Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 7, 15, 6:13 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 2
I'm at the hotel now in a King Suite. It's ok, though the description isn't entirely accurate. There's no mini bar, no wet bar, and the "Separate work area with oversized desk and enhanced lighting" could also be described as a bar-height dining table with an overhead lamp.

Originally Posted by ronbo83 View Post
I live nearby and have my first booking for visitors and have a few questions for anyone who has stayed.

1. Anyone know if the club is open/closed on the weekends?
2. Anyone try the King Suite yet? Thoughts/comments?

I have eaten at B&B twice in the last 2 weeks and think that there are good options on the menu. Some of their "signature" dishes like the hot fried chicken were just plain awful but the burgers were good as well as the chili (my favorite) and many of the apps. The deserts are also good and on the small side (cheaper too) which were perfect for our groups. The weather has been mixed recently but having dinner and drinks on the patio has been great when the weather cooperates. I have been to much worse "hotel restaurants" than this one and given the endless amount of choices in the mall, food should be fairly easy to nail in the area.
Hallsofmontezuma is offline  
Old Aug 8, 15, 7:21 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by Hallsofmontezuma View Post
I'm at the hotel now in a King Suite. It's ok, though the description isn't entirely accurate. There's no mini bar, no wet bar, and the "Separate work area with oversized desk and enhanced lighting" could also be described as a bar-height dining table with an overhead lamp.
Haha I have never checked the room description against the actual room before, that is pretty funny that there were those differences. I liked the room a lot and it was great for our needs. The bathroom was huge and had plenty of space for 2 people. The fridge was weird because it was in a cabinet which was extremely hot. I think it is a worthwhile DSU upgrade and beats the usual parlor room that older Regency's provide.
ronbo83 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 15, 5:10 pm
  #33  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,413
Stayed here in a Regency Suite with a connecting room as family plan for 1 night.... Just some thoughts
-Diamond Amenity is nice- choice of Food options and Beverage options. We went with bottle of wine and pretzel with pimento cheese
-All the suites face the plaza-> seems like festivals are frequent and loud. Definitely not a good option there. Wish that the suite had a tub; there really is enough room there..
- Even billed as connecting; the suite doesn't truly connect to another room. There was a vestibule that they could close the outer door. Not really a great option with kids as the door locks were still in operation...
- pool was small, little cold but serviceable. Nice that there is a life guard (probably VA reg).
- Club is solid. Looks like a reasonable spread at breakfast.. good quality fruit and teh pastries seemed fresh. Didn't really spend much other time there...

I was debating between here and the Ritz (great weekend rate with FHR). I chose here due to the proximity to Shake Shack and the playground. If I had known about the loud festival I would have chosen the Ritz. Fortunately NotFlyingBabyWu is a great sleeper...

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Sep 21, 15, 10:23 pm
  #34  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,217
I don't get how any suite can call itself a suite without some sort of tub. That shouldn't be.
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 23, 15, 12:00 am
  #35  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,455
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I don't get how any suite can call itself a suite without some sort of tub. That shouldn't be.
I agree, although I've seen apartments without bathtubs. (Apparently this is legal in some jurisdictions.)
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 23, 15, 4:11 am
  #36  
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I don't get how any suite can call itself a suite without some sort of tub. That shouldn't be.
I agree but it's not uncommon... the Andaz 5th Avenue only has tub in their Splash suites I think and I've been to a bunch of older build but renovated hotels that have replaced the shower/bath combo with just a shower...

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Sep 23, 15, 4:47 am
  #37  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,217
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I agree but it's not uncommon... the Andaz 5th Avenue only has tub in their Splash suites I think and I've been to a bunch of older build but renovated hotels that have replaced the shower/bath combo with just a shower...

FDW
Very uncommon here in Asia. Surprised to hear about Andaz!
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 23, 15, 1:43 pm
  #38  
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 15,251
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I agree but it's not uncommon... the Andaz 5th Avenue only has tub in their Splash suites I think and I've been to a bunch of older build but renovated hotels that have replaced the shower/bath combo with just a shower...

FDW
Andaz 5th in the Splash Suite has both a standalone large tub separate from the usual shower that's in all rooms.
peteropny is offline  
Old Sep 24, 15, 5:08 am
  #39  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,455
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Andaz 5th in the Splash Suite has both a standalone large tub separate from the usual shower that's in all rooms.
In their next category up, one bedroom suite with a view of the library, there's a large shower that has a foot soaking bath (basically a large tub and a stool in the shower stall). This is the first time I've seen this in a hotel. It's a good idea if it's kept very clean. [I didn't use it.]
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 14, 16, 9:24 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: BA, UA, AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 29
Nice Suite, some kinks to work out

We came for a family "staycation" using a Diamond Suite Upgrade. We stