Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Ginza Tokyo- REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Ginza Tokyo- REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What? I'm not asking for any names (including yours). I'm trying to figure out what Hyatt's policy is.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your comment as two separate inquiries.

As everyone has answered, service tax is mandatory on any form of a cash rate. Occupancy tax is also charged according to the room rate.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
That's going to drive some Glob's nuts here - having to sign a check.
I was only asked to sign a check the first morning, which may have been a mistake as I did not sign a check for the next three mornings. The first morning's breakfast appeared on the bill, and it took a call from the front desk down to the restaurant to sort it out. So something tells me that I should not have received a check.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
"Eligible Rate" is a term from the WoH T&C. It refers to any rate that earns you base pts.

Edit: Yes, the cash portion of pts+cash counts as an eligible rate. This is clearly stated on Hyatt's website (go to https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...are-tiers.html and click/tap "eligible rate" for a description)
I called and they were unable to put the promo code into my bookings. They claimed that it only applied to straight paid rates. I pushed back on the Eligible Rates referred to and the very helpful agent looked up the T&Cs and agreed that my rates should be eligible according to the rules - but she just couldn't do it. Ah well...

At least the WoH promotion for this quarter should produce some extra points.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:39 am

I'm wrapping up a stay here, and overall, the hotel is a nice addition to the area. Its location in Ginza is really great (if that's where you want to be), and the hotel design itself does feel like a mini-Andaz. Here's a quick list of my pros/cons:

Pros:
- Location is great; very easy to get around via Ginza station and nearby Tokyo station. I like this location better than the Andaz in Toranomon, which we thought was somewhat out of the way.
- Rooms are very quiet, and modern/new fixtures were nice. There were lots of charging ports around, and room automation is pretty good.
- Service/staff were great; the front-desk was kind and helpful when we needed them.
- Housekeeping was prompt; we never had any late service issues, even when returning just a couple hours later.
- Internet/WiFi is fast and free.
- Nespresso machine and water boiler are available in-room.
- In-room fridge has additional space for you to store whatever you want.
- Room size in the standard room was never an issue for two people.

Cons:
- Rates were very high during my stay, although I used cash+points to avoid this problem. I agree with previous posters that paying upwards of 30k-35k yen is really starting to push it, much less the 45-50k+ yen rates this past week. It was during Chinese New Year and the Tokyo marathon, however.
- Limited in-house dining options via Namiki, which we didn't try. But, being in Ginza, there are tons of options nearby.
- Views are limited, and you don't get the amazing vistas from places like Andaz/PH/RC/MO.
- The bed is pretty hard, and after staying at the Prince Gallery, it's not as comfortable in our opinion as you would get at 5-star hotels.
- Elevators are sometimes slow; only two between ground/lobby, and two from lobby to all other rooms.

Neutral:
- Room layout (we tried the standard king and twin) isn't bad, but it wasn't very intuitive. The island in the middle with the fold-open sink is kind of strange, as they could've easily made it closed off and private without sacrificing space. Also, some of the internal doors are hinged in an unusual way (shower/toilet), which took a little getting used to.
- The sliding door that separates the sink from the bedroom doesn't go all the way to the opposite wall, so I'd caution that if you're traveling with someone who you're not too familiar/comfortable with, the bathroom area may not be private enough.
- Toiletries are okay; nothing special; made in China, BeeKind products.

i think the positioning of the hotel versus other Tokyo options can make it a tough sell, as its pricing occasionally competes with other true, 5-star hotels. During this trip, we also stayed at Prince Gallery, for example, and the room and amenities there were significantly better than at Hyatt Centric, and the room rate we secured was actually lower at PG than what we would've paid at HC if we didn't use C+P. The location of HC was preferable for us, though, so splitting our time between the two hotels was a nice change of pace.

I suppose in summary, we will probably return here if:
1. We want to be in Ginza.
2. The room rate is ~30-35k or lower, although this depends on rates relative to other hotels and the season.
3. We do not need a concierge for hard-to-get reservations (like via MO/RC/etc.) or care about in-house restaurants or spa availability.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

We are on the last day of our three-night stay here (one more night to go tonight). I got a complimentary upgrade to a Suite, which was nice. However, I found the overall service to be average, and in some cases, lacking. Interactions with the staff definitely felt not as polished as at the Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, or the Andaz.

I probably would not return to this hotel regardless of the price.

Moving over to the Park Hyatt tomorrow for the remainder of our stay in Tokyo.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'd much rather be at Prince Koicho than here. That's a 5 star Luxury Collection property while this is one of the nicer Centrics in the world but still lacking.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd much rather be at Prince Koicho than here.
Of course. You're comparing a mid-level Hyatt brand to the top brand in the Prince Hotel chain.

Hyatt Centric Ginza vs Tokyo Prince Hotel is closer to apples to apples comparison.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:25 am

One other criticism I have is that the hotel has a very limited presence on the ground floor level. I've only ever seen at most one employee there. This was especially apparent when we checked out, brought all our bags down ourselves, and were surprised to find that there was no one there to help us get a taxi, even though the person checking us out said that someone would be there. After about 5 minutes, we got lucky as someone just exited a taxi out front, so we jumped in and headed to Tokyo Station.

These types of service lapses are hard to forgive when the room rate exceeds 40k yen.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphabetsoup
One other criticism I have is that the hotel has a very limited presence on the ground floor level. I've only ever seen at most one employee there. This was especially apparent when we checked out, brought all our bags down ourselves, and were surprised to find that there was no one there to help us get a taxi, even though the person checking us out said that someone would be there. After about 5 minutes, we got lucky as someone just exited a taxi out front, so we jumped in and headed to Tokyo Station.

