did not include pins and after they were added, it still didn't help much. I had one with a pin that was emptied.

Someone figured out the numbering convention and went to town redeeming them. Mine was only $25 and the department handling the issue told me where it was spent and on what date. They replaced it within a matter of days.
Old Aug 4, 17, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Just my two cents, but...

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Mine was only $25 and the department handling the issue told me where it was spent and on what date. They replaced it within a matter of days.
I remain dubious that knowing where and when it was spent tells you anything about the culprit(s).

It would be like a bad movie if there were actually someone who stole electronically Hyatt gift cards in order to indulge their own taste for Hyatt hotels.

Rather, I think that the users and the victims are an overlapping set, since some of us buy gift cards from resellers. When they get drained we squawk. When we use them before they get drained, we may well be using the drained cards of others.
Old Aug 4, 17, 6:06 pm

So I see these on eBay from SVM ($50 is the largest) and, of course, at hyatt.com.

Has anyone seen them anywhere else, beyond the resellers? Any office supply stores still have them in stock?
Old Oct 8, 17, 11:23 pm

I was told today by the front desk at the Hyatt Regency where I am staying that electronic gift cards are not accepted without PROOF OF PURCHASE from Hyatt.

Has anybody else heard of this policy?
Old Oct 8, 17, 11:25 pm

Programs: HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM ELITE
Originally Posted by AEmgee View Post
I was told today by the front desk at the Hyatt Regency where I am staying that electronic gift cards are not accepted without PROOF OF PURCHASE from Hyatt.

I always use them and have never heard that.
Old Oct 9, 17, 12:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by AEmgee View Post

Which property?
Old Oct 9, 17, 1:51 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS View Post
I always use them and have never heard that.
Where you buy them from? Any issues redeeming them?
Old Oct 9, 17, 7:56 am

Yes, I posted in the Andaz Maui thread that some properties are going with this policy. Had a friend that bought from 3rd party GC site. Upon checkout at the Andaz Maui they told him of the policy AND had his cards deactivated. Some properties might take them though. I used an EGC at the Hyatt in Tahoe in July without any issue.
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:35 am

Does this new "policy" also apply to the physical plastic gift cards?
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:39 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
IMHO Hyatt GCs are No Good. If this "policy" spreads, it will be the last straw in causing Hyatt GCs to reach "Good for Nothing" status.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: