Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New York Hyatt - Family of Four - Using DSU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Hello!

I am looking at possibly travelling to New York with my wife and two kids (they will be 12 and 13 when we would be travelling) and I was curious on thoughts about which New York hotel to visit and what type of room might be best (and available to me)? A couple of things that might be helpful to know:

1. I have Diamond status.

2. I would likely be using Cash and Points and a Diamond Suite Upgrade (many of the confirmed suites seem to have a max of 3 people allowed).

3. We have been all over the world but somehow none of us have even been to New York before.

In general, does anyone know how strict is Hyatt about the maximum amount of people allowed per room or ways of dealing with this limitation when travelling with four people?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
In NYC, the rooms are pretty small, and the suites are not true suites. The last I was in, at the Grand Hyatt, the suite really is just an additional sitting area on the other side of a wall unit that acts as a partition. There is no separate bedroom.

There are real suites, but you need to get lucky and get an upgrade. Depending upon when you want to go is how lucky you will be. And you have to be lucky.

I wouldn't count on getting 4 people into the suite I was in - it had a king bed and a regular sofa. That means it only slept 3.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Andaz Wall Street has fairly large (for NYC) junior suites that are used for DSUs. IIRC there's a king bed and a wall partition with a sofa (sofa bed????) in the sitting room end, but it looked to me like there would be room for a rollaway bed (which probably carries an additional charge).

I'd think instead of a hotel that can confirm/guarantee two adjoining rooms. I wouldn't want kids of that age to be in a room not connected to parents in NYC.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
The only Hyatt hotel I have stayed at in NYC is the Hyatt Jersey City so my opinion may be limited, however we loved the hotel. We stayed in the Hudson River Suite overlooking NYC with 3x kids (ages 1,3,8 at the time). The room was approx. 800 sqft or so if I recall. It has a separate bedroom and large living room where the kids slept. It was no issue with the hotel to have 5 of us in the room or use the diamond breakfast for 5 people.
http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/en/hotel/rooms/suite.html
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:30 pm

the splash suite, which the dsu upgrades you to at the andaz 5th ave would fit the bill. one child could sleep on sofa and another on a rollaway. don't think a 4th person would be too big a deal.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:24 pm

If you want a larger suite I would recommend staying at the Hyatt Jersey City, their suites are pretty large, you have great views and you are right by the PATH.

Standard rooms at Union Square and the GH are TINY. I have had a suite at the GH which was a tiny sitting room with a couch and a connected double room. Not a pullout couch and no room for a rollaway.

Hyatt Times Square lower floor DSUs have larger suites and I think you can fit a rollaway in as well.

Andaz fifth ave will also give you a pretty decent suite. Hyatt Place works if yo u must, their larger suites are a good size.

Never been to the PH....maybe someday.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
The only Hyatt hotel I have stayed at in NYC is the Hyatt Jersey City so my opinion may be limited, however we loved the hotel. We stayed in the Hudson River Suite overlooking NYC with 3x kids (ages 1,3,8 at the time). The room was approx. 800 sqft or so if I recall. It has a separate bedroom and large living room where the kids slept. It was no issue with the hotel to have 5 of us in the room or use the diamond breakfast for 5 people.
http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/en/hotel/rooms/suite.html
I am usually down at the Conrad for most of the nights I spend in NYC and whenever I walk up the Hudson, I always notice that Hyatt and think, "I bet the views are really fantastic" and have been curious what its like.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:52 pm

+1 on DSU at Jersey City. Very nice room with plenty of space for many small children or a couple of large ones. Diamond breakfast in the restaurant features fantastic views and its one of few hotels in the NYC area where there is zero traffic noise.

The only downsides are: 1) cabs from NY are _expensive_ due to crossing the state line so it can be complicated to get to LGA or JFK; 2) PATH can be very infrequent during the weekends when construction is happening (which is frequently based on my last visit in April).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by kevneerg
the splash suite, which the dsu upgrades you to at the andaz 5th ave would fit the bill. one child could sleep on sofa and another on a rollaway. don't think a 4th person would be too big a deal.
Technically the Andaz 5Th Ave Splash suite does not accomadate rollaways and has a max occupancy of 2. Technically...

I've had a rollaway in there and a kid on a couch though

FDW
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the informative thoughts and opinions!

Now to make a decision......
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cubswin
Thanks for all of the informative thoughts and opinions!

Now to make a decision......
I hate to say this on a Hyatt board but for your size family, I would consider the DoubleTree Times Square. More space, small fridge; get two double beds for the kids and you take the sofa bed. The Hyatt Grand Central has some suites that might fit (we've used them in the past) but the DT has more space for the $.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist/ SPG Gold / American Platinum / Southwest A-List
Recently stayed at the Hyatt Times Square, used a DSU and advised the Hyatt representative that it was myself, my wife and my children (12 and 10 years old). The Hyatt representative called the property to confirm a Deluxe Suite and cleared the four persons in the room (I got the pullout sofabed and the boys slept with mommy).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Thanks for all the info thus far. We have never been to nyc either and are planning a summer visit with our kids 5 and 10. Would be a straight points reservation. Thinking between the Ada double at the PH or a splash suite at Andaz 5th ave. Jersey sounds a bit far? Any more thoughts on times square?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:30 am

If you are diamond the Park Hyatt ADA Double is great. Room service or restaurant breakfast, great pool & solid location. Jersey is a great property too, amazing views and the Path train is right outside and puts you in downtown Manhattan in a few minutes.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Went ahead and got the PH ADA double for 5 nights. Will try either the Andaz for the suite or NJ perhaps for the view as mentioned. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.