Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalist Standard to Premium Suite Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club

As a Globalist, if I book a standard suite with cash, does Hyatt offer complimentary upgrades to a premium suite?
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:39 am

No. Please read the WOH terms and conditions. Google it.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:40 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Another one... Look here:

World of Hyatt - Globalist Experiences [Tier Suite Upgrades]
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:42 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by catchgops
As a Globalist, if I book a standard suite with cash, does Hyatt offer complimentary upgrades to a premium suite?
Not as a guaranteed benefit. If it were to happen, it would be completely at the hotel’s discretion. I will say, though, that I’ve gotten numerous upgrades to premium suites even when booking standard rooms, so it’s certainly a possibility. Standouts off the top of my head were PH Milano, PH Washington, and HR Churchill in London.

You could also book via Prive to get an automatic upgrade to a suite one step above what you booked, though with some restrictions - you’re likely not going to get upgraded into a Presidential suite just because you book the suite one step below it.
dpb132 and skywalkerLAX like this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hp12c
Not as a guaranteed benefit. If it were to happen, it would be completely at the hotel’s discretion. I will say, though, that I’ve gotten numerous upgrades to premium suites even when booking standard rooms, so it’s certainly a possibility. Standouts off the top of my head were PH Milano, PH Washington, and HR Churchill in London.

You could also book via Prive to get an automatic upgrade to a suite one step above what you booked, though with some restrictions - you’re likely not going to get upgraded into a Presidential suite just because you book the suite one step below it.
I really think setting these kinds of expectations is inappropriate. Yes, Hyatt DOES go above and beyond the basic WOH Terms for SOME Globalists. But not everyone - and it should NOT be expected.

There are tons of new "Glob lites" entering the system. These are people who are getting (or will get) Globalist status through FAR FAR less stays and FAR less spending than what is normally required. It's already noted (if you read closely) that some Globalists get much more "above and beyond" than others - and these are mostly the ones that actually spend real money with Hyatt. I don't know if this person is a Glob lite or not, but please consider not setting expectations above what is written in the WOH Terms of Service as this is ALL anyone should actually expect.
CIT85 and Radiation Station like this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the above and beyond treatment is much more likely when you're a returning guest at the property, ideally with nontrivial additional spend during your previous stays.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME the above and beyond treatment is much more likely when you're a returning guest at the property, ideally with nontrivial additional spend during your previous stays.
Yeah, that’s likely why I never get Premium Suites lol. At pretty much all the full service properties I go to (prior to the current Bonus Journeys Offer of free parking on paid stays) I use points. I’d have to use points because of the exorbitant parking charges ($30-$70). Otherwise I’d definitely pay the cash rates and likely get some above and beyond upgrades.

I’ve typically received the lowest level Suite, even when booking with Prive’.

So far the only exception has been PH Beaver Creek where we booked through Prive’, then applied a TSU, then had Globalist Concierge note it was our Anniversary Stay.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by catchgops
Not all the time but I've had pretty good luck getting premium suite upgrades on standard suite (cash) stays.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Dec 25, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Hello my fellow "Glob-Lite" - Apparently, as you've by now seen, the answer is no. I think a fair question, and just a question after all, if they're willing to bump you up the standard room ladder why not the premium one if you book in that grade... alas. Ignore the haters. I too am a glob-lite soon and while I can understand why they are pissed, usually I am the one screwed by end of year changes or updates so you just have to let them be them and mad... its a fair anger. Finally I (and you) get to be on the positive side of the changes. But their anger is misdirected. Alas

I still owe a few my reply on a recent similar post where I was accused of being greedy and entitled when I was merely asking, but wanted to wait til the waters had cooled, first.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
On my first stay as a Globalist and in that hotel, I asked a premium suite and I got it. That was on this summer and obviously not in US. What comes to Globalist-Lite, this is a temporary and until February 2023, so I do not think anybody should make a big issue about it. One could argue that Hyatt should lower the status requirements only to same level status holders and keep the achievement level same to others but as a business they need more members to get more revenue. Beside, as former SPG Platinum Lite for a few years I do understand the expectations to be upgrade, especailly when doing a family trips.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have been upgraded to a specialty suite but it's not expected. I do wish if I booked a standard suite we would be able to get upgraded to a specialty one somehow, either through upgrades if available or maybe a 100 night TSU of sorts.

Intellectually, it's hard for me to pay above the cheapest room when I know I can get potentially upgraded to a standard suite. But it's also hard for me to book a standard suite when I know I can't get upgraded above unless the property is going far out of their way.

