Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are taxes charged on award nights using points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are taxes charged on award nights using points?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:24 am

I'm using a Hyatt free night certificate to stay at the Delano Hotel (used to be Thehotel at Mandalay Bay) in Las Vegas next month. The confirmation email said I'd have to pay $32.48 daily for the resort fee.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:44 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RobertH
I'm using a Hyatt free night certificate to stay at the Delano Hotel (used to be Thehotel at Mandalay Bay) in Las Vegas next month. The confirmation email said I'd have to pay $32.48 daily for the resort fee.
That could be since the mLife properties aren't true Hyatts - think codeshare.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I used free award night to stay at PH New York - nothing paid, just FYI.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GUWonder
My Hyatt Delhi award and paid stays over the past dozen or so years came with me being charged taxes based on some kind of filed rack rate for the room occupied. This tax charged to me on stays there were independent of the room booked or of of the room rate.

Had the same issue with other Delhi hotels too.

Just experienced this now, huge amount of taxes on a 'points plus cash' stay. They charge you the taxes as if you were paying the rack rate, i.e. more than the cash component. Absolutely outrageous if you ask me.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Short answer: no, but it depends.
If the city is collecting a type of tourism tax, then you will be charged for that tax even on a point stay. One example is Milan, Italy.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
Just experienced this now, huge amount of taxes on a 'points plus cash' stay. They charge you the taxes as if you were paying the rack rate, i.e. more than the cash component. Absolutely outrageous if you ask me.
This is a problem with India specifically. I had the same problem when I stayed at SPG hotels in several Indian cities. I was charged taxes on rack rates of upgraded rooms rather than the room rates I booked. Taxes are outrageous in India.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
This is a problem with India specifically. I had the same problem when I stayed at SPG hotels in several Indian cities. I was charged taxes on rack rates of upgraded rooms rather than the room rates I booked. Taxes are outrageous in India.
This has not happened to be in Delhi, one at a 4 star hotel and one at a 5 star. That is, no taxes on award rates, even though I was upgraded at the 5 star. So maybe it is gone? Or YMMV
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by peteropny
You are charged for taxes / fees if it's a fixed cost occupancy charge per night. Also, there had been reports in the past that "some" Hyatts in India charge a "luxury tax" based upon the room occupied (which could be significant). Resort fees are waived on award stays.
Some Hyatt hotels in India were hitting award stay customers for a multitude of taxes and "service fees". It's been going on for years and years and was still taking place in 2015 and in 2016. And sometimes the amount of money hotels charged the customers on award nights nearly equals or exceeds a regular paid night's room rate.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:45 am

Any DP on free award night at Park Hyatt New York. Do they charge taxes on award nights?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by RobertH
I'm burning through some points for a LV weekend at the Bellagio in two weeks and when I called to make the reservation, the agent said the resort fee might be waived.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Originally Posted by xazwa
Any DP on free award night at Park Hyatt New York. Do they charge taxes on award nights?
no they do not
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Do they charge taxes or resort fees on award stay at Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.