Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to “The Royal Hotel” in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

· It is a Private transportation.
· It will be charged to your room account
· It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gumercindo
That is great info. Thanks!

We are torn...Hyatt Ziva Cancun or PDC GH. We'll have a 3 YO in tow. I see it like this -

1) Ziva: 20-25 min drive to airport, all inclusive, nice grounds
2) GH: 45-50 min drive to airport, pay for food, very nice grounds, explore quinta avenida

Like I mentioned earlier, we're being offered club access at GH for $50/day and that might (mostly) offset the all inclusive nature of the Ziva. I was mostly intrigued by the Quinta Avenida strolling - close to hotel, etc. Is this a big plus for GH as an alternative to eating a meal on prem?
For anyone else looking at this decision, I'd add option
#3 ) Andaz Mayakoba. Just north of PDC, beautiful grounds, new hotel set in a wildlife preserve area. If you want private/sun/sand/quiet/relaxing, I think it's the best Hyatt option in the area. Rates are definitely higher than GH, but you can frequently get good deals if you watch rates throughout the year. I ended up booking a Prive rate (free breakfast, $100 credit) for $200 + taxes/fees for early December which is comparable to GH. The rooms are very good sized and beautiful, the suites all have jacuzzi, it really is a fantastic property.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Hi all.
What company do you all use for transfers?
Any recommendations for dinner?
Activities? Last time we went to Xceret but feel we'd like to do more. Maybe go to cozumel or do a tour.
Also is the lounge reopened.
TiA
Carolyn
This is discussed above, but I (and others) recommend USA Transfers.

USA Transfers OFFICIAL | Tours and Airport Transfers in Cancun & Riviera Maya

Both restaurants on the property are good - the steak house is higher end.

We love La Brocherie (I don't think they have a website). We try and go at least twice every trip. $5 - $10 per person. Owner Fabian is super nice. Speaks French, Spanish and English. Wonderful French desserts. about a 15-20 minute walk from the GH.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Peninsula.html

I recently came across this interview with Fabian. It doesn't have a date on it (that I could find), but I'm guessing it's a couple of years old as his daughter is no longer a baby. However, it shows the delicious chicken and desserts.

https://everythingplayadelcarmen.com...-lover-fabian/

Last edited by ILuvParis; Nov 1, 2019 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Hi all.
What company do you all use for transfers?
Canada Transfers or USA Transfers. Both are reliable and reasonably priced.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:46 pm

Transfers & lounge help

Thanks for the info.
Quite helpful

Last edited by cmjaffe; Nov 1, 2019 at 6:48 pm Reason: Double post submitted prior
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have a couple questions we are considering GH PDC as a getaway for a 3 day trip.

Flying into Cozumel and taking the ferry ~$16-$20 US - Thoughts on this rather than flying into Cancun and doing the hour long Taxi for $60 US.

Pricing -

For a 3 day stay the “taxes and fees” are about $212 which seems absurd as the nightly rate is $182. About how much of these get waived/taken off for Globalists?

Thoughts on things to do/see/eat for couples in the area?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I have a couple questions we are considering GH PDC as a getaway for a 3 day trip.

Flying into Cozumel and taking the ferry ~$16-$20 US - Thoughts on this rather than flying into Cancun and doing the hour long Taxi for $60 US.

Pricing -

For a 3 day stay the “taxes and fees” are about $212 which seems absurd as the nightly rate is $182. About how much of these get waived/taken off for Globalists?

Thoughts on things to do/see/eat for couples in the area?
The restaurants onsite are good, the steakhouse for a more expensive evening. There are also good options on 5th Ave. And a must is La Brocherie, about a 15 minute walk. Fabian (the owner/waiter) is great - pleasant, friendly, helpful - speaks English, French and Spanish (at a minimum). The prices are ridiculous(ly inexpensive). They don't have a website, but you can Google it. Great food and great desserts. They get great reviews on all sites.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The restaurants onsite are good, the steakhouse for a more expensive evening. There are also good options on 5th Ave. And a must is La Brocherie, about a 15 minute walk. Fabian (the owner/waiter) is great - pleasant, friendly, helpful - speaks English, French and Spanish (at a minimum). The prices are ridiculous(ly inexpensive). They don't have a website, but you can Google it. Great food and great desserts. They get great reviews on all sites.
For food we were definitely looking at La Brocherie! Based on reviews here and all over. Also checking out Fogon and Don Chendo.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I just booked for July and can't wait for the trip. I booked two rooms. I'm a Globalist and used a Suite upgrade into a Grand Suite King and booked an adjoining connecting room with 2 queen beds for my kids. Can't wait to check this property out.
Old May 31, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by saint
I just booked for July and can't wait for the trip. I booked two rooms. I'm a Globalist and used a Suite upgrade into a Grand Suite King and booked an adjoining connecting room with 2 queen beds for my kids. Can't wait to check this property out.
It's one of my favorites. What's the Covid situation there now? I just canceled a Merida trip because it looks like the pandemic is still on the rise there.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by katstarr
It's one of my favorites. What's the Covid situation there now? I just canceled a Merida trip because it looks like the pandemic is still on the rise there.
Originally slated to reopen in June now pushed back to July. I wouldn’t hold my breath for July, either.
katstarr and TSTraveler like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I booked for mid-July. I'd think they would open on July 1 as planned. Several hotels in Cancun and the area have opened up. Some say it's only 30% maximum capacity. I'm not sure what the maximum capacity here is but I'll post a review after my stay. I booked a Suite with connecting room for the kids.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by saint
I booked for mid-July. I'd think they would open on July 1 as planned. Several hotels in Cancun and the area have opened up. Some say it's only 30% maximum capacity. I'm not sure what the maximum capacity here is but I'll post a review after my stay. I booked a Suite with connecting room for the kids.
It's such a wonderful hotel and I also hope they reopen and do so successfully. We were scheduled to go in July as well but have decided to wait until the U.S. State Department lifts its Level 4 "DO NOT TRAVEL" guidance. The bottom line is Americans aren't supposed to be leaving the U.S. for leisure travel and I don't want to risk my Global Entry by defying the State Department.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
It's such a wonderful hotel and I also hope they reopen and do so successfully. We were scheduled to go in July as well but have decided to wait until the U.S. State Department lifts its Level 4 "DO NOT TRAVEL" guidance. The bottom line is Americans aren't supposed to be leaving the U.S. for leisure travel and I don't want to risk my Global Entry by defying the State Department.
State Department shows Mexico as Level 2 advisory. Guess it's game on!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by araknis
State Department shows Mexico as Level 2 advisory. Guess it's game on!
Ummm no. Still 4.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Ummmm no, it’s still level 2 for Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.