Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Carmelo Resort & Spa Uruguay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Diamond

Webpage is already up: http://carmelo.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Article detailing the transfer from Four Seasons: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...0622006034/en/

Looks like it will be a category 5, so only 20,000 points per night.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:18 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thanks for posting - you even beat GoldPassportConcierge!!!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:33 pm

Is there a lounge on the property? I wonder what the breakfast service is like for Diamonds.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Carmelo Resort & Spa Uruguay, Now a Hyatt

Wow great pickup. It's a small property (54 rooms?) so I doubt that Hyatt would add a lounge in (the FS did not) surprised that they didn't go with the PH or Andaz flag for this property. Maybe they will make some changes to fit those flags. Nonetheless great to see.

Fdw
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:36 pm

Anyone stayed here yet? Doesn't look like they are making award nights available -- at least I haven't been able to find any.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wspanic201
Anyone stayed here yet? Doesn't look like they are making award nights available -- at least I haven't been able to find any.
When it first reflagged it seemed that all rooms were available on points. Now I also can't find any award nights or P+C either.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
2 Suites & no Bungalow

Carmelo Resort & Spa, A Hyatt Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Ruta 21 Carmelo, Colonia UY

2 Suites & no Bungalow (14 Photos)

I visited this hotel in 2008 when it was a Four Seasons. At the time I loved it. This time I got a great rate and took advantage of the opportunity to do a mattress running. Reserved a bi level suite but arranged with the hotel to be upgraded to the newly refurbished premium bi level suite for the first 6 days using a DSU. There are only 4 of these at the property.

Hotel entrance

Hotel walkways

Premium Bi-Level Suite

• Modern decoration
  • 2 full bathrooms (2 showers & 1 bathtub)
  • Automatic blinds
  • Hugeee comfortable sofa
  • 1 desk downstairs, 1 upstairs with a 21" iMac. 
  • 2 big tvs (70" & 50")
  • Heated floor downstairs
  • Day bed
  • New carpets
  • Nice smell
  • Kitchenette, actually just a small countertop with a sink. 

Livingroom

Kitchenette (?)

Downstairs bathroom

Bed and desk with iMac 21"

Dressing area

Upstairs bathroom

View from room D30

Bi-Level Suite

• Dirty & smelly curtains, carpets and sofas
  • Fungus in some of the showers (had to change rooms once due to this)
  • Old rock hard bed in some rooms
  • Downstairs bathroom smell really bad all the time.
  • Heating is very poor downstairs

Livingroom

Bedroom

Bathroom similar to the one in the Premium Suite

Bungalow

Sadly I was not able to try the Bungalows, I made a request but they argued that they were all occupied, even though the website was showing multiple room availability and they blamed that to a system error..

Dining

Buffet breakfast is included with all rates, and it's served at the restaurant. Eggs a la carte are free of charge. There are other items like bagel with salmon, french toasts, pancakes and waffles that can be requested for a price (12-20usd each).

Food outside breakfast is expensive and not bad, but not great. 

Basta Pedro, in Puerto Camacho, is a small restaurant by the same owner, it's nearby and can be reached by bike or with the hotel's van (both free). They have nicer and much cheaper food. You can charge the bill to your room.

Spa & Activities

Spa is nice but unattended, it was always missing towels, water, robes, shampoo, etc. Slippers provided are reused and in terrible condition. Cleanness is an issue. Hairdryer only on women's bathroom...

Activities at the property and nearby locations can be found at: http://issuu.com/hyattcarmelo/docs/actividades_hyatt_carmelo
Bikes, Yoga & bakery classes are complimentary. Also there is a mixology class but not sure if that’s free.
Yoga was fantastic with Pat & Oliver. Great boat and canoa trips with Fernando.

Overall

I loved the Premium Bi-Level Suite . If you can not secure this room I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Other rooms are smelly, cold downstairs and in need of refurbishment. 

Overall, the hotel is in an awesome location, with extremely polite but sometimes inefficient service. Most rooms are in need of refurbishment ASAP.

A tip: Uruguay has tax free hotels for foreigners, as well as for food if paying with credit card. 

2 Suites & no Bungalow

Would you like to write a review on the Carmelo Resort & Spa, A Hyatt Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Thanks lautaro for the detailed review. We will be staying here next year - hopefully more rooms are renovated by then.

