issues with Hyatt gift card

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 16, 5:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: silver springer
Wiki Link
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 6, 16, 11:50 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Posts: 6,535
No mention was made of a guarantee other than PayPal/ Ebay Buyer Protection. Indeed, these ebay postings said 'Returns Not Accepted.' It clearly said, 'GC expires in 3 (or 4) weeks.'
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Hyatt-Ho...25.m3641.l6368
Brendan is offline  
Old Jun 7, 16, 7:13 am
  #182  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,355
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
No mention was made of a guarantee other than PayPal/ Ebay Buyer Protection. Indeed, these ebay postings said 'Returns Not Accepted.' It clearly said, 'GC expires in 3 (or 4) weeks.'
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Hyatt-Ho...25.m3641.l6368
Interesting that they quote "No Paypal". That makes it a bit more risky to me. I feel like Paypal's customer protection is better than just ebay alone. (Which sometimes can be flipped on the seller.) In a case like this though, I would be too scared to even try.
cdancer20 is offline  
Old Jun 9, 16, 3:49 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,681
eBay is rife with Hyatt GCs all at much larger discounts than I typically see.

This is basically an admission that the card is fraudulent? Given that Cardcash, for one, has none, but that eBay has them at extremely nice discounts, this whole area is extremely suspect.

Too bad for me - I need some new ones.

Here's the current discount situation on eBay:

josephstern is offline  
Old Jun 9, 16, 5:10 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
eBay is rife with Hyatt GCs all at much larger discounts than I typically see.

This is basically an admission that the card is fraudulent? Given that Cardcash, for one, has none, but that eBay has them at extremely nice discounts, this whole area is extremely suspect.

Too bad for me - I need some new ones.

Here's the current discount situation on eBay:

Yeah, I'm coming up on two weeks of travel at various Hyatt properties and would love me some gift card discounts. I've been eyeing those too, but won't because...shady
ClarkGriswold is offline  
Old Jun 10, 16, 12:09 pm
  #185  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,681
I've heard of people buying these on eBay literally at the front desk of the hotel at checkout, and using the number right then and there. But if it's already a bad number, I'm not sure how that helps.
josephstern is offline  
Old Jun 21, 16, 1:49 pm
  #186  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Posts: 280
I've got someone on eBay offering me $1000 in Hyatt gift cards for $550 if I pay through Authorize.net instead of eBay/Paypal. The person has 10 eBay feedback, all positive so far. Does anyone have experience in filing a chargeback direct with Visa/MC/Amex if the deal turns out to be a scam?
Reid is offline  
Old Jun 21, 16, 2:22 pm
  #187  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,546
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
I've got someone on eBay offering me $1000 in Hyatt gift cards for $550 if I pay through Authorize.net instead of eBay/Paypal. The person has 10 eBay feedback, all positive so far. Does anyone have experience in filing a chargeback direct with Visa/MC/Amex if the deal turns out to be a scam?
A 45% discount is most likely funded with stolen credit card or otherwise fraudulent gift card to begin with.

You are braver than I.
seawolf is online now  
Old Jun 21, 16, 2:57 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,681
So easy to get a feedback of 10 on eBay - especially if it's all as a buyer. But even as a seller, easy.

What seems legit about this transaction?
josephstern is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 4:58 pm
  #189  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: City of TEN
Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Posts: 167
bought a 500$ ebay GC around 6/10, current balance today 311$.......ugh note from the Seller today, "you should use them right away........." oh, this is legit. for sure! can't believe eBay is continuing to let these cards get listed.....I'm part of the problem! there's a headache attached, but "GREED IS GOOD" "DISCOUNTS FOR EVERYONEEEE!!!" lol
creativeguess1 is online now  
Old Jun 22, 16, 6:03 pm
  #190  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,194
What did you pay for the $500 card? Could that alone have sent up a red flag?

Does eBay offer any type of protection if you've been defrauded?
tom911 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 6:05 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,681
Be sure to quickly file a dispute with PayPal and eBay and your credit card company (if you used a credit card with PayPal).
josephstern is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:21 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,355
Originally Posted by creativeguess1 View Post
bought a 500$ ebay GC around 6/10, current balance today 311$.......ugh note from the Seller today, "you should use them right away........." oh, this is legit. for sure! can't believe eBay is continuing to let these cards get listed.....I'm part of the problem! there's a headache attached, but "GREED IS GOOD" "DISCOUNTS FOR EVERYONEEEE!!!" lol
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Be sure to quickly file a dispute with PayPal and eBay and your credit card company (if you used a credit card with PayPal).
While unfortunately, the seller is right about using them immediately based on our experiences here, you definitely are due your money back. So the seller wasn't willing to refund at all? If not, yep file a dispute with ebay and PayPal first. Leave your credit card as the last option.
cdancer20 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 16, 6:42 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central CT
Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Posts: 1,470
More fun with Cardcash.com

Purchased 3 cards on April 15: $250, $200, $100. Checked all 3 at purchase and the $250 card only had a balance of $14, both of the others were fine; Cardcash resolved the missing $236 with credit back to my Paypal account in about 4 days.

Just checked the balances again because I'm traveling next week, and the $14 card and the $100 card are fine - but the $200 card has a zero balance. Called Hyatt customer service and they say they can confirm the zero balance (and that the card was drained on June 17th) but can't do anything to help me since the card was purchased from Cardcash. Called Cardcash CS, and they're closed for the day - they're only active 9-5 eastern time - so will follow up in the morning and see where it goes.

I'm done with Hyatt gift cards after this, regardless; I love the discount, but the lack of security on these transactions is unacceptable.
SportsTech is offline  
Old Jun 27, 16, 10:52 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Posts: 6,535
Supplies of Hyatt GCs are dwindling on Ebay. Also, many of those still offered are from someone with 0 feedback--brand new member !
Brendan is offline  
Old Jun 28, 16, 4:08 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 265
Just had the balances of my replacement gift cards also drained. Such a frustrating experience the first time; infuriating the second time!
CubsGirl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread