Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

DSU confirmed, but hotel doesn't have suite availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Has anyone ever made a reservation with a DSU, had it confirmed by the Hyatt rep and then gotten to the hotel and be told that there really wasn't suite availability and the agent shouldn't have been able to confirm the DSU?

This happened to me at the Hyatt Regency Montreal this past weekend. I had a 4 night reservation and the suite was only available for the last 2 nights. The FD was polite, and offered 2k points for my troubles. I can't say I was surprised that there were no suites available as there were 2 festivals occurring that week right outside the hotel, but I was surprised that the Hyatt rep was able to book phantom suite availability. I made sure to ask that my DSU not be taken and they give me the last 2 nights in the suite as a complimentary diamond upgrade.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I'm curious if properties are refusing DSU's when they feel that they can sell the suite instead of accepting the DSU cert.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by littlemookie
Has anyone ever made a reservation with a DSU, had it confirmed by the Hyatt rep and then gotten to the hotel and be told that there really wasn't suite availability and the agent shouldn't have been able to confirm the DSU?

This happened to me at the Hyatt Regency Montreal this past weekend. I had a 4 night reservation and the suite was only available for the last 2 nights. The FD was polite, and offered 2k points for my troubles. I can't say I was surprised that there were no suites available as there were 2 festivals occurring that week right outside the hotel, but I was surprised that the Hyatt rep was able to book phantom suite availability. I made sure to ask that my DSU not be taken and they give me the last 2 nights in the suite as a complimentary diamond upgrade.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I'm curious if properties are refusing DSU's when they feel that they can sell the suite instead of accepting the DSU cert.
When I have used use my DSU's, I always receive an updated confirmation of the suite upgrade, an hour or two after initially booking the reservation and then calling HGP. Why not check your e-mails, otherwise its your word against the hotel's?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:24 am
Original Poster

I have the email with the confirmation showing an executive suite. The hotel wasn't denying that the DSU was confirmed, they were claiming that the suite space shouldn't have been available for the agent to confirm into.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:39 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by littlemookie
I have the email with the confirmation showing an executive suite. The hotel wasn't denying that the DSU was confirmed, they were claiming that the suite space shouldn't have been available for the agent to confirm into.
I call nonsense.

Hyatt GP will be accessing real inventory. In fact, the property has to confirm the space for the DSU to confirm.

The real issue here is overbooking. They sold the suite to someone else.

Frankly, I would expect 12,000 points in compensation, the cost of a suite upgrade for two nights.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:42 am

That's why it's called CONFIRMED suite upgrade.
You should be able to plan your stay around this suite and sometimes ist not just for comfort but for an actual need.

The hotel should have warned you before at the very least. 2K points is one big joke, you should be expecting much more from them as you didn't get what was confirmed.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Yea, I know. I'm going to steer clear of the compensation issue for purposes of this thread.

The odd part of this situation was that I checked in maybe an hour after I made the reservation, which seems like a small window for them to sell the suite. If I had booked this a week before, then I would be furious if I had no notice from the hotel.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:00 am

It was maybe simply an inventory mistake but it's no excuse IMO. They only informed you at check-in.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm curious about this situation as well. While on the Diamond challenge this year, I waited anxiously for it to finish so that I could call in to use my DSU for a trip that was a month away. I kept hoping that the hotel would not sell out before then and I continuously saw that Exec Suites were still available for sell. This was over the course of a month of periodically checking.

Well the morning that I was to become Diamond, I put in a BRG for a lower rate at the hotel. It came back denied b/c the hotel was sold out. Sure enough I checked the website and there were no rooms. I even called the hotel to confirm. However, when I got my DSUs that evening, the Diamond line rep told me that she saw 1 Exec Suite available. I needed 2 and she worked with the hotel to get my booked in 2 Suites. I received the confirmation email. (Long story short but I had booked a suite to hold just in case they sold out. So they were able to cancel my 1 and reuse it.) But no idea where the second suite came from.

I won't know until next weekend if there were any issues with them. They still are sold out. My strong wish is that they are really overbooked and they automatically upgrade me to a bigger suite. (Doubtful I know but I can dream hehe.) If I get the same issue that you are having, then I will be pissed. I specifically need the suite due to family size and we would need a FREE 3rd room to cover not having the Suite.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I sometimes use DSU's for the purpose of meeting with clients. When that happens, my Hyatt concierge not only checks suite availability but, at my request, determines if the suite includes a space that works for a meeting.

If it suddenly became unavailable at checkin, I would demand that the property provide a small meeting room. The GM's office would work
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I had an inventory glitch result in no suite being available for me a few years back. Compensation included 20,000 points, free meals, and free airport transfer. They certainly made up for the glitch.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
Had the same happen at SF Union Square in June. No warning - just told no suites at check-in. Compensation offered was 15K points, but I contacted GP and ended up with 20K points, but little from the hotel in terms of apology (though corporate/GP was very sympathetic and apologetic.) Nonetheless, I no longer consider this hotel near the top of my list when in SF. Front desk handled the whole thing rather poorly.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by leisure warrior
Had the same happen at SF Union Square in June. No warning - just told no suites at check-in. Compensation offered was 15K points, but I contacted GP and ended up with 20K points, but little from the hotel in terms of apology (though corporate/GP was very sympathetic and apologetic.) Nonetheless, I no longer consider this hotel near the top of my list when in SF. Front desk handled the whole thing rather poorly.
I'm sad to say I nearly had the same thing happen at the HR SF -- only caught it because I called the day prior about a separate issue. And one of the more well known travel bloggers (sadly I can't recall which, and Google is failing me) did get denied a suite at check-in, as well.

So, uh...Fisherman's Wharf?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Happy to report that I spoke with the GM today and he apologized and added the points I asked for. I like several aspects of the hotel so I'll be back later this year but will be careful going forward when using a DSU.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If a DSU is confirmed but the hotel has no suite available at check in, has anyone tried asking to be walked to a nearby equivalent or better hotel which does have a suite available?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Once you confirm a DSU does the cert get marked as used in "My Awards" I booked and got a confirmation email on a confirmed suite upgrade however a week later my account is still showing 4 certificates available.

Im just concerned that it wasnt used properly and after Feb 29th All my certs will be gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.