Would you recommend hiring a car? Our plan is to drive from Montevideo and then get the boat to BA, but would be useful to hear your thoughts.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Not sure this was my experience there very recently. The premium suites are updated, but are closer to walking areas where everyone can see into your room. Would not actually be my choice. I took multiple rooms (including a bungalow and bilevel suite) - they could have used a bit of a touch up, but by no means were they as dire as your experience.

There is little question that the property just barely hit FS standards, although it is a perfectly fine Hyatt. I liked it.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by price123
Thanks lautaro for the detailed review. We will be staying here next year - hopefully more rooms are renovated by then.

Would you recommend hiring a car? Our plan is to drive from Montevideo and then get the boat to BA, but would be useful to hear your thoughts.

I had forgotten about this message, sorry!

Yes, I would recommend hiring a car. It'll give you the freedom to roam around Carmelo and nearby sights... you shouldn't miss: the Narbona wine lodge (8 km), Estancia y Capilla Narbona (7 km), Puerto Camacho (4 km), Carmelo city (9 km), and Colonia del Sacramento (85 km).

From Montevideo to Hyatt there are 250 kms. If you leave early, perhaps you can stop by Colonia on your way, this will only add about 20 kms more to the whole trip.

Mind that google maps has two different locations for Hyatt Carmelo... the correct one is "Hyatt Carmelo Resort, Colonia Esterella Colonia, Uruguay" or -33.959245, -58.343528. There's another one that's misleading, especially if you are driving.

There are two options by boat to get to BA:
1. The most used one is Buquebus, which you can take from Colonia or Montevideo. Perhaps, you can arrange with the rent-a-car company to leave your car in Colonia, so you don't need to go all the way back to Montevideo.
2. The other option is Cacciola (at http://cacciolaviajes.com), which you can take directly from Carmelo.
Main difference is that Buquebus takes cars (in case you want to take your rented car) and arrives at the hear of BA, while Cacciola arrives in Tigre (35 kms away from BA). Cacciola has it’s own buses that will take you from BA to Tigre and back (wouldn't recommend it, though).
If you can arrange Buquebus from Colonia, I'd strongly recommend that option.

BTW Car rentals are tax free in Uruguay.

If you are planning to stay at Hyatt Centric Montevideo, check the thread here, I resently posted a small review of 2 suites.

Last edited by lautaro; Jul 26, 2016 at 6:39 pm Reason: Correction
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:31 pm

My husband and I are headed to this property in January, for three nights. We're going to use his points. Has anyone been there lately, and if so, how did you spend your time there? We won't have a car.

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by pho9187
My husband and I are headed to this property in January, for three nights. We're going to use his points. Has anyone been there lately, and if so, how did you spend your time there? We won't have a car.

Thanks.
Arrived here yesterday. As a Globalist we were upgraded to the best room on the property and it is quite nice; a two story suite. It appears to still be the off season with perhaps 25% occupancy, or less. We were told that wine tasting at two nearby properties cost $40-$50 per person. We are going to pass on that. The hotel is part of a large private residential compound, similar to the Andaz Papagayo, but of course not the same ecological environment. There is another restaurant within the compound but is only open for lunch daily and dinner Friday and Saturday. The area outside the compound is unremarkable. Looks like one should plan to enjoy the hotel's amenities and chill out, which is what we are doing for our 2 nights here.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Arrived here yesterday. As a Globalist we were upgraded to the best room on the property and it is quite nice; a two story suite. It appears to still be the off season with perhaps 25% occupancy, or less. We were told that wine tasting at two nearby properties cost $40-$50 per person. We are going to pass on that. The hotel is part of a large private residential compound, similar to the Andaz Papagayo, but of course not the same ecological environment. There is another restaurant within the compound but is only open for lunch daily and dinner Friday and Saturday. The area outside the compound is unremarkable. Looks like one should plan to enjoy the hotel's amenities and chill out, which is what we are doing for our 2 nights here.
We were there last year and did a wonderful cruise on there yacht, horseback riding and the wine tour . The Marina restaurant is very good

Carmelo yacht

Narbona winery

Antique cars a horse barn

Horseback
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lautaro
A tip: Uruguay has tax free hotels for foreigners, as well as for food if paying with credit card.
Do you have to request this back as a refund or is it just not included automatically for foreigners?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do you have to request this back as a refund or is it just not included automatically for foreigners?
They will exclude it at checkout.
More info at the government's website: https://turismo.gub.uy/index.php/en/benefits

BTW Argentina has tax free policy in hotels for foreigners also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.