These types of service lapses are hard to forgive when the room rate exceeds 40k yen.
I didn't really think about since I used a taxi app but you're right. "Limited service" can't charge that much yen.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by alphabetsoup

Yes, one of my criticisms as well about this hotel.

In fact, when we arrived in a taxi at the front of the hotel to check in, we had a total of four suitcases. We saw a staff inside the door (at that supposed-Concierge table), but he just looked back at us without coming outside to assist. Then, the two of us lugged our suitcases inside, and all the guy did was push the lift button for us and told us check in was on the L level (or whatever it was). Still no offer to help with luggage.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Yes, one of my criticisms as well about this hotel.

In fact, when we arrived in a taxi at the front of the hotel to check in, we had a total of four suitcases. We saw a staff inside the door (at that supposed-Concierge table), but he just looked back at us without coming outside to assist. Then, the two of us lugged our suitcases inside, and all the guy did was push the lift button for us and told us check in was on the L level (or whatever it was). Still no offer to help with luggage.
No one was there when we arrived either. Still early days and service lapses bound to happen.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger

Additionally a „cocktail“ hour from 17:00 to 19:00 in the Restaurant with free champagne, wine, bottled beer, juices and one smallish appetiser plate. ... no free cocktails though.
Here right now, being told there's no cocktail hour for globalists. That changed in a hurry...
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
About to wrap up a 5-night stay at the Centric...given that I'm nowhere near a globalist but my companion have been so, so, so impressed with our stay so far.

We got a corner room possibly because of DISCV/my Cathay status but the room is spacious and airy with housekeeping levels that rival true luxury hotels.

Certain features were really nice like the Nespresso machine and the day bed as well as the abundance of outlets. The only design 'weirdness' that caught us was the door for the toilet, but not the shower (really liked the electric shower!)

The breakfast is amazing even when we paid on our own dime.

The concierge also helped us snag a last minute table for a fully booked lunch at the PHT NY grill. Good communication.

Not sure if feedback was heard but they now have someone at the ground floor during the daytime, and have a sign asking you to press a button for help if needed if you arrive in the evening.

I just wish the toiletries would be a luxury brand, but all in all it's all good so far. Love it.
johnny147 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:22 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We just completed a 3-night stay at Centric Tokyo and were pretty impressed.

I had made two separate reservations (1+2 night), and the Centric didn’t link them prior to arrival (despite my request in the note field), so we had a bit of a wait in the lobby while they sorted it out. To the hotel’s credit, they found us an upgraded room for the entire 3 nights (without prodding). The lobby has some great design, but the check-in area is odd. There’s a square counter with laptops in three corners, and you’re supposed to stand to the side of the person checking you in. They have to wander off to run your credit card and print stuff, and my impulse was to follow them, which caused them to tell me, please wait here. It’s an odd setup, but all that pales because there’s a cute mini robot on the desk who’ll perform tricks for you if your Japanese pronunciation is good enough.

We got a deluxe room — about 50sqm (500sqft), with a comfortable if slightly hard king bed. The room feels very spacious, and we quite liked the design. As has been noted before, the bathroom sink is in a column in the center of the room. We didn’t mind at all, but the lack of privacy would be a concern if you shared the room with, say, an adult child or someone you don’t know well. The toilet and bath/shower area are completely enclosed, so the setup is still a lot better than e.g. Sheraton Hiroshima, Sheraton Nha Trang, or W Bangkok, where there’s virtually no bathroom privacy (can’t think of any Hyatt examples).

The Glob happy hour mentioned above is gone (is there a Freddy category for benefit killed off most quickly after introduction?), but we were given breakfast, and it was extremely nice. I’m not a big breakfast eater, but this was an impressive spread of high quality items. I’d compare it to the Andaz, and would prefer it to PH (and obviously the club at GH). The croissant egg Benedict was delicious!

I agree with prior comments that the “limited service” approach is weird. When we arrived (2pm), nobody was on the ground floor, and throughout our stay we kept encountering befuddled arrivals who had no idea if they’d gone to the right place. That said, all the staff we interacted with were incredibly friendly and helpful, with great English skills. Among the best we encountered in many, many Japan trips.

The Centric has the best location among Tokyo Hyatts IMO. In contrast to PH/HR, which are in drab locations, you walk out of the Centric, and you’re right in the heart of Ginza, and there’s life. Otoh, there’s an important downside to note — it’s a low-rise building, and there are no iconic Tokyo views. In fact, we were on the 8th floor (of 12) and overlooked a narrow street and air conditioning equipment atop other buildings. I understand some rooms (suites?) have balconies, which would have been amazing during this beautiful spring weather.

The hotel is not well known yet. We arrived by taxi from the PH, and even though the driver was given the Centric’s name and address by the PH staff, we circled the block and were then taken to the back entrance. It would have been a fairly easy transfer by PH shuttle/metro/walk, but we had a lot of luggage. On the way to NRT, we took the Limousine Bus from Imperial hotel (per Centric recommendation). I find the Limousine Bus immensely frustrating at the best of times, and we only take it because I get free tickets via JCB. The Imperial route isn’t particularly convenient — about a 10 minute walk, and then you have to deal with the Imperial front desk to make your reservation (and buy a ticket, if applicable). I would think for most people, cab to Tokyo station and Narita Express would be a more convenient option, and the stop of the 1000yen Access Narita bus is very close (accessnarita.jp) — less cumbersome and much cheaper than the Limousine Bus/Imperial option, IMO, so not sure why the Centric recommends the latter.

Overall, we quite enjoyed our stay, and the Centric will become one of our regular Tokyo hotels. The cash rates (usually 35-40k yen, and 50k+ during this crazy Sakura week) are nuts, but the P&C are very reasonable.

Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The build quality is also very solid. No gaps between things or panels loose.
Cheetah_SA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.