Wiki Posts
Search

Must pay $1 for an award stay?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Must pay $1 for an award stay?

Just checked in to the HR Hong Kong, TST. Using points for award stay and am Diam, but doubt that makes a difference. Was told at check-in that I'm required to pay $1 for my stay. Eh?!?! Was told the hotel's been doing this for 2 years and that other Hyatt hotels in Asia do the same, which I know isn't correct. Didn't feel like escalating, but has this been done to anyone else? Quite odd!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

That's not true because I never paid a cent at stays at PH Busan or Seoul a few weeks back.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:22 am

Yes, they said it was because the system would not post the amenity without something being charged to the system because the system otherwise would not register the stay. It seems to be a quirk unique to this hotel. Our stay was about a year and a half ago so it's not a new policy. Although odd, it was a very nice hotel and a very nice stay and we decided there were bigger fish to fry.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's very strange indeed.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Darren
Yes, they said it was because the system would not post the amenity without something being charged to the system because the system otherwise would not register the stay. It seems to be a quirk unique to this hotel. Our stay was about a year and a half ago so it's not a new policy. Although odd, it was a very nice hotel and a very nice stay and we decided there were bigger fish to fry.
Just charge NOTHING and request the amenity retroactively via Gold Passport. Instead of 1,000 points, you would receive 1,500 points because the hotel "forgot" to post the amenity.

If the hotel insists to charge $1, I would fight this as a matter of principle.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1 HK$ is 12.9 cents U.S.

Let go of it already. Give the great staff at this hotel a break and don't poison the well for future Diamonds.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:51 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Yeah, that's a thing with HR TST. They tell me that every time I check in on points. Gotta charge at least $1, or the amenity points won't post.

Just call for the retro-credit.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just charge NOTHING and request the amenity retroactively via Gold Passport. Instead of 1,000 points, you would receive 1,500 points because the hotel "forgot" to post the amenity.

If the hotel insists to charge $1, I would fight this as a matter of principle.
I'd ask them to not charge it so I'd get the extra points.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:12 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Kacee
1 HK$ is 12.9 cents U.S.

Let go of it already. Give the great staff at this hotel a break and don't poison the well for future Diamonds.
Actually, they're not offering an option to charge HK$1. They're telling you that you have to spend at least that much if you want the diamond amenity to post, e.g., by taking something from the minibar, eating at a hotel restaurant, and/or going to the spa. I've had them specifically suggest some or all of these options.

I really like this hotel and the club staff are very friendly, but this is the only hotel where I've ever had this spiel on arrival. I've never not spent anything, so I have no idea what actually happens if your folio is $0.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:04 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

The Hyatt in Singapore does the same thing.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Kacee
1 HK$ is 12.9 cents U.S.

.... Thank you. Starting a thread wasted more than 15 cents of their life. Some of the things people complain about just startles me.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Japan and Korea must use a different payment system with GP. Blank folios just had me walking put of there and seeing my points post a few days later. Never had to charge 10 won or 10 yen...ever.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by austin_modern
.... Thank you. Starting a thread wasted more than 15 cents of their life. Some of the things people complain about just startles me.
But they got a post credit, so it's all worthwhile.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Agree. Even more startling? People that complain about people complaining. Some people!! OP should actually complain about that to someone.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:42 am
Suspended

great inasmuch as YOU are the OP.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Agree. Even more startling? People that complain about people complaining. Some people!! OP should actually complain about that to someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.