Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to The Royal Hotel in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

It is a Private transportation.
It will be charged to your room account
It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 26, 2018, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by slm9555
nice, how was your stay? Any comp upgrade?
We were there in November - going again this coming November. It will be our third trip and we would largely echo the positive comments above. We had used suite upgrades and were in a Grand Suite on the bridge. Halfway through our 8 night stay, Rodrigo from the club (a definite asset to the Hyatt) offered us an Executive King Suite. I think that if you're a Globalist and space is available, they take care of you.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:40 pm

nice, how was your stay? Any comp upgrade?
Stayed there three times - each time complimentary globalist upgrade to Grand Suite on the bridge. Gorgeous rooms. Doesn't get any nicer. If they have room, they will take excellent care of you. Such a great resort... Seconds on Rodrigo - he's fantastic (and leaving soon I believe - promoted to Lake Tahoe...)
Old May 29, 2018, 8:26 pm

How do you feel about renting a car and driving around this area? I have a wedding to go to that's about 30 miles north. Good or bad idea?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:35 am

How do you feel about renting a car and driving around this area? I have a wedding to go to that's about 30 miles north. Good or bad idea?
others might disagree but I wouldnt reccomend... too many ways to have issues.

Official taxis, and the various transit services (USA transfers, etc) work fine.. dont try Uber.

if you do rent be sure to read up on the scams and insurance issues that come up with car rentals and driving in MX.. TripAdvisor boards are your friend.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Worth price comparing to other options, or just staying somewhere closer to the wedding if that's an option (if you want Hyatt, the Andaz is something like 30 miles north of this hotel, would that work?). But driving is also a realistic option and tons of Americans rent cars in Mexican beach towns every day. Definitely rent from one of the major US firms, and probably get accustomed to the idea of paying for more insurances than you might opt for in the US. And use common sense, like not parking the car in sketchy areas or leaving it unlocked. But I doubt you'd have any issues.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
We did a little research on a similar trip. We're doing four nights in Cancun (Westin promotion) and then a week at the GH. USA transfers will take us for $60 (US) total.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Worth price comparing to other options, or just staying somewhere closer to the wedding if that's an option (if you want Hyatt, the Andaz is something like 30 miles north of this hotel, would that work?). But driving is also a realistic option and tons of Americans rent cars in Mexican beach towns every day. Definitely rent from one of the major US firms, and probably get accustomed to the idea of paying for more insurances than you might opt for in the US. And use common sense, like not parking the car in sketchy areas or leaving it unlocked. But I doubt you'd have any issues.
Actually I've heard that you should NOT book the US rental car firms in Mexico as they are franchises simply buying use of the names - lots of issues reported with them. Check TripAdvisor for recommended agencies....
Old May 30, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
The Andaz is NOT 30 miles north of Playa - it's more like 6 miles (see Google maps to verify) north. If the wedding is that far north, I would strongly recommend staying in Cancun which would be far far more convenient. While all inclusive, the Ziva is a GREAT hotel. There are tons of other options as well... if not going all inclusive, the Ritz Carlton is also known to be amazing.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
The Andaz is NOT 30 miles north of Playa - it's more like 6 miles (see Google maps to verify) north. If the wedding is that far north, I would strongly recommend staying in Cancun which would be far far more convenient. While all inclusive, the Ziva is a GREAT hotel. There are tons of other options as well... if not going all inclusive, the Ritz Carlton is also known to be amazing.
the wedding is at the grand residences riviera Cancun, which is not super close to any of the Hyatt offerings. I was specifically interested in the grand Hyatt playa because its pretty new, good location, but also the rate for my dates on AAA is only about $200 a night and includes some great perks like free breakfast, parking, 20% off food/drinks. This is much cheaper than the other Hyatt options.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Quick question. So the executive king suite. Is it possible to have it connect to a room with 2 queens? ( I know that a connecting room was possible with a Grand Suite). Where are the executive suites located? Near the elevators at both ends of the long row of rooms? Thanks!!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:06 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by kishna
Quick question. So the executive king suite. Is it possible to have it connect to a room with 2 queens? ( I know that a connecting room was possible with a Grand Suite). Where are the executive suites located? Near the elevators at both ends of the long row of rooms? Thanks!!
I don't recall if the suites had connecting doors.
for sure, all the suites are ocean front. if that helps. so on the bridge and the 2 towers (north and south).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I don't recall if the suites had connecting doors.
for sure, all the suites are ocean front. if that helps. so on the bridge and the 2 towers (north and south).
Thanks for the response. I had been in a Grand suite that's kind of in the middle of the bridge. Are the executive suites interspersed between the grand suites or are the executive suites only at the 2 towers?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:49 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by kishna
Thanks for the response. I had been in a Grand suite that's kind of in the middle of the bridge. Are the executive suites interspersed between the grand suites or are the executive suites only at the 2 towers?
yes the exec suits are only in the 2 towers.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:44 am

Full board? I see there is an option with full board (perhaps the Grand Delight rate) via the Chase Travel Portal.

How is the food at the restaurants? Is there enough variety to eat all meals at the hotel?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by whistler814
Full board? I see there is an option with full board (perhaps the Grand Delight rate) via the Chase Travel Portal.

How is the food at the restaurants? Is there enough variety to eat all meals at the hotel?
Food is always subjective BUT after 3 stays here in the past 18 months I can say this hotel has some of the best food and beverage I've ever had at ANY resort (and I've been to MANY). Everything I've ever eaten here has been fresh and delicious, especially the Mexican food (amazing fresh guacamole, etc.) The steakhouse is also good, even by Texas standards. Service is also almost uniformly excellent.

However, I would NOT recommend the Grand Delight and here's why: the food is reasonably priced and far less expensive than you would pay at a comparable resort in the USA - maybe less than half of Hawaii! Unless you a very very big eater, then I think the value of this plan is probably quite negligible - you are better off simply paying a la carte. If you have club access, you will also find a very very nice Grand Club (with lots of high quality free food, and free drinks at night).

Also, Playa Del Carmen is full of attractive dining venues and if you like to explore AT ALL, you will miss out if trying to take full advantage of the plan. Note that this is an urban resort (think Waikiki without high rises) and the "main drag" in Playa is only a couple of blocks from the Grand Hyatt: it's FULL of shops, dining, entertainment, etc. So, IF you want to simply chill on a remote beach I don't recommend this hotel, and would advise you to check out the Andaz at similar prices, or the Ziva in Cancun... both of which are also excellent properties with a more laid back vibe, and much nicer beaches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.