Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

PH Tokyo 4 nights or GH Tokyo 2/PH Tokyo 2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

My brother and I are headed to Japan in October--it will be the first time there for either of us. We are landing at Narita on Monday and heading straight to Kyoto via train. Then on Thursday we are taking the train to Tokyo where we will stay until Monday, when we depart for SE Asia via Haneda airport.

In preparation for this trip and knowing hotels can be expensive in Tokyo, we both signed up for the Hyatt credit card and so have 4 free nights between the two of us. We are currently booked all 4 nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, but we are considering whether we should split it up and do 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo and 2 nights at the Park Hyatt. There's no availability Saturday at the Grand Hyatt, so it would have to be Thu/Fri night at the Grand Hyatt and Sat/Sun night at the Park Hyatt if we decided to try both hotels.

I am in my late 30s, and he is in his mid 40s, we are both single, and we both want to sample the Tokyo nightlife, though I imagine smoky bars will wear on both of us quickly. We'll spend our days seeing the sites or taking some tours.

Any thoughts on whether we should stick with all 4 days at the PHT or split it up 2 and 2 GHT/PHT?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I assume that you only have the Platinum status from the credit card?

If so, I would choose two nights at Grand Hyatt and two nights at the Andaz Tokyo. The Andaz is awesome, and sounds like a better fit for your lifestyle than the PHT.

As an added bonus, commuting between GH/Andaz is much easier than GH/PH.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. That's correct, we are both Platinum members from the credit card.

I had not previously considered (or even heard of) the Andaz. What about it and the GH makes it seem a better fit for us? And any particular reason you recommend doing 2 and 2 with them, or just diversity of experience?

I don't even know if the Andaz has availability for that Sat/Sun...would need to call Hyatt back.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bfwolf
Thanks for the reply. That's correct, we are both Platinum members from the credit card.

I had not previously considered (or even heard of) the Andaz. What about it and the GH makes it seem a better fit for us? And any particular reason you recommend doing 2 and 2 with them, or just diversity of experience?

I don't even know if the Andaz has availability for that Sat/Sun...would need to call Hyatt back.
GH probably has the best location for you, but the Andaz is only a 30 minute walk away, and has lots of trendy restaurants in the Toranomon Hills complex that it is a part of (completed just last year)

And the Andaz rooftop bar, IMO, eclipses the Park Hyatt New York Bar as the most must-see bar experience in Tokyo.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would stay at PH and Andaz. Two of Tokyo and Hyatt Asia's seminal properties. Everyone should do PH at least once in their lives. Both hotels are must sees in my opinion. New York Bar speaks for itself and Andaz' is the newest flavor of the month.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would stay at PH and Andaz. Two of Tokyo and Hyatt Asia's seminal properties. Everyone should do PH at least once in their lives. Both hotels are must sees in my opinion. New York Bar speaks for itself and Andaz' is the newest flavor of the month.
I agree with this, but the way I travel four nights is barely enough time to relax and enjoy one hotel. I would choose one hotel for the four nights and save the others for future trips.

While Andaz is my absolute favorite, I agree that everyone should stay at PHT at least once. If sharing a twin bedded room, a Park Deluxe Twin would be quite spacious.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree with this, but the way I travel four nights is barely enough time to relax and enjoy one hotel. I would choose one hotel for the four nights and save the others for future trips.

While Andaz is my absolute favorite, I agree that everyone should stay at PHT at least once. If sharing a twin bedded room, a Park Deluxe Twin would be quite spacious.
I'd say Andaz for all 4 nights. 4 days of the best Hyatt has to offer anywhere in the world. If you're not going to come back to Tokyo ever again then definitely split it up but don't do 1-1-2 or something like that. You want a home away from home in Tokyo.

The only good about GH is the proximity to Roppongi and the shenanigans if you just want to be within walking distance^

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 11, 2015 at 2:21 am Reason: Added more
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:50 am

I'd say Andaz for all 4 nights. 4 days of the best Hyatt has to offer anywhere in the world. If you're not going to come back to Tokyo ever again then definitely split it up but don't do 1-1-2 or something like that. You want a home away from home in Tokyo.

The only good about GH is the proximity to Roppongi and the shenanigans if you just want to be within walking distance^
Yes, on second thought just go for Andaz for the entire stay. It has taken the place of what PHT used to be IMO.

That cab ride from Andaz and PHT has never kept me away from Roppongi Sometimes that is fortunate and other times not...

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 11, 2015 at 3:56 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just talked with Hyatt and the Andaz is available all 4 nights.

I doubt we would just switch over to the Andaz entirely as we really want to see the PHT, but 2 and 2 could be an option. Would it make more sense to do Thu/Fri at the Andaz and Sat/Sun at the PHT or vice versa?

And what is it about the Andaz that you guys love so much that makes it better than the PHT? I guess I thought the PHT had legendary service, big rooms, and great location.

Also curious how much a cab ride is from PHT or Andaz to Roppongi.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Also, do you think the Andaz rooftop bar would be popular in October when temperatures are cooler? Looks like the average low temperature is around 60 degrees Farenheit/15 degrees Celsius.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:49 am

Yeah... the PH is a must see (at least once) if you're in this game. The GH, I stayed there 2 years ago and it was awesome, but I do hear that the Andaz is the current "must-see" Hyatt so.. You do mention that you are both single and want to experience the nightlife, so just purely basing off of that, I'd say the GH and the Andaz if you don't care to see the PH (or 4 nights at the Andaz). To be honest, if it were me I might even try to do all 3 just to say I've seen all 3 haha. But that is wasteful of your one time in Tokyo so...

You do seem pretty set on the PH, so my honest opinion is 2+2 at the PH and the Andaz.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, do you think the Andaz rooftop bar would be popular in October when temperatures are cooler? Looks like the average low temperature is around 60 degrees Farenheit/15 degrees Celsius.
it's still very nice and perfect long sleeve weather. Their bar isn't totally rooftop and exposed to the elements. Has enclosed spaces.

PHT still has an allure but it's a long way from former glory. Andaz just feels fresh, new and exciting. There's just an energy and feel there and you'll see when you stay. Nutella brioche French toast is one of the big pull factors for Andaz for me
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:12 am

The rooftop bar is fine even in the winter. There are heaters outside, and the bar counter area and other rooms can be fully closed in cold or rainy weather (rain can come in to the open air spaces).

Btw it has the best bartenders and cocktails in Town in my opinion.

October is not going to be cold.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHT still has an allure but it's a long way from former glory. Andaz just feels fresh, new and exciting. There's just an energy and feel there and you'll see when you stay. Nutella brioche French toast is one of the big pull factors for Andaz for me
Now you're being a bit unfair to the OP, who is only a Platinum.

Andaz Tokyo breakfast is great when I get it free as a Diamond, but even I would probably not pay ~4500 yen a person for it with so many other nearby options available.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:10 pm

The PH sits in a sterile area and is not well placed for Metro connection, nor any other good transport. The two others, in Toranamon and Roppongi, are alive and have great connections. Shinjuku and Roppongi both have some (lots of) sleaze but it is not difficult to avoid if that's not what you are looking for. And, being Japan, both are perfectly safe for gaijin tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.