Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Washington, D.C./White House REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA

There's a new Hyatt in Washington!

Location is very nice, just a few block from the White House.

Press Release here.

Note: Some of the rates appear to be pretty high in May...

Check In 5/24, Check Out 5/25
Grand Hyatt Washington $199
Hyatt Place DC/Downtown $427
Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill $135
Park Hyatt Washington $270

Hotel website is here.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Finally had a chance to stay at the K street Hyatt property. It's really new so most DC cabbies are not aware of this location... just a heads-up.

Pros and cons:

- Free (w/ hot options) breakfast in lobby
- Free internet but kind of slow and session timed out several times
- 24hr food/beverage service in lobby (eat there or bring up to room)
- small gym but sufficient
- Not the most efficient staff but polite enough
- Location is pretty central for business travelers (ahem! its next to a strip club as well).

During my stay there was a huge convention of LEOs (from allover the country) that weekend. Off-duty LEO's probably like to party because I could hear the ruckus from hallway. Nothing too crazy but I could hear doors open/close/get slammed.

- Noise proofing is not upto par
- Lighting is a bit dingy in the rooms
- slowwwww elevators

I didn't have time to check for office/printer services or any other amenities.

Property's GM sent me an email after my stay which was a nice touch. I have been Marriott Plat for few years and never had a GM reach out with a thank you note for my business. Nice touch. ^

It's sortta no frills property but is just enough to get by for a short stay.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:22 pm
K79

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Finally had a chance to stay at the K street Hyatt property. It's really new so most DC cabbies are not aware of this location... just a heads-up.

Pros and cons:

- Free (w/ hot options) breakfast in lobby
- Free internet but kind of slow and session timed out several times
- 24hr food/beverage service in lobby (eat there or bring up to room)
- small gym but sufficient
- Not the most efficient staff but polite enough
- Location is pretty central for business travelers (ahem! its next to a strip club as well).

During my stay there was a huge convention of LEOs (from allover the country) that weekend. Off-duty LEO's probably like to party because I could hear the ruckus from hallway. Nothing too crazy but I could hear doors open/close/get slammed.

- Noise proofing is not upto par
- Lighting is a bit dingy in the rooms
- slowwwww elevators

I didn't have time to check for office/printer services or any other amenities.

Property's GM sent me an email after my stay which was a nice touch. I have been Marriott Plat for few years and never had a GM reach out with a thank you note for my business. Nice touch. ^

It's sortta no frills property but is just enough to get by for a short stay.
I was there over Mem Weekend for a night stay. Had similar issues. Location is decent.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am staying here right now. Here's my review.

I am not a picky eater but the breakfast is just OK. It's not the greatest but it's sufficient. However after the 3rd day, I think I'm over it. However, I will say that the sit-down breakfast area is a nice size. Lots of seats and I was there over a weekend. I normally went down right before closing and I noticed food, plates, utensils kept running out. However, the staff was great about replacing everything pretty quickly. I didn't like though that breakfast ended early. 9 am on weekdays and 9:30am on weekends. Being on vacation, a lot of days I was just waking up at 9:30 LOL. However, free is better than nothing.

I was quite disappointed though that even though I booked High Floor Queen, when I got there, I was put on the 3rd floor! And was told they didn't have any more rooms. I was offered to move but I didn't want the hassle of moving my family. It's pretty disappointing though because the high floor rooms were $20/night more than non-HF. If I hadn't gotten this room on a BRG, then I would have been making a big fuss about it!

Now the positives, you can tell that the hotel is brand new! The decor and furnishes all mirror that. Room was a decent size, though I remember other Hyatt Places being bigger. The staff are all great. 24/7 food in their downstairs area which is nice. And the location is great!! You are literally just a few blocks from the White House and everything else is within close proximity. The first two days, we were able to walk everywhere with little issue. (This included a woman in her 60s). I haven't noticed the internet to be slow but I haven't tried to stream videos or anything. For basic usage, it's perfect.

