Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Zanzibar REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ALGU
Dining Club Membership 290 USD
Might be of interest, especially for non-Globalists. Comes with a suite upgrade, one complimentary night with breakfast, one 30-minute spa treatment, one bottle of wine, F&B/Spa/Laundry discounts.
More info here
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Zanzibar REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
)

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Any recent stays/reviews? I'd be interested in Globalist upgrades, Covid precautions, quality of service, any new developments, etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Standard upgrade is to Park Suite which is a Junior Full Suite (no separating door, but and full living area with additional half bathroom). No masking even from staff. Quality of service varies. I found the FOM and the Associate who brought us to the room to be exceptional. F&B staff at Dining Room was a bit mixed. Didn’t interact much with anyone else. The one new development I saw was the Dining Club program which is interesting, particular for non-Globalists.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did you use points for the presidential suite?

How did you like the hotel overall? How was the globalist breakfast?

We are coming soon. What did you do outside the hotel grounds? Any interesting sightseeing? What about restaurants?
Yes, used points. I was very impressed by the hotel but Stone Town itself is a 1-2 day site. Globalist breakfast was great, enjoyed very much. They do rotate some of the hot mains out daily, but a majority is kept. I really enjoyed the bottled juices (Pomegranate, hibiscus, and watermelon). Opens at 6:30am but seem to be fully set up at 7:30am. Very much island time in Zanzibar. They also had coconuts on demand which is a concept that is new to me.

Coconuts on demand

Sorry SanDiego1K I missed your last question. I had 4 nights/3 full days in Zanzibar and stayed entirely at the Park Hyatt. First full day I was sick so stayed in. Second day explored Stone Town and Prison Island, highly recommend snorkeling at the latter. They have tons of tortoises from Seychelles, but there’s no barrier like in La Digue. Third day hired a car and a driver and explored the island. Jozani Forrest, Rock restaurant, Michamvi, Kuza Cave, Mtoni Palace Ruins, Baraka Natural Aquarium, and Nungwi were the places I recall. Lots of police checkpoints so wouldn’t recommend self-driving.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by ALGU; Sep 3, 2022 at 12:19 pm Reason: Correction on Park Suite details
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:51 pm

Dining Club Memebership

Might be of interest, especially for non-Globalists. For 290 USD, comes with a suite upgrade, one complimentary night with breakfast, one 30-minute spa treatment, one bottle of wine, F&B/Spa/Laundry discounts.

Dining Club 1

Dining Club 2

Dining Club 3

Dining Club 4

Dining Club 5
SanDiego1K and clublevel15 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:59 am
Community Director Emerita

We used a suite upgrade for our stay at the Park Hyatt Zanzibar. I'm glad I did as the hotel was completely sold out the day we arrived including all suites. Our flight arrived at 8am. We had a car booked thru the hotel. It cost $40. We were thru immigration formalities and at the hotel by 9am. All suites were occupied so we were taken to the breakfast area. We were kept informed as to when a suite was emptied and how housekeeping was progressing. We got access at 11:30am. We had a Park Suite King. A prior poster said that this category is a junior suite. We had a full suite with a door that closed between the bedroom and living room. It had a half bath off the living room. Both rooms were spacious and both had small balconies. We were above the dining area and enjoyed seeing the various ways locals used the beach. It was particularly fun to see women in full Muslim coverings work out every morning at 7:00am. I was impressed.

Service was good albeit unpolished. We learned after our first outing in Stone Town to get someone from the bell stand to walk us to our first destination. They were happy to do so and then we could easily figure out how to return to the hotel. Our favorite outing was going to Prison Island. We booked it via the hotel and had our own boat for the half hour trip. We really enjoyed the tortoise sanctuary on the island. We had seen large tortoises on the Galapagos and found this as interesting. We also saw the Freddie Mercury Museum, a short walk from the hotel. He was raised in Stone Town. There were endless souvenir shops and this is a good place to buy local product before or after your safari.