If there was a decent chance of upgrade to specialty, I'd absolutely pay in advance for the standard one. Specialty ones are usually worth the extra money in my experience. But if we book a standard or specialty directly then we lose out on a major benefit of being Globalist.

Sometimes if I book regular and get upgraded to a non specialty suite, I'll ask if I can pay for a specialty. Some properties don't have a set system in place and they want me to pay the regular room to specialty difference which I won't do.

But some like st Regis langkawi (Marriott not Hyatt) had a set charge above regular Suite. That's worth it
​​
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by SHLTP

Intellectually, it's hard for me to pay above the cheapest room when I know I can get potentially upgraded to a standard suite. But it's also hard for me to book a standard suite when I know I can't get upgraded above unless the property is going far out of their way.

If there was a decent chance of upgrade to specialty, I'd absolutely pay in advance for the standard one. Specialty ones are usually worth the extra money in my experience. But if we book a standard or specialty directly then we lose out on a major benefit of being Globalist.

Sometimes if I book regular and get upgraded to a non specialty suite, I'll ask if I can pay for a specialty. Some properties don't have a set system in place and they want me to pay the regular room to specialty difference which I won't do.

But some (Marriott not Hyatt) had a set charge above regular Suite. That's worth it.
​​
This. All of this. In Vegas you often get upgraded free if you gamble some, and you can usually pay more to upgrade more, typically at numbers directly subtracted from your current upgrade. It does feel like "wasting" your benefits if you go ahead and pay to book a suite. On the flip, if it is IMPORTANT like you have friends to impress or family, better not risk it...
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
There are tons of new "Glob lites" entering the system. These are people who are getting (or will get) Globalist status through FAR FAR less stays and FAR less spending than what is normally required. It's already noted (if you read closely) that some Globalists get much more "above and beyond" than others - and these are mostly the ones that actually spend real money with Hyatt.
Can a hotel know whether a guest is Glob Lite or a regular Globalist? I have been in a suite for all my Hyatt 2020 nights except one, and that counts all stays where I did not use a TSU. I am not sure if it was due to low occupancy and I would have been upgraded even as Glob Lite anyway.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
Can a hotel know whether a guest is Glob Lite or a regular Globalist? I have been in a suite for all my Hyatt 2020 nights except one, and that counts all stays where I did not use a TSU. I am not sure if it was due to low occupancy and I would have been upgraded even as Glob Lite anyway.
Yes, a hotel can tell if you are a Glob Lite, how you obtained Globalist, your typical spend with Hyatt, if you’ve made complaints, and your “guest rating”.

Hyatt hotels have internal files at each property that show your individual rating, past stays with that individual property or chain wide and so on.

None of this alters your guaranteed benefits regardless of if you’re a 100 Night Globalist (like me) or a “Globalist Lite”. It usually only impacts soft touches like “above and beyond upgrades”, welcome amenities, pre-upgrades weeks or months in advance, granting of special requests and things like that.

PS - It always helps to stay often at a specific property as they will see you as a loyal guest to their property and Directors of Rooms do take notice. Some properties even have dedicated “VIP” teams for Globalists, Dignitaries and Celebrities visiting. Most have been furloughed due to COVID but are likely to be back late 2021or 2022.

Hope this information helps you.
escape4 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Hello my fellow "Glob-Lite" - Apparently, as you've by now seen, the answer is no. I think a fair question, and just a question after all, if they're willing to bump you up the standard room ladder why not the premium one if you book in that grade... alas. Ignore the haters. I too am a glob-lite soon and while I can understand why they are pissed, usually I am the one screwed by end of year changes or updates so you just have to let them be them and mad... its a fair anger. Finally I (and you) get to be on the positive side of the changes. But their anger is misdirected. Alas

I still owe a few my reply on a recent similar post where I was accused of being greedy and entitled when I was merely asking, but wanted to wait til the waters had cooled, first.
Well then don't be greedy and entitled. The issue I have is this seemingly insatiable desire to push the limits and find ways to get "extra" over and above what one is entitled to get. This kind of "what else can I get" and "me me me me" attitude brings about the relentless hounding of the poor staff at many properties. I've witnessed it both on here (certain people bragging about such techniques like how they reserve suites in advance without using TSU or, God forbid, paying) and in person. This kind of behavior isn't fair to those of us that play by the rules, put tens of thousands of dollars into Hyatt, etc. It's called real customer vs. grifter and I know Hyatt will eventually address this with spending minimums to retain Globalist status.

Just stick with the core WOH Terms (easy to find and read) and enjoy the gift you've received from Hyatt in the form of some very very nice perks and benefits. Hopefully this will make you a life long customer and inspire you to rack up 60 nights a year going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.