Hyatt Regency Osaka or Kyoto

Old Sep 30, 15, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency Osaka or Kyoto

Really unusual situation: one of my clients has given me the option to work in Osaka or Kyoto. Meetings would be at/near hotel, so commute to city isn't an issue. I won't have any time to see the cities, so location isn't really an issue.

I seldom see full-service hotels, much less in Asia, so I know either will be great vis-a-vis the Super8/EconoLodge. Any thoughts on which hotel is a better experience overall? January 2016. Flying into/out of KIX. I'm Diamond, for what it's worth.

I've looked at both Review threads. Kind of hard to compare. But, as I say, both look "dreamy" for me.
Old Sep 30, 15, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Interesting.

HR Kyoto is by far the better of the two. Kyoto is by far the 'better' city as well, at least from the average-tourist point of view.

If you don't intend to leave the hotel, at all, then the HR Osaka actually has an advantage because it has a lounge (nothing to write about), it has very good offerings during Happy Hour and it's closer to the airport (still a long drive though).

But HR Kyoto is a much nicer property with great rooms, excellent breakfast and excellent restaurants on site and it has a spa.

I'd take HR Kyoto. Do make the time to visit the city - it's a gem.
Old Sep 30, 15, 3:30 pm

Osaka is usually cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be a factor for you. Osaka's downside is its somewhat remote bayside location, which also isn't a factor for you. KIX bus to Osaka takes about 45 minutes and is door-to-door. Kyoto would be an additional 30 minutes or so. Osaka has a solid Regency Club which can be a dinner replacement, which Kyoto (from what I understand) lacks. In January, Kyoto will be slightly colder, with occasional snow accumulation vs. Osaka where the snow usually melts when it hits the pavement. In Osaka, as a Diamond, you'll likely get a room on an upper floor 25F to 27F while the Kyoto hotel is not nearly as tall.

Last edited by Mark McCracken; Sep 30, 15 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 30, 15, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
If you have any concern at all for your company's budget, choose Osaka. Also better business facilities, and a really nice club lounge arrangement (a nice big place with all the food and drinks and a nice little place that's quiet with a great view)

Save Kyoto for a time when you can do some sightseeing.
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. This is an ultra rare occasion when the client is not price-sensitive and is picking up the tab.

Still, saving anyone a few bucks - especially someone who is "rescuing" me from my original booking at the Business Hotel Wako - is good policy. And Osaka saves me from a little tougher transit.

And, when I can muster some vacation time, I'll try Kyoto.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Sep 30, 15, 8:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
Thanks. This is an ultra rare occasion when the client is not price-sensitive and is picking up the tab.

Still, saving anyone a few bucks - especially someone who is "rescuing" me from my original booking at the Business Hotel Wako - is good policy. And Osaka saves me from a little tougher transit.

And, when I can muster some vacation time, I'll try Kyoto.

Thanks for all the feedback!
I would do Kyoto because I love the staff and service there. The transit from the airport to Kyoto is longer but not necessarily more difficult. They do offer a complimentary taxi ride via MK taxi from Kyoto station. It's also very driveable using a rental car (my preferred method).

I've not really heard great things on HR Osaka from friends in the industry.
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:39 pm

I've stayed in both. You won't get much diamond benefits in terms of upgrading at Kyoto since you can't use a DSU there. I found the breakfast at Kyoto to be better than Osaka, but the the evening spread at Osaka really makes up for their mediocre breakfast. The evening spread at Osaka really makes up for areas where it is lacking when compared to Kyoto. Yes, Osaka is an older hotel, but you can use a DSU there and get a nice big suite. Osaka also has a complimentary shuttle. Kyoto is far from the train and you'd have to take a bus. The distance is the one thing I didn't like about Kyoto.

I feel there would be more conference room space at Osaka versus Kyoto since Kyoto is more of a place for vacation. Most of the people at Kyoto were vacationing like me while I saw some businessmen/women at Osaka. With that said, Osaka is an older hotel so Kyoto is nicer.

When I was at Kyoto, the complimentary MK Taxi only worked one way (going from Kyoto Station to the hotel for check in).

For me personally, I'd choose Osaka since it's cheaper, I can use my DSU, get to take advantage of the evening spread, shuttle service.
Old Sep 30, 15, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
We've stayed at least 50 times at Kyoto and at least 40 times at Osaka, but it is a difficult comparison. You do not mention your length of stay or whether you have a DSU that you can use, and I assume you will be alone.

