Must pay $1 for an award stay?

Reply

Old Sep 18, 15, 4:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Posts: 2,740
Must pay $1 for an award stay?

Just checked in to the HR Hong Kong, TST. Using points for award stay and am Diam, but doubt that makes a difference. Was told at check-in that I'm required to pay $1 for my stay. Eh?!?! Was told the hotel's been doing this for 2 years and that other Hyatt hotels in Asia do the same, which I know isn't correct. Didn't feel like escalating, but has this been done to anyone else? Quite odd!
SFO_FT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 4:41 am
  #2  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,439
That's not true because I never paid a cent at stays at PH Busan or Seoul a few weeks back.
Aventine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 7:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Circle City
Posts: 3,562
Yes, they said it was because the system would not post the amenity without something being charged to the system because the system otherwise would not register the stay. It seems to be a quirk unique to this hotel. Our stay was about a year and a half ago so it's not a new policy. Although odd, it was a very nice hotel and a very nice stay and we decided there were bigger fish to fry.
Darren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 7:37 am
  #4  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,439
That's very strange indeed.
Aventine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 7:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Yes, they said it was because the system would not post the amenity without something being charged to the system because the system otherwise would not register the stay. It seems to be a quirk unique to this hotel. Our stay was about a year and a half ago so it's not a new policy. Although odd, it was a very nice hotel and a very nice stay and we decided there were bigger fish to fry.
Just charge NOTHING and request the amenity retroactively via Gold Passport. Instead of 1,000 points, you would receive 1,500 points because the hotel "forgot" to post the amenity.

If the hotel insists to charge $1, I would fight this as a matter of principle.
Fly Me To The Moon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 7:47 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,384
1 HK$ is 12.9 cents U.S.

Let go of it already. Give the great staff at this hotel a break and don't poison the well for future Diamonds.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 7:51 am
  #7  
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,371
Yeah, that's a thing with HR TST. They tell me that every time I check in on points. Gotta charge at least $1, or the amenity points won't post.

Just call for the retro-credit.
jpdx is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 9:15 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon View Post
Just charge NOTHING and request the amenity retroactively via Gold Passport. Instead of 1,000 points, you would receive 1,500 points because the hotel "forgot" to post the amenity.

If the hotel insists to charge $1, I would fight this as a matter of principle.
I'd ask them to not charge it so I'd get the extra points.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 15, 10:12 am
  #9  
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,371
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
1 HK$ is 12.9 cents U.S.

Let go of it already. Give the great staff at this hotel a break and don't poison the well for future Diamonds.
Actually, they're not offering an option to charge HK$1. They're telling you that you have to spend at least that much if you want the diamond amenity to post, e.g., by taking something from the minibar, eating at a hotel restaurant, and/or going to the spa. I've had them specifically suggest some or all of these options.

I really like this hotel and the club staff are very friendly, but this is the only hotel where I've ever had this spiel on arrival. I've never not spent anything, so I have no idea what actually happens if your folio is $0.
jpdx is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 15, 7:04 am
  #10  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,416
The Hyatt in Singapore does the same thing.
iluv2fly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 15, 9:33 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin Texas
Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Posts: 2,835
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
1 HK$ is 12.9 cents U.S.

Let go of it already. Give the great staff at this hotel a break and don't poison the well for future Diamonds.
.... Thank you. Starting a thread wasted more than 15 cents of their life. Some of the things people complain about just startles me.
austin_modern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 15, 9:40 am
  #12  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,439
Japan and Korea must use a different payment system with GP. Blank folios just had me walking put of there and seeing my points post a few days later. Never had to charge 10 won or 10 yen...ever.
Aventine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 15, 10:58 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by austin_modern View Post
.... Thank you. Starting a thread wasted more than 15 cents of their life. Some of the things people complain about just startles me.
But they got a post credit, so it's all worthwhile.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 15, 4:56 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Posts: 2,740
Originally Posted by austin_modern View Post
.... Thank you. Starting a thread wasted more than 15 cents of their life. Some of the things people complain about just startles me.
Agree. Even more startling? People that complain about people complaining. Some people!! OP should actually complain about that to someone.
SFO_FT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 15, 5:42 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 827
great inasmuch as YOU are the OP.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Agree. Even more startling? People that complain about people complaining. Some people!! OP should actually complain about that to someone.
leeky is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread