Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Zanzibar REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ALGU
Dining Club Membership 290 USD
Might be of interest, especially for non-Globalists. Comes with a suite upgrade, one complimentary night with breakfast, one 30-minute spa treatment, one bottle of wine, F&B/Spa/Laundry discounts.
More info here
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

I haven't seen any reviews or anything... other than a few on Tripadvisor. I know it's a brand new place. I've heard good things about Zanzibar, but the property looks to be located in a main city area... Would love to hear people's experiences!
Old May 3, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
BUMP -- interested too.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:10 pm

Just got here last night. It's rainy season so a bit slow. Very beautiful property right in town. Location for city seems good but right by port so beach not the best. Infinity pool looks great and will try that out if it warms up. Rooms are big and spacious and what you would expect from a park Hyatt. Building itself is a 17th century remodel. Super large and impressive. Overall I'd say 9/10 with only drawback being the port but that's also a positive as you wAke up to about 100 small fishing vessels brining in their catch. Also the breakfast spread is not as big as you would expect but has everything you would want, just not five of everything that you get at many hotels, but again would probably expect that to increase in busy season. No point in wasting food. Great hotel and wonderful staff
Old May 22, 2015, 7:10 am

Seems like a bizarre location for a Park Hyatt. Maybe a Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt. Any info as to who owns or is financing this property?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Seems like a bizarre location for a Park Hyatt. Maybe a Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt. Any info as to who owns or is financing this property?
ASB Holding Limited, NZ

The Park Hyatt is a beautiful little hotel, very few keys, very intimate, GREAT GM, she's passionate about both Hyatt and Zanzibar.
martinplas likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Any additional reviews or comments on this place? Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Beautiful hotel. Looks and feels in every way like a Park Hyatt.

I used a DSU and received the standard suite, which was gorgeous and overlooked the beach. Staff was friendly. I understand there is a new manager, but all senior staff seemed to be available to the public, asking how the stay is going, etc.

The only minor complaint is that breakfast isn't quite to the standards expected of a PH. It is perfectly fine, just not incredible. The pool is lovely, although the sunbeds can end up being monopolised by a couple of large families.

Stone Town itself isn't really my thing. Step outside the hotel and you will know you are in Africa, rather than an Indian Ocean paradise. (for that you need to head to the north of the island or on boat daytrips)

It's been three months since I was there, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. But basically it's a fantastic Park Hyatt and if you've stayed at some of the nicer ones, that's almost the only description you need...
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Wow, thanks for the very quick reply. Much appreciated!

When you say that Stone Town is not your thing, do you simply mean that the hotel setting is not a tropical paradise or that in and of itself you find Stone Town a hassle and/or over-rated?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The Park Hyatt Zanzibar Twitter site has a whopping 13 followers (compared to over 10,000 for the Park Hyatt Tokyo) I imagine it's mainly a destination for affluent locals?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Wow, thanks for the very quick reply. Much appreciated!

When you say that Stone Town is not your thing, do you simply mean that the hotel setting is not a tropical paradise or that in and of itself you find Stone Town a hassle and/or over-rated?
Stone Town is not tropical paradise IMO. It is a decaying town that may have UNESCO heritage status but is also full of locals hassling tourists and little to actually see or do. But others may have a different perspective.

I would still have no qualms going back to the PH and not even leaving the property for a few days. It's that relaxing IMO.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The Park Hyatt Zanzibar Twitter site has a whopping 13 followers (compared to over 10,000 for the Park Hyatt Tokyo) I imagine it's mainly a destination for affluent locals?
Affluent Arabs I would imagine. It's a 4-hour flight from Doha and Zanzibar is mostly Muslim IIRC.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again for the quick and informative reply!

One more question for you or anyone else reading this thread: I realize that the nearly urban location near the port makes the beach not very great to hang out on. But is it a pleasant place to walk along? Or is it broken up by buildings or whatever, and/or are you likely to be hassled along the way if walking along it? And if it's a long beach, for how long (in minutes or kilometers) can you walk along it?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Stone town is a bit over-rated. What's interesting is all the doors.
Does the Park Hyatt have the traditional doors outside and or inside?

I stayed at the Emerson and Green which is a fantastic hotel in an old noble family house. Each room is unique and has a gorgeous door with a design that is different than the others. It'd be great if the PH has done the same.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:41 pm

Just completed a 5 night points plus cash suite upgrade. Suite is massive, new, and very nice.

Breakfast is extremely good. Wonderful fruit spread. As mentioned above, felt that Stone town is over rated. Some solid restaurants, but the endless dudes following you selling stuff gets old. The Hyatt is a no go zone, so they stop one block up. The local beach actually has wonderful local flavour. Nice kids playing soccer, swimming, and living their lives.

I am a diver and would rank Zanzibar as so so. Decent marine park 1 hour from the hotel, but no reason to go to Zanzibar just to dive.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
I stayed here recently on a weekend trip. Booked under a corp rate but used a DSU since I still had 3 to burn this year.

Property was very nice, my favorite part was how the rear deck was right on the beach. Service was actually decent considering it's Zanzibar, and no major hiccups during the stay other than overzealous housekeeping and the breakfast staff forgetting my order.

I was upgraded to a very nice suite (1000) on the edge of the property, it was quite large and had ocean views in the living room while the bedroom and bathroom towards the front of the property had a balcony that overlooked the front courtyard. The living and dining areas had vaulted ceilings which were a nice touch. The Expresso machine and pitcher of water were also refilled daily.

I have a feeling this may have been slightly nicer than a suite up in the main building, but the privacy was great as well as the convenience to the pool and deck. Breakfast for Diamonds is the buffet they have, hours are until 10:30 or 11 which is nice if you sleep late. Egg dishes can be custom ordered but I was unsure if they had an additional menu to order off of in addition to the buffet.

Out of all my DSU redemptions this was for sure in my top 3. I didn't use the property much other than the pool, deck and breakfast. But I left the property impressed. For $220 with my diamond benefits in comparison to the $150 at other comps on the island it was a no brainer.

I stayed in Stone Town my whole stay, its nice for one or two days but that's it. It appeared many other guests here were doing day treks to other areas of the island.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks... I have liked the look of this property from the start, I just need a trip to make it a part of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.