Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to “The Royal Hotel” in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

· It is a Private transportation.
· It will be charged to your room account
· It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thank you very much. I think I'll pass on paying for the plunge pool. I would love an executive, but I suspect the upcharge on that one is equal to what I"m paying for the room

Should I check in at the club?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Thank you very much. I think I'll pass on paying for the plunge pool. I would love an executive, but I suspect the upcharge on that one is equal to what I"m paying for the room

Can't answer that question as we weren't muckety mucks in February when we were there, In case I forget to tell you, the steak restaurant is very good. Also, don't forget to check out La Brocherie and go early in the trip because you'll want to go back. About a 15 min. walk from the hotel. Cash only, IIRC, but the two of you can eat for around $10.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:15 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Smile

If I recall correctly, I had to state my name at the resort entrance, before the barrier was lifted. I was then greeted directly at the car at the lobby and immediately accompanied to the Club for check-in. So it appears, they immediately check the arrival list and names and know if you're Diamond or not.
Great service

And to answer the question more appropirately: yes, check-in in the club. You're offered drinks right away, while paperwork is being finalized. Superb service.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Can't answer that question as we weren't muckety mucks in February when we were there, In case I forget to tell you, the steak restaurant is very good. Also, don't forget to check out La Brocherie and go early in the trip because you'll want to go back. About a 15 min. walk from the hotel. Cash only, IIRC, but the two of you can eat for around $10.
Sounds good. Thanks

Originally Posted by 59Impala
If I recall correctly, I had to state my name at the resort entrance, before the barrier was lifted. I was then greeted directly at the car at the lobby and immediately accompanied to the Club for check-in. So it appears, they immediately check the arrival list and names and know if you're Diamond or not.
Great service

And to answer the question more appropirately: yes, check-in in the club. You're offered drinks right away, while paperwork is being finalized. Superb service.
Thank you!!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Great service

FWIW, we were each given a glass of sparkling wine even though we checked in at the front desk.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond

Yes once inside take the first bank of elevators and head up to the club where they do Diamond Check in.Someone is in attendance all day. You have a PM
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:23 am

Great. Thank you.

Does anyone know if there is a guest laundry at this property? I normally take half of what I need and wash clothes once while there. I hate the thought of bringing enough for a week.

As well, we generally travel very casually - in other words, we live in flip flops, shorts & tee shirts. I'm assuming the restaurants on the property and nearby are not nearly as casual and have packed some neater things. But I would love to leave them home if I could
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:17 pm

Hi, Everyone.
After reading through the threads, I'm even more excited to spend Christmas at the Hyatt in Playa del Carmen with our family of 8 (Hubby, 5 adult kids ages 25 to 30, 1 kid's SO and me). I'm Diamond. Hubby and kids are Platinum. We have 3 rooms before Christmas, 2 rooms on Christmas Eve and Christmas night.

I will have Club access for 4 people w my Diamond status. Diamond Gold Passport rep told me the discounted price for access for the other 4 is $180/day ($90/couple/day). Is it worth paying?

We plan to eat in the neighborhood as much as possible. La Vagabunda looks like a good breakfast spot. Other recommendations? Farther back in the thread someone mentioned La Brocherie.

Also, any recommendations for Christmas dinner? I'm trying to book La Cocina in the hotel so we have something. We'd like a special meal for the holiday.

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:51 am

Anyone have a map of the the property, possibly with room numbers, they can share?

Me and my wife are spending a couple nights here in January with free nights. What are the chances of getting an upgrade to something with an ocean view? We have mentioned we are celebrating our anniversary and have Platinum status. Thank you for any tips.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:56 pm

We just came back last night from 5 nights with our 5 adult kids. The property is lovely and the service was fantastic too.

To answer your question though... I wouldn't count on getting an ocean view room. I'm Diamond. My husband and adult kids are Platinum. We had 3 resort view rooms, but it was Christmas. There are actually very few ocean view rooms. The property is sort of U-shaped with two very long (two blocks long) buildings along the side. The ocean end has rooms at the end of the buildings and one floor (the 5th floor) that bridges the two buildings. Otherwise it is open-ended to the ocean. All the rooms in the two main buildings are entered from the outside wall (open corridors that look out over the adjacent condo buildings) and have balconies looking out over the lobby

If you can see this photo... it is from the Club which is on the 4th floor toward the street side of the building. You can see one of the long buildings of rooms on the right. The lobby, bar and coffee shop are covered, but open air. Most rooms have a view of the greenery you see. The "Swim up" rooms have tiny triangular pools off of their balconies on the first floor that are all connected.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:05 pm

There are many rooms that have what Hyatt calls "ocean view," but they are not "ocean front." The ocean view rooms are somewhat obstructed by the 5th floor bridge, however.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Smile Wonderful Valentine's stay

We just spent 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt Playa and had a great stay. We stay at lots of high end Hyatts and while this is not one of the best, for the money paid and the location we were very happy.

We checked in in the 4th floor lounge on a Sunday at 4pm. Viviana checked us in with sparkling wine. When looking for a room, she said the one she targeted was not yet ready and invited us to have a complimentary lunch in the Cocina restaurant. We had a great lunch and when we returned a little after 5 Viviana gave us a terrific suite (we used a DSU) room 546 on the 5th floor bridge with a great view of the ocean from the room and a large balcony. We think from looking at the size of the balcony this was one of the two largest suites.