Food was not the quality that we expect at a Park Hyatt. Fortunately we love Indian food and there were a number of choices in Stone Town. The hotel staff universally agreed that Silk Route Restaurant was the best. We generally had it delivered to the hotel where the delivery person was allowed to bring it to our door. We needed to have cash when they brought it to us. We had failed to get Tanzanian currency but they (and all places we stopped) agreeably took dollars. I'm used to being able to go near cash free on trips these days and didn't think thru the need to convert money. The restaurant was just a four minute walk from the hotel albeit up two steep flights of stairs.

A particularly pleasant aspect of the hotel is the long expanse along the water. There were plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view. Despite the hotel being full there was no sense of crowding.
scented and ALGU like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We got access at 11:30am. We had a Park Suite King. A prior poster said that this category is a junior suite. We had a full suite with a door that closed between the bedroom and living room. It had a half bath off the living room.
Whoops, sorry for the misfire. Thanks for clarifying, I’ll edit my post to reflect. Enjoyed your review and thanks for sharing your experience!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:08 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Free Breakfast?

I no longer have Globalist/Diamond with Hyatt. While booking this property yesterday, I noticed this note about "Standard Room Free Night: Breakfast included." See photo attached.

Is this a mistake?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

I think breakfast is free for everyone.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:06 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Park Hyatt Zanzibar = Good Service and Spacious Suite With Some Issues

Park Hyatt Zanzibar

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Park Hyatt Zanzibar

Shangani Street, Stone Town 4255, Tanzania , TZ

Park Hyatt Zanzibar = Good Service and Spacious Suite With Some Issues (39 Photos)

Park Hyatt Zanzibar

We stayed at the lone Park Hyatt in all of Africa during our stay in Zanzibar.  Not having many reference points it’s hard to judge by local standards but I can say the hotel was on average in line with the brand but not in all aspects.  

Check In

I did not use a Globalist Suite Upgrade because I thought my chances were decent to get a complimentary suite upgrade at check-in.  We arrived early morning and were told we could have a suite but none were ready so we were invited to have breakfast while waiting.  After breakfast the suite was still not ready so we were given keys to a standard room so that our daughter could nap after having travelled during the night.  

Room

The temporary room they gave us was actually an ADA room with the toilet and the shower being in one big open space.  Otherwise the room was fine and had some local touches although not as many as the suite we had later.

1_IMG_4744.jpeg1_IMG_4745.jpeg1_IMG_4746.jpeg1_IMG_4747.jpeg

We moved to a suite around 5pm which was later than what they seemed to imply when we arrived at the hotel but since our daughter had a long nap in the afternoon it was no big deal.  The suite was very spacious (100 sqm), had 1.5 bath, a nice terrace overlooking the beach and seaviews, and had good quality of materials for example the floor tiles.  However there were some aspects lacking considering the PH brand, notably soundproofing was very poor due to thin windows so we could hear everything going on outside the hotel including calls for prayer at 5am.  Soundproofing from the inside was also weak and we could easily hear doors closing.  Thankfully because our suite was at the end of a hallway the noise was more muted when being in the bedroom.  The sofa in the living room did not look very clean so we avoided it and on our first day the water flow in the suite was intermittent and would stop at regular intervals making a shower somewhat tedious.  However once I mentioned the problem to staff the next morning, they fixed the issue while housekeeping cleaned the room.

Bathroom toiletries were Le Labo Bergamote 22 as expected and were refilled regularly by housekeeping which did a good job exactly at the time we requested every day.

1_IMG_4755.jpeg1_IMG_4756.jpegIMG_4757.jpegIMG_4758.jpegIMG_4759.jpegIMG_4760.jpegIMG_4761.jpegIMG_4762.jpeg1_IMG_4763.jpeg1_IMG_4764.jpegIMG_4765.jpeg1_IMG_4766.jpeg1_IMG_4767.jpeg1_IMG_4768.jpeg

Dining

The breakfast buffet was good but one would have to like coconut because many dishes had some variation of a coconut sauce, including beans, sweet potatoes, bananas, and pumpkin; it was a lot of dishes with coconut. I did enjoy the coconut water every morning though.  What lacked in this breakfast to be truly Park Hyatt standards was some kind of a la carte menu, which there was none if not counting made to order eggs which is a given.

The restaurant was in an attractive venue with seating both indoors and outdoors above the beach.  

1_IMG_4725.jpegIMG_4728.jpegIMG_4729.jpegIMG_4730.jpegIMG_4731.jpegIMG_4732.jpeg2_IMG_4733.jpeg1_IMG_4741.jpeg

Common Areas

Similar to the restaurant, the hotel common areas looked great and I liked the historical nature of the hotel which used to be the palace for the Sultanate of Oman (the old wing of the hotel).  They later built a more modern wing where our suite was located.  The bar of the hotel was inviting, the library was quiet, and the high ceilings with sky lights near reception were impressive.  

2_IMG_4734.jpegIMG_4735.jpeg1_IMG_4736.jpeg1_IMG_4737.jpeg1_IMG_4738.jpeg2_IMG_4739.jpeg2_IMG_4740.jpeg

1_IMG_4742.jpeg1_IMG_4743.jpeg

1_IMG_4749.jpeg1_IMG_4750.jpegIMG_4753.jpegIMG_4754.jpeg

Service

Service was generally a strength at the hotel with various staff remembering our names and being very friendly when we walked by reception and at the front door.  They were also more proactive than most hotels in suggesting half day tours from the hotel and talking about the history of Zanzibar and the various sites to visit, compared to other PHs some of which tend to be more reactive.  

Wifi

Wifi worked with speed of 45 Mbps but there were some minor interruptions.

Overall

Overall I found this PH to be good but short of being great, although considering the lack of local alternatives from international hotel chains (there are a couple of Double Tree hotels), I would return with no hesitation and I can recommend it.

Park Hyatt Zanzibar = Good Service and Spacious Suite With Some Issues

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Zanzibar?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by ALGU
Might be of interest, especially for non-Globalists. For 290 USD, comes with a suite upgrade, one complimentary night with breakfast, one 30-minute spa treatment, one bottle of wine, F&B/Spa/Laundry discounts.

Dining Club 1

Dining Club 2

Dining Club 3

Dining Club 4

Dining Club 5
Can you order this membership in advance or do you need to buy it at the hotel?

Thanks
Old May 27, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know what the current room type is for a Premium Suite using points?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ACC2008
Can you order this membership in advance or do you need to buy it at the hotel?

Thanks
bumping this, as I have an upcoming trip - does anyone know if it’s possible to buy in advance? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
235 EUR/night for 7 nights or more, almost 50% discount compared to Hyatt's website:

for some reason bookable only with VPN with Germany's IP address

https://travel-dealz.de/deal/sansibar-hyatt/
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:43 pm
Company Representative: World of Hyatt

Programs: World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Does anyone know what the current room type is for a Premium Suite using points?
Good afternoon. Thank you for considering Park Hyatt Zanzibar for your stay. Regrettably, the hotel does not offer a Premium Suite when using points. The Park Suite is the 1-bedroom Standard Suite that is given when using points. @Hyattconcierge . . .
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:25 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Richey66
235 EUR/night for 7 nights or more, almost 50% discount compared to Hyatt's website:

for some reason bookable only with VPN with Germany's IP address

https://travel-dealz.de/deal/sansibar-hyatt/
as part of a package tour (Pauschalreise) the rates are always cheaper, this applies basiscally to any hotel. You will however not earn points, nor will any tier benefits apply.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:34 am

Property is moving to a Category 6 March 26, 2024. Get your bookings in now
liw5215 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.