Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 1, 16, 1:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Dcislander
Wiki Link
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 5 - 20,000 points per night
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to The Royal Hotel in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness


Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

It is a Private transportation.
It will be charged to your room account
It provides luxury service


Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 20, 12:25 pm
  #361  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
I find that's pretty common (an inflated price assigned to the included breakfast - at properties that don't offer a buffer the included breakfast often isn't even offered on the menu - e.g. an "American Breakfast" for $30 while the menu only has a la carte items for $10 or less).

How was the breakfast at La Cocina? I've been looking at a stay here but I'm undecided between a WFH rate (no breakfast included but $50 resort credit each day) or a Prive 3rd night free booking (breakfast included).
I stayed in August and the breakfast was fine. Enough options and pretty good quality. Buffet with made to order eggs. Certainly had better and much worse. If the lounge is open again that's a plus. The club might be the best in North America IMO.
Dsnow0819 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 20, 5:21 pm
  #362  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819 View Post
I stayed in August and the breakfast was fine. Enough options and pretty good quality. Buffet with made to order eggs. Certainly had better and much worse. If the lounge is open again that's a plus. The club might be the best in North America IMO.
Yes, still the same breakfast offered. Cooked to order eggs and Mexican options were chilaquiles everyday, different meat (chicken, beef, pork, chorizo), beans, pancakes. Also, pastries like croissants, muffins etc. Fresh fruit including melon, papaya, passion fruit and watermelon.
Cara332 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 9:00 am
  #363  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Posts: 201
Currently at the GH on the WFHYAT rate. My spouse and I will be working here for the next week.
  • Resort seems to be decently busy. Obviously not full capacity, but it's not empty either.
  • La Cocina serves a buffet breakfast with a decent spread (As in, you point at what you want). Some restaurants are closed but you can (apparently) pick what you want from the other restaurants and you can at La Cocina.
  • Playa Del Carmen is still quite busy. Some restaurants were absolutely packed but you shouldn't have an issue finding a place that is decently empty. Note that we went out on the weekend so I'm not sure if most of the crowd is local/Mexican and it may get less busy over the weekday.
  • Working space in the room is quite poor with a low-ish table. We're now working in the Grand Club space instead. Nobody else here but that may change as the week goes on. It's not a bad space to work on (great view!) but it's not a huge space and it obviously wasn't designed for being an office in mind. (e.g. not a lot of power plugs, and they're fairly far from the tables)
  • Discussed with the front desk about having a private space for online meetings and they said they would e-mail me back.
Martellus is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 9:11 am
  #364  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,117
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
  • Working space in the room is quite poor with a low-ish table. We're now working in the Grand Club space instead. Nobody else here but that may change as the week goes on. It's not a bad space to work on (great view!) but it's not a huge space and it obviously wasn't designed for being an office in mind. (e.g. not a lot of power plugs, and they're fairly far from the tables)
Thanks for the report.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the in room and Grand Club work spaces?

It seems like the Thompson Playa del Carmen is the only property in the area that's offering the full WFH package (i.e. a truly separate work space - a separate guest room - with a dedicated office desk and chair).

For places that are set up to host conferences (like the Andaz and, I assume, the Grand Hyatt) it seems odd that they can't at least provide a proper desk/chair setup in a guest room (even if they don't want to make good on the "separate private workspace" part).
coleslaw is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 9:51 am
  #365  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Thanks for the report.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the in room and Grand Club work spaces?

It seems like the Thompson Playa del Carmen is the only property in the area that's offering the full WFH package (i.e. a truly separate work space - a separate guest room - with a dedicated office desk and chair).

For places that are set up to host conferences (like the Andaz and, I assume, the Grand Hyatt) it seems odd that they can't at least provide a proper desk/chair setup in a guest room (even if they don't want to make good on the "separate private workspace" part).
#333 has pictures of the room - we were upgraded to a King Suite (Globalist) and you can see the small dining-ish table there. I believe the regular rooms have the same table as well. It's a bit too short to be function as a good enough desk, though.

I've attached a picture of the Grand Club below - there's two small tables behind the picture plus another couch and that's effectively the extent of the working area.

It certainly doesn't seem like they're actually expecting many/any guests who are seriously considering doing work from the hotel, though, and it doesn't seem like they had a lot of processes in place (i had to ask for an extension power cord for my laptop since the outlets were so far away, for example.)