Breakfast: Better quality at Kyoto but larger variety at Osaka; if you're staying a month Kyoto could get a bit boring, although they will do eggs to order.

Evening: Osaka has decent food and wine in the lounge, but the variety could get rather boring. Kyoto gets you one drink in the bar. But if your employer is picking up the tab for dinner at the hotel, then don't even bother to consider anything else and go with Kyoto.

Other dinner options: Neither have convenience stores on property but both within easy walk; completely under cover at Osaka. Kyoto has almost no inexpensive dining options close by, Osaka has many, again walkable under cover, but note that they close relatively early. Osaka has a great table set up for eating in room, at Kyoto you can eat at the desk.

Room: Much larger at Osaka, but low-grade mattress, worn carpets and curtains. Kyoto has small rooms, but much higher quality. For an extended stay at Kyoto I would unpack and ask the hotel to store the empty suitcases to free up some space.

Bath/lavatory: For one person Osaka is somewhat more spacious and easier to use, but Kyoto has a separated WC, which is convenient for 2 guests.

AP transport: Osaka has the direct bus, but Kyoto is just a short taxi ride to Kyoto Station and then a very comfortable direct train to KIX.

Spa/gym: Someone mentioned that Kyoto has a spa, but that is only for very pricey spa treatments. Otherwise Kyoto just has a small gym. Osaka has a large gym, pool, whirlpool, dry sauna, steam sauna, full-body showers.

Local neighbourhood: Since you say you will not be going out much, I assume you will not do extensive touring in either city. If you have 30-60 minutes to spare, you can see a few temples, shrines, and cultural things in Kyoto, while in Osaka the nearby shopping mall (accessible under cover) give you something to do while experiencing a snapshot of lower middle-class Japan.

Business facilities: Osaka has a business center, but opening hours are limited; easy to get an hour meeting room, and the old club lounge is often empty.

Cost: Since rates at Osaka have gotten very high, unless using P&C rates, I would not worry about the difference in room rates between the 2, other than evening meal costs, which of course the lounge at Osaka would offset.
antonius66 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 15, 11:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Spa/gym: Someone mentioned that Kyoto has a spa, but that is only for very pricey spa treatments. Otherwise Kyoto just has a small gym. Osaka has a large gym, pool, whirlpool, dry sauna, steam sauna, full-body showers.
Not pricey when using 50% off from Virtuoso!
Old Sep 30, 15, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Not pricey when using 50% off from Virtuoso!
They had a special plan a few years ago: stay 2 nights and get 50% off all meals and spa treatments; we used the plan twice and had spa treatments twice each time! Especially liked the hari

But my comment was more directed at the OP; I just wanted to point out that the spa at Kyoto and the spa at Osaka mean 2 different things.
Old Apr 4, 18, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, HH GOLD, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
Anyone know how much a taxi would cost from Itami to Hyatt Regency Osaka? (Hyatt says they will send a sedan for 10,000 yen but I assume taxi likely substantially less).

Also, what are my chances that the Hyatt bus will be available on a Saturday night around 8 pm from JR Osaka to the hotel? Is it a large bus or minivan?

thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 18, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Platinum, Delta Platinum, Turkish Elite
It comes every 30 minutes on the hour. It's a large van (not a bus).

Also make sure youre at Osaka station and NOT shin-Osaka station.
Old Apr 4, 18, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, HH GOLD, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by shakim View Post
It comes every 30 minutes on the hour. It's a large van (not a bus).

Also make sure youre at Osaka station and NOT shin-Osaka station.

Thanks. Any idea how much a taxi costs from Itami directly to the Hyatt Regency Osaka? I'm coming off a flight from NY with connection NRT and may not want the hassle and to take a chance of missing the first (or second) bus. Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 18, 10:54 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

Originally Posted by fmkgb View Post
Thanks. Any idea how much a taxi costs from Itami directly to the Hyatt Regency Osaka? I'm coming off a flight from NY with connection NRT and may not want the hassle and to take a chance of missing the first (or second) bus. Thanks.
Taxifarefinder estimates the fare at 8,850yen in normal traffic.
Old Apr 4, 18, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
Taxifarefinder estimates the fare at 8,850yen in normal traffic.
Almost the same as hotel Sedan pickup 10,000 yen. THANKS!

Search this Thread