What was really good--
Staff--lounge staff in addition to Viviana, Guilia and others took good care of us.
Location. Unlike Cancun, the hotel had three pools and a beach front with loungers while being only a block from the downtown and "fifth Avenue". It was nice to take a break by walking into town and dining and shopping there.

Hotel facility--the hotel is only 2 years old and it was really a beautiful facility. The entrance and lobby were magnificent with views of the ocean.

Price
We loved getting a room using a DSU for $125 US points and cash plus tax and service.

What was okay
Lounge--breakfast was continental--just hot eggs some cold meats, cereal and a lot of fruit and pastries. Evening appetizers were fine but limited. I was anxious to try their specialty margarita which was good but that was the only drink the bartender made--but wine and liquor were also available.

Spa
We took advantage of the Valentine's Day massage package for $110 USD including tip and tax. The spa facility was very, very nice with an artificial cenote and pool and heated lap pool as well as nice steam and sauna rooms and hot and cold plunge pools. The big negative was that spa access was not complimentary for Diamonds--day use was $40 with Diamonds getting a 30% discount. This is definitely something I am not used to.

Outdoor pools
We had read the pools were not heated and we did try them one day after 3pm and the sun had heated it enough to be okay. For a resort like this, you would expect to have heated pools to maximize their use.

Other

We used USA Transfers and were VERY happy--the cost was much better than other options at $110 RT for two people for a private van transfer. The arrangements were perfect--no waiting to be picked up on either end and they confirmed the return pickup time by email.

Definitely change some money into pesos as prices are lower in pesos, we tried in the airport but ATMS were broken. We had prepaid the transport so we were able to wait to use an ATM downtown the next day.

We had good light meals at El Fogon (ask the waiters for suggestions) and axiote. Both were about $14-15 for two light meals and beer.

We had a great stay at Grand Hyatt Playa and only a 3 1/2 hour flight from Phl to Cancun and then a 45 minute van ride for a great winter break
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
Amazing Staff and Gorgeous Location

Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

1a Avenida esquina Calle 26 Colonia Centro Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo MX 77710

Amazing Staff and Gorgeous Location (4 Photos)

I had certain expectations of this hotel knowing it was a Grand Hyatt, but honestly the pictures on the Hyatt website didn't seem to be anything over the top.

Check In

These expectations were immediately smashed when we arrive at the hotel lobby. The view from the open air lobby goes through the entire hotel and out to the sea. The amazing blue colors of the water were visible from our first step onto the property. The staff welcomed us, took our bags, and whisked us up to the 4th floor Grand Club before we even knew what was happening. My family was offered drinks and a comfortable seat anywhere in the club - we chose what would become our preferred location in the comfortable chairs on the patio. 1_IMG_9334.JPG

Room

After receiving our room key, we made our way down to our Ocean View Club room. I had heard that some rooms didn't have great views, but our room had a fantastic view of the open hotel as well as under the bridge to the sea. The hotel staff took the time to decorate the room for my children as well as left some cookies accompanied by a note that said they were aware of our nut allergies and that these cookies were nut free. I've never seen attention to detail like this before from a hotel welcome gift - truly something to remember. The appointments of the room were very nice. We did have an issue with the lights not shutting off the first night, and the maintenance staff was at our room in under 2 minutes. A quick reset of the panel / system and we were in the dark as desired. We also had an issue with not being able to switch from the rain shower head to the wall mounted and hand held shower. This too was resolved and I am so happy it was - this was the best hotel shower / water pressure I've ever experienced. It was exactly what we needed at the end of the day to remove all the salt and sand from our bodies. 1_IMG_9188.jpgIMG_9186.JPG

Service

Every member of the staff we interacted with were friendly and most spoke English well, or enough English to understand what we were trying to communicate. Elizabeth and Luis Carlos in the Grand Club were two highlights of the staff. Their level of service, welcoming smiles, and desire to learn my family's preferences were top notch...not to mention Elizabeth's margaritas - not to be missed!

Dining

The food and drinks were good, and the prices very reasonable for a Grand Hyatt. They were inline with restaurants off property, and I'd say half what I would expect to pay (or even less) at a Hyatt in the US.

Overall

Other reviews have mentioned the loud music from the dayclub next to the beach, so we were a little nervous about this. I can say that this was a complete non-issue. The club is a true day club and closes late in the afternoon. If you don't want to hear the club during the afternoon on the beach, then you can choose to sit on the other side of the beach / pool area and not have to listen to the music. 

There is live music in the center area of the hotel on most nights but this ends pretty early in the evening - to the point that my wife and I had hoped it would continue as the balcony of our room provided the perfect listening location while our children were winding down.1_IMG_9204.JPG

If it isn't clear by now, I can't say enough good things about this resort. I'm not a frequent reviewer of hotels, but the staff, facility, and overall experience deserve the compliments. *****

Amazing Staff and Gorgeous Location

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:15 pm

We have a reservation for November - a return trip, with a confirmed suite upgrade. I can't wait.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:49 pm

Darn, you are making the decision between here - as Explorist with club - and Andaz on points really tough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.