Martellus is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:04 am
  #366  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,117
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
#333 has pictures of the room - we were upgraded to a King Suite (Globalist) and you can see the small dining-ish table there. I believe the regular rooms have the same table as well. It's a bit too short to be function as a good enough desk, though.

It certainly doesn't seem like they're actually expecting many/any guests who are seriously considering doing work from the hotel, though, and it doesn't seem like they had a lot of processes in place (i had to ask for an extension power cord for my laptop since the outlets were so far away, for example.)
Thanks.

The dining-ish table certainly doesn't look like a comfortable place to work from. Not being able to put your legs under the table/desk is a bit of a deal breaker if you're doing any more than a few minutes of computer work. The Grand Club setup does look better, but still not a proper desk setup. And also doesn't look like an ideal place to leave a laptop/monitor/keyboard/mouse setup unattended during the day.

As a Globalist are you given any Grand Club replacement benefits (assuming the property is doing some kind of alternative snacks/drinks setup on top of the breakfast that you'd get from WFH or being Globalist).
coleslaw is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:34 am
  #367  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Thanks.

The dining-ish table certainly doesn't look like a comfortable place to work from. Not being able to put your legs under the table/desk is a bit of a deal breaker if you're doing any more than a few minutes of computer work. The Grand Club setup does look better, but still not a proper desk setup. And also doesn't look like an ideal place to leave a laptop/monitor/keyboard/mouse setup unattended during the day.

As a Globalist are you given any Grand Club replacement benefits (assuming the property is doing some kind of alternative snacks/drinks setup on top of the breakfast that you'd get from WFH or being Globalist).
The same happy hour that they mentioned above - seems to be some light snacks and drinks from 6-8 in La Cocina. We haven't been there yet though so I don't know the quality, however.
Martellus is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 2:47 pm
  #368  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,117
Does anyone happen to have a screenshot (or a copy) of the WFH rate rules that referenced the $50 daily credit?

It appears that the rate rules have been changed and the property doesn't recognise that what is now in place (for current/future reservations) isn't the same as what was quoted for reservations made a few weeks ago.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Dec 1, 20, 4:48 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,392
I am staying near the GH and was at the Kool beach club today. Walked south to the GH. As a FTer, I thought it would be responsible to report, as others have reported, basically no beach exists in front of the GH. Looks as if there is some temporary deck being built over the non-existent beach.

(OT - it is a shame that PDC has been allowed to be developed without keeping beach erosion in mind. I know there are many factors causing beach erosion, but the beach in front of the GH is not the only beach that has mostly disappeared.)

(OT - I had been a regular visitor to PDC for many years, have not been here since 2017, I've always stayed north of Calle 20 N so as to avoid the cruise ship crowds that normally do not walk that far north. Not only has there been massive development along 5th Av (Starbucks and 7-11 are ubiquitous now), I was shocked to see so many people walking along this end of 5th Av both Saturday and last night. Fortunately my favorite two restaurants not only still existed, but were only about 50% capacity, required masks, temperature check, and squirt of hand sanitizer to enter.)
lamphs is offline  
Old Dec 1, 20, 4:55 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,117
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
I am staying near the GH and was at the Kool beach club today. Walked south to the GH. As a FTer, I thought it would be responsible to report, as others have reported, basically no beach exists in front of the GH. Looks as if there is some temporary deck being built over the non-existent beach. [

(OT - it is a shame that PDC has been allowed to be developed without keeping beach erosion in mind. I know there are many factors causing beach erosion, but the beach in front of the GH is not the only beach that has mostly disappeared.)
Ive had a recent stay at the GH. The beach was actually severely eroded by the hurricanes that were in the region in early / mid November. There was a week or so where there was literally no beach outside the GH. Youll see now that there is a beach, albeit a narrower strip than there was in the past. The good thing about the GH is that the pool area is so close to the ocean that its nearly nicer than being on the beach. Having so many different seating options (many in the shallower pools so youre laying very slightly above the water) helps as well. Theres still the option to take the steps down to the beach but i preferred to stick to the pools.

