Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Car Damaged in Parking Lot of Hyatt Place

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.

My vehicle has a brand new good sized ding/dent/scratch on the passenger door.

It was not there last night when I parked the car- so it obviously happened overnight, by another car door opening into.

The typical sign is posted in the parking lot of the hotel "not liable for any damage, theft, etc. to your vehicle".

what is the best course of action- speak to the hotel GM? go directly thru GP customer service?

any advice?

thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:05 pm

I'm having a tough time imagining how the hotel would assume any liability for the actions of another guest (outside of the hotel's control, which this clearly was).

It's unfortunate, but not the hotel's responsibility, IMO.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where did it happen? USA or elsewhere, in particular?

I assume that the hotel doesn't offer valet parking and that the damage could not have been done by the hotel's shuttle van.

Does the hotel have security cameras in the parking lot? You could ask to see them or ask the GM to look carefully to see whether the culprit can be identified on tape.

Parking lot dings are a fact of life, especially if you live in a city or park in public lots where other people might not be very careful. However, if it's really a dent caused by another vehicle, then it becomes hit and run (and hitting a parked car) that should be reported to the police as well as your insurance company. The police might investigate any security camera evidence or they might not care beyond giving you a minimal report for your insurance company.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
the best course of action is to contact your insurance company if you want to get it repaired, pay the deductible, and possibly have your rates increased.

Unless it was valet parked, or damaged by a hotel employee, you have no recourse against the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musikdude
....what is the best course of action- speak to the hotel GM? go directly thru GP customer service?...
Sounds like OP is looking for GP points for the dent. I don't think it is likely.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

A few years ago, I had a rental car that someone hit pretty hard the right rear bumper in the paid self parking structure of the Hyatt at the Bellevue (Philadelphia). While I didn't expect either the garage or the hotel to take responsibility for it, the hotel acted like they would. So I. The end I complained and got my parking charges waived.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:17 am

Assuming it was a simple parking lot in front of the hotel, and not a secured valet or anything...you have to be kidding. Talk to your insurance company. It has ZERO to do with the hotel.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I assume that the hotel doesn't offer valet parking and that the damage could not have been done by the hotel's shuttle van.
If it did involve the shuttle van then OP would need to post diagrams.

For those of you who haven't seen this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.