Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mattress Run without physical check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:51 am
Original Poster

I'm exploring the possibility of doing a mattress run to get Hyatt Diamond and get to use the DSUs on an upcoming trip.

I've researched a lot and it looks like rooms are starting at $60/night at some hotels. Unfortunately none close to my area (SoCal).

However, none of the threads I read ever talked about a non-physical check in. (ex: phone call, or online, or no check in at all, ...)
Does no one have experience with that? Is there no way around the physical check in at the Hotel?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:07 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

As a rule, no.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find a cheap weekend rate in the LA/OC area.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You must always check-in physically.

Focus your effort on understanding the Best Rate Guarantee and you'll surely find that you can reduce the headline Hyatt rates substantially.

There are lots of Hyatts in Southern California. Simple to reach Diamond compared to others who live more than 500 miles from the nearest Hyatt.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by switchyj
I'm exploring the possibility of doing a mattress run to get Hyatt Diamond and get to use the DSUs on an upcoming trip.

I've researched a lot and it looks like rooms are starting at $60/night at some hotels. Unfortunately none close to my area (SoCal).

However, none of the threads I read ever talked about a non-physical check in. (ex: phone call, or online, or no check in at all, ...)
Does no one have experience with that? Is there no way around the physical check in at the Hotel?
That's weird, cause every single time this comes up in every single thread the answer is always the same: you must physically show up to the hotel to check in. It's not ambiguous.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:26 am

Dare I say, part of the reason for requiring physical check in must be precisely to stop you from doing what you want to do, i.e. get qualifying stays and nights for cheap without needing to show up.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You must always check-in physically.

Focus your effort on understanding the Best Rate Guarantee and you'll surely find that you can reduce the headline Hyatt rates substantially.

There are lots of Hyatts in Southern California. Simple to reach Diamond compared to others who live more than 500 miles from the nearest Hyatt.
problem is that you most likely wont find a rate < $100 even before taxes, with the tax its gonna be 115-120 if its close to $100. At those rates I wouldnt have gone for the Diamond myself as the $$ spent for 12 unneeded nights could have been used towards nicer roms when I actually needed the stay/s. @ $60 base rate to me it would be worth doing some runs even thou the rooms are needed.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by austin_modern
That's weird, cause every single time this comes up in every single thread the answer is always the same: you must physically show up to the hotel to check in. It's not ambiguous.
And literally RIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE is the "Hyatt Newbie Lounge" thread. Seriously.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:13 am

If you want to "mattress run" you have to jump through the hoops. Hyatt is not interested in making it easier to game the system and get status and points on the cheap.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If you want to "mattress run" you have to jump through the hoops.
or more accurately: walk/jump/skip through the front door.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

I guess I just have a hard time understanding why they require that.
I understand the reason behind making fast track harder, but isn't it free $ for the hotel?

any chance the policy would be different for international hotels?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I understand the reason behind making fast track harder, but isn't it free $ for the hotel?

No.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Jul 15, 2015 at 9:49 am Reason: removed bitter remark!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:08 am

If there was a way, someone would have already told you... instead everyones already asked and answered this topic many times (and on a 100 threads). There isnt a way. You need to mattress run somewhere close to your home or during your travels.

I, for one, like this policy. Save Diamond for those who moderately travel at hyatt properties. Its not like 25 stays and 50 nights is even that hard.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:19 am

So once again, you don't want to take the time to actually read any of the dozens of threads on this very forum that have discussed this. You did the same thing with the BRG thread. We are not here to school you on the ins and outs for the Hyatt Gold Passport program. The information is here for the taking. Unfortunately for us, you're not taking it.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These questions get asked all the time, same with airlines. If you don't stay/fly, you don't get credit. Otherwise, why not simply sell the status outright and be done with the silliness of making reservations.

That said, are you sure that you want to earn is really worth it?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:23 am

If you want to no show hotels will take your money, you just will not get any GP stay credit or points.

If they did not require guests to stay, ond could just book the cheapest properties in the world and get status/points without leaving home. Hyatt's objective is to entice people to give them real stays, not to facilitate easier "mattress running."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.