I give it a 4/4.5 out of 5 but highly recommend it!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: KF Silver (bye long-haul Y, not missed!)
Almost perfect, except the missing bag

We stayed here from 18-22 May. Our first room was booked through Hotwire, which was a nice surprise given the price we paid. The second room was booked though a successful bid sometime later on Priceline's Name Your Own Price.

On the whole, the family was pleased with the stay. Among the positives,
- high floors for both rooms (8th and 10th).
- furnishings in very good condition, including the beds and bedding.
- breakfasts had enough variety over 3 mornings to satisfy everyone in our party.
- breakfast timings have lengthened. Perhaps in response to feedback such as that from @cdancer20. 9:30am on weekdays, 10am on weekends.
- I was able to get a coffee to go at 5:45am, and was further offered a couple of cinnamon rolls, even though breakfast officially started at 6am.
- Front Desk kindly loaned an umbrella, though they had no idea who it belonged to (this seemed like a positive at first, but on hindsight reflected something less benign).

Sadly, our experience was completely let down by a failure in service. On our final night 21 May, we decided to deposit four bags with the hotel and collect them a week later when we returned to DC. We left it in the good hands of Adonis of the Front Desk, who handed us four baggage tags, one for each bag. Adonis even checked with his Manager to confirm that this arrangement had been approved by the Manager (it was).

Of our four bags, only three remained in the hotel's possession a week later (30 May). Compensation was promised by Marcus Williams of the Front Desk after 90 minutes of my mother and sister searching in multiple storage rooms with the service staff. Mr Williams also quipped, perhaps a little too candidly for our comfort, that luggage loss has been an occasional mistake.

Despite multiple emails with Operations Manager Andrea Kittles subsequently, there has been no resolution, let alone any offer of the promised compensation. Responses have been hard to elicit, though we have been told that the security cameras do not reveal anything. In Ms Kittles' last email, she asked for a Hyatt Gold Passport account number, which was duly furnished, but the email chain died henceforth.

On a side note, while the GM Wes Santos has been copied in the emails, the silence from his end has been quite pronounced. Not quite the promptness in the early days, which @carsnoceans had pointed out.

Hyatt Gold Passport has also remained quiet, despite being copied in the final email to Ms Kittles.

The mishandling of the luggage and its loss has been disappointing and almost too inept to trigger anger. Instead, I am left with a sweeping sense of bewilderment.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Stayed there recently using points (12K/night) and an award (the annual free night from Chase/Hyatt). Since paid rates were around $400 a night, we felt it was a good use of points.

Here are a few observations:

Breakfast is quite good for a Hyatt Place. The fruit on one day was cantaloupe and berries, a nice change from the usual mix. Cranberry juice was an added choice. Raisin bread was available every day as was whipped cream for the pancakes/waffles. The sandwich choices were varied and fresh and kept re-supplied. They had two staff busy clearing the tables or helping to separate the trash from the plates and cups or putting out food. Plenty of tables as another poster noted.

When we were there (in June) they were back to a 9:00 cut off for breakfast on weekdays which is too early in my book. Weekends were 9:30.

Echo the notes on friendly staff. Elevators were quick and big.

Didn't care for the rooftop terrace. Too sunny and hot when we were there. Might be nice in the spring or the fall on a cooler evening but not really at any other time--it's just too exposed.

The rooms seem to be wearing poorly. We had a broken drawer, stains on the desk, one window blind out of its track, fraying carpet and a very noisy a/c unit [though it did cool the room well]. The faucet in the sink is too close to the lip of the sink so water goes everywhere when you try to wash your hands. We also had a strange electrical issue where turning off the light in the shower room turned off bedside lights and plugs. Plus I don't care for the glass door separating the toilet/shower from the sink area and the rest of the room. On the plus side, the frig was nice (though the door was loose) and the water pressure in the shower was excellent. The TV was also good with good channel selection (over 10 HBO/Cinemaxx channels and probably 100+ channels overall). And it was close to the White House (which mattered to us since we had tickets for the first entrance (7:30 a.m.) one day.