(OT - I had been a regular visitor to PDC for many years, have not been here since 2017, I've always stayed north of Calle 20 N so as to avoid the cruise ship crowds that normally do not walk that far north. Not only has there been massive development along 5th Av (Starbucks and 7-11 are ubiquitous now), I was shocked to see so many people walking along this end of 5th Av both Saturday and last night. Fortunately my favorite two restaurants not only still existed, but were only about 50% capacity, required masks, temperature check, and squirt of hand sanitizer to enter.)
PDC is busy. But nowhere near as busy now as it usually was pre COVID. I quite like it with the reduced crowds. 5th Ave is a mess at the best of times and I always try to avoid it.

the 50% capacity, hand sanitizer and temperature check is mandated at all restaurants so hopefully your two favorite restaurants werent the only places you went to with these practices . Care to share your restaurant recommendations?
coleslaw is offline  
Old Dec 2, 20, 7:04 am
  #371  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,392
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
I’ve had a recent stay at the GH. The beach was actually severely eroded by the hurricanes that were in the region in early / mid November. There was a week or so where there was literally no beach outside the GH. You’ll see now that there is a beach, albeit a narrower strip than there was in the past. The good thing about the GH is that the pool area is so close to the ocean that it’s nearly nicer than being on the beach. Having so many different seating options (many in the shallower pools so you’re laying very slightly above the water) helps as well. There’s still the option to take the steps down to the beach but i preferred to stick to the pools.



PDC is busy. But nowhere near as busy now as it usually was pre COVID. I quite like it with the reduced crowds. 5th Ave is a mess at the best of times and I always try to avoid it.

the 50% capacity, hand sanitizer and temperature check is mandated at all restaurants so hopefully your two favorite restaurants werent the only places you went to with these practices . Care to share your restaurant recommendations?
A few pics of the beach in front of GH around 0730, today, are below. If I were to have booked this property, via its pictures on its website, and arrived to find this, the GF would be irritated to state the least. I'm with you...a nice pool atmosphere is great for me. Hopefully there will be a beach restoration project along the PDC coast.

Piola is great - fresh salads and a huge choice of woodfired thin crust pizzas. For a couple, splitting a salad and a large pizza is enough for a meal. I understand that its wine selection is good, but I am not a wine enthusiast. Better for nice weather. While it is an open air venue, many of the tables are more outside than others, makes it a bit difficult to socially distance in the rain. La Cueva del Chan has fresh cooked authentic food in a 'jungle' atmosphere; open kitchen. Recommend it for both breakfast (headed there in a few) and dinner. Both are on at 5th & 38th. Both very walkable from this end of town. Both take Visa and MC.




Last edited by lamphs; Dec 2, 20 at 7:06 am Reason: typo
lamphs is offline  
Old Dec 2, 20, 8:48 am
  #372  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,117
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
A few pics of the beach in front of GH around 0730, today, are below. If I were to have booked this property, via its pictures on its website, and arrived to find this, the GF would be irritated to state the least. I'm with you...a nice pool atmosphere is great for me. Hopefully there will be a beach restoration project along the PDC coast.
Ha, yes, agreed. The pictures on the website are definitely not reflective of the current state. I would note that the beach at 7:30 is at its worst - it gets better during the day when the tide is out (and the sand dries up - those pools of seawater go away).

I was actually on the beach outside the GH this morning too! From 7-8. I probably saw you while you were there
coleslaw is offline  
Old Dec 2, 20, 5:06 pm
  #373  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston,Texas,USA
Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 893
The many times Ive been to GHPDC the beach and water in front of the hotel was full of seaweed with laborers raking it up all day. So no real loss as far as Im concerned
martinplas is offline  
Old Dec 2, 20, 5:14 pm
  #374  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,117
Originally Posted by martinplas View Post
The many times Ive been to GHPDC the beach and water in front of the hotel was full of seaweed with laborers raking it up all day. So no real loss as far as Im concerned
The seaweed hasnt been much of an issue lately.

I do think the beach around the Playacar area is much nicer and not all that far (although it doesnt have the same kind of services you get at the GH or the day clubs around the main beach area.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Dec 2, 20, 5:20 pm
  #375  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston,Texas,USA
Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 893
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
The seaweed hasnt been much of an issue lately.

I do think the beach around the Playacar area is much nicer and not all that far (although it doesnt have the same kind of services you get at the GH or the day clubs around the main beach area.
The day club drove me away and Ive been going to the Andaz. Seaweed was bad there too. I do love the the GH architecture, club , spa and location to PDC.
If you can ever get one of the Exec suites on the corner Im sure you will enjoy
martinplas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread