Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Where to go for Xmas and new years in Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:49 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

I'm planning a family trip (4 of us) for the holidays to Asia and want to make use of my diamond status. We fly in and out of HKG and wanted to spend a few days in HKG to site-see. Which brings the first Q, from what I read the GH is very nice but the HR area gives a more local feeling. Any particular reason to pick the GH over the HR in HKG?
Then we wanted to do a beach resort. DaNang seems to be what we want - nice resort with a beach but looking at the weather in Dec/Jan, it's cool so might not be ideal. next we were thinking about Phuket Hyatt but there doesn't seem to be any DSU allowed there (my goal was one room paid and use a DSU for the parents and other room would be points guest of honor for my brother and I) and not convenient beach access. Bali would be my pick but they are sold out after Dec 28. Hua Hin can also be a option and just spend a few days in Bangkok and then rent a driver to take us to hua Hin (but I haven't read any reviews about that property).

Any thoughts? Any Hyatt property I'm overlooking for this trip?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Hong Kong Hyatts are all very solid even Sha tin out by the airport. I highly recommend any of them. The HKG GH is the seminal Asia flagship property with its legendary Grand club, service and spa. But, the location is somewhat isolated (you can take cheap cabs or the buses to Central, etc). TST puts you in the thick of things in Kowloon.

Too bad you can't fly into BKK and spend maximum time at the beach and in Thailand.
Erawan and Hua hin would be a great idea but Hua hin you need to get the Barai suite. Nothing else there compares. The flight isn't too bad either compared to Bali.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would pick beach in Thailand over loyalty program. That's an awfully long ways to go to sacrifice experience just for lounge access and a free breakfast. Depending on what you're looking for, there are many nice places to stay in Phuket, Samui, Krabi, etc. that are not Hyatt.

You might consider Siem Reap as well.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would pick beach in Thailand over loyalty program. That's an awfully long ways to go to sacrifice experience just for lounge access and a free breakfast. Depending on what you're looking for, there are many nice places to stay in Phuket, Samui, Krabi, etc. that are not Hyatt.

The PH there is fabulous and Mr. Smith is one of the most genuinely nice and probably tallest Hyatt GMs out there.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

We did Siem reap last year (ph there) and samui also last year (ic pts mistake) so Phuket or Thailand area seems like a option.
Maybe I can add a few days in the GH bkk as that was nice. Site-see the city a bit more before heading to a beach resort in Thailand....
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Watch out for the Asian hotels with mandatory special NYE dinners. Be sure to read the special conditions and other website information very carefully.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jason8612
I'm planning a family trip (4 of us) for the holidays to Asia and want to make use of my diamond status. We fly in and out of HKG and wanted to spend a few days in HKG to site-see. Which brings the first Q, from what I read the GH is very nice but the HR area gives a more local feeling. Any particular reason to pick the GH over the HR in HKG?
Then we wanted to do a beach resort. DaNang seems to be what we want - nice resort with a beach but looking at the weather in Dec/Jan, it's cool so might not be ideal. next we were thinking about Phuket Hyatt but there doesn't seem to be any DSU allowed there (my goal was one room paid and use a DSU for the parents and other room would be points guest of honor for my brother and I) and not convenient beach access. Bali would be my pick but they are sold out after Dec 28. Hua Hin can also be a option and just spend a few days in Bangkok and then rent a driver to take us to hua Hin (but I haven't read any reviews about that property).

Any thoughts? Any Hyatt property I'm overlooking for this trip?
I'd be careful on Bali - we love Bali but went around NYE one year and we had LOTS of rain, several days in a row of not really being able to be outside at all and Bali is such an outdoor place with not much to do indoors. Personally we are doing Phuket and Bangkok over Xmas before heading back to Hawaii for NYE, but we are not doing any Hyatt on this trip as in Phuket the SPG properties seemed a bit more desirable to me then the Hyatt, same in Bangkok.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Throwing out something different... Consider the HR Saipan. As a Category 2 it works out much cheaper on points than the other hotels mentioned, and probably the same sort of travel time to/from HKG. Weather was nice in January 2015...

P.S. There's no DSU at Phuket because there aren't any suites. (direct from hotel management when I was there) There are two bedroom places though.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Throwing out something different... Consider the HR Saipan. As a Category 2 it works out much cheaper on points than the other hotels mentioned, and probably the same sort of travel time to/from HKG. Weather was nice in January 2015...

P.S. There's no DSU at Phuket because there aren't any suites. (direct from hotel management when I was there) There are two bedroom places though.
Saipan is gorgeous! Way better than Guam that's near there and they will do Christmas as it's an American territory. Different but kind of limited compared to a BKK and Hua Hin or Phuket kind of trip
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Interesting with Saipan. Ill check it out
GH Bali seemed to open up on my dates and is quite affordable. I could do either KUL or SIN Before/after that. Ill check out Saipan.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GH Bali seemed to open up on my dates and is quite affordable. I could do either KUL or SIN Before/after that. Ill check out Saipan.
GH Kuala Lumpur is excellent. One of Asia's best.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
GH Kuala Lumpur is excellent. One of Asia's best.
SPN is too expensive. I was thinking of burning some BA Avios to get to KUL or SIN and then do Air Asia to DPS. For 4 people, I need to keep the costs down.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because its a rainy season in bali.
July - go to bali, december - thailand.

I am struggling with similar Christmas plans with family... now thinking southern china - xichuanbanna or somewhere around there and then hop to bangkok for ny fireworks
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azepine00
Because its a rainy season in bali.
July - go to bali, december - thailand.
Yup. January is the best time to visit Bangkok and the Andaman. (Although the Thais complain that Bangkok is "too cold" when it drops into the 80s )
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:43 pm

Here's another option for New Year's Eve: GH Taipei. The Cat 4 hotel is immediately across the street from Taipei 101, and there are parties for guests, providing unobstructed balcony view of the fireworks show. Spectacular last year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.