It may seem like there were a lot of negatives but overall we were very pleased with the property and the stay. I think it's the best Hyatt Place I have ever stayed at and think it represents good value in the DC hotel game looking at all companies and properties (i.e. the St Regis next door is 20-25K Starpoints/night and the Hilton across the street is 60,000 Hhonors points/night).
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm planning to use two credit card free nights here in January. The Grand Hyatt is full, so I'm choosing this over the Hyatt Regency. Free breakfast is a nice perk but not an absolute necessity. We'll arrive by Metro from DCA and depart by train from Union Station. We also plan to visit at least one Smithsonian and see some family in Arlington, so we'll be using Metro and possibly walking to the Mall. It looks like both the blue/orange and red line stations are pretty close compared to the HR which only has the red line at Union Station. Does this seem like the best hotel for this trip or should I go for the HR? Too bad PH is out as a Cat 5.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:07 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Stayed here last night. Not bad by Hyatt Place standards... lotion was in the room (at many HPs you have to ask for it), and the bed covers seemed slightly thicker/nicer than most HPs (often at HPs they are nearly threadbare and they are low quality & thin to begin with). Soundproofing seemed poor (doesn't bother me but it seems to bother many), there was substantial street noise audible from a K Street-facing 6th floor room.

I had selected the comp 12:00 checkin (on the app, as an "add on" or whatever) and checked in online around noon, but when I arrived at 2:30 the app still didn't have me assigned to a room. The agent at the desk seemed a little flustered that my room wasn't ready (while I stood there, she radioed and asked whether a 10th floor room was ready "for a VIP" but it wasn't, so she then gave me a room on the 6th floor instead... presumably something was wrong with the original room). She handed me a little gift bag (with gift bag paper and everything, LOL) containing a water bottle, bag of Lays, and Kellogg protein/breakfast bar, nice touch. She offered 2 additional bottles of water on day of check-in and day of check-out.

Didn't try the breakfast but I'm not normally a fan of HP breakfast food anyhow.

I will probably return again at some point based on location & price... nothing special but nothing to avoid like the plague either.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Jul 29, 2021 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed one night out of a four night reservation. I arrived on a redeye and was happy that they were able to get me into a room so early, but it turned out to be on the third floor in the back of the building. That would have been fine, but the window was thickly frosted for "privacy," which made the room feel dark and claustrophobic. To make matters worse, the wardrobe was close to the window and blocked what little light did come through the frosted window.

I asked the front desk if they could move me the next day, but they couldn't guarantee I'd get a room with a proper window, so I told them I would be departing early and moved the second day to the Grand Hyatt. An unremarkable property, but at least I knew there would be a proper window.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Doppy
Stayed one night out of a four night reservation. I arrived on a redeye and was happy that they were able to get me into a room so early, but it turned out to be on the third floor in the back of the building. That would have been fine, but the window was thickly frosted for "privacy," which made the room feel dark and claustrophobic. To make matters worse, the wardrobe was close to the window and blocked what little light did come through the frosted window.

I asked the front desk if they could move me the next day, but they couldn't guarantee I'd get a room with a proper window, so I told them I would be departing early and moved the second day to the Grand Hyatt. An unremarkable property, but at least I knew there would be a proper window.
Got any pics of said window or miserable room?

David
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

I stayed in a very similar room a few years ago. We were only staying two nights and wouldnt be there much during the day so didnt ask to move but was pretty disappointed and decided I wont stay there again. I was Explorist at the time.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Got any pics of said window or miserable room?

David

The desk being you the left of the wardrobe, working in this room would be particularly depressing
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

The desk being you the left of the wardrobe, working in this room would be particularly depressing
Are you sure it wasn't a hostel?

David
Doppy and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:09 pm

Walls are so thin here you can loudly hear when the room next to you rolls down their window shades. Forget about TV or music. There was a single pair of small ear plugs in the room. Road noise is also a big problem but I knew to expect that. So bad I cancelled a few nights I had coming up and will move to the Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency at a higher cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.