HR or GH in Atlanta for wedding night?

Old Sep 18, 15, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

HR or GH in Atlanta for wedding night?

Hi there, I am almost done with my min spend and will have my two free nights for any Hyatt soon. I am looking for a nice hotel for my wedding night in April. Any advice on the Grand Hyatt or the Hyatt Regency?

Also, I know the certificate allows for a standard room. Do they usually let you combine that with cash to upgrade to a suite?
Old Sep 18, 15, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm sure people more familiar with Atlanta Hyatts will be along shortly, but usually a Grand is nicer than a Regency.

But if I had two free nights at ANY Hyatt in the world I would be saving them for a Park Hyatt or Andaz somewhere nice and/or expensive. Paris, London, New York, Tokyo, etc.

Those Category 3 hotels in Atlanta are just 12,000 points per night or 6,000 + $75. Relatively easy to accumulate those points. I think I've also read somewhere that Atlanta is good for mattress runs because of its cheap weekend rates.

I don't know if you can upgrade the credit card nights, but upgrades normally cost 6,000 points per night for a suite. For cash upgrades, it's best just to contact the hotel and see what they are willing to do.
Old Sep 19, 15, 5:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post

But if I had two free nights at ANY Hyatt in the world I would be saving them for a Park Hyatt or Andaz somewhere nice and/or expensive. Paris, London, New York, Tokyo, etc.

Those Category 3 hotels in Atlanta are just 12,000 points per night or 6,000 + $75. Relatively easy to accumulate those points. I think I've also read somewhere that Atlanta is good for mattress runs because of its cheap weekend rates.
I'm with craigthemif. Use those free nights at a higher class property. Try to find a BRG or just pay for the Atl Hyatts. And yes, GH is almost always better than a Regency.
Old Sep 19, 15, 7:11 am
Suspended

Don't use the free nights in ATL. Period, end of story.
Old Sep 19, 15, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thx for the input. I originally apped for the card to use the free nights at the Andaz Maui for the honeymoon. Our plans changed and now we are going to Sandals in Jamaica so trying to figure out how to use the nights since they expire in a year. Can't really see us doing too much travel over the next year after spending a good chunk of change on the wedding and honeymoon so a flight to London probably won't be happening.
Old Sep 19, 15, 8:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

PH Washington is a bit farther up the East Coast. Would be the closest PH to the ATL. Depends where you are really but try to use them at a PH or Andaz. Using the certs is of course better than letting them go to waste.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 19, 15 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 19, 15, 9:09 am

Yes, use the certificates for an expensive property if possible. Are you traveling anywhere in the US that has a Park Hyatt? I would want to get at least $400/night value out of thise certificates.

The annual retention night is limited to category 1-4, so that can make sense to use somewhere cheap if you do not have any better options.

But, if you really won't be able to use them anywhere else, then of course using the certs anywhere is better than letting them expire...
Old Sep 19, 15, 9:38 am

Its probably not practical if you are flying out of Hartsfield but I would think the Andaz Savannah would be your best option in the Southeast.
Old Sep 19, 15, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by BobR View Post
Its probably not practical if you are flying out of Hartsfield but I would think the Andaz Savannah would be your best option in the Southeast.
It makes zero sense to stay in Savannah if attending a wedding in Atlanta. There are flights from Savannah to Atlanta, it's that far away.
Old Sep 19, 15, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Didn't know they had an Andaz in Savannah. Maybe we could do a weekend getaway and use it there. Only a couple of hours drive from Atlanta.
Old Sep 19, 15, 5:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
I love the GH Atlanta Buckhead. One of my favorite Hyatts, period.
Old Sep 20, 15, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 49erlady View Post
Can't really see us doing too much travel over the next year after spending a good chunk of change on the wedding and honeymoon so a flight to London probably won't be happening.
Congrats BTW...

If you won't be travelling much due to finances, that's even more reason to hang on to the free nights to do a nice weekend getaway. Savannah has already been mentioned. New Orleans? Washington DC?

Isn't there also a Hyatt Zilara at Montego Bay?
Old Sep 20, 15, 1:05 pm

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
I've stayed at both properties many times and it really boils down to what you are looking for. The Hyatt Regency has more recently been redone and I would argue feels nicer (I like their food outlets better as well, breakfast is pretty good).

GH is a great hotel and Club lounge is open on Saturdays and Sunday morning, but since you will obviously be at your wedding, not sure how important that is .

If it were me and I was just looking for a place to rest for the night, I'd probably pick the HR, but if the GH is closer to where you were getting married, I'd go with that one. If HR is closer, then that makes it a no-brainer.

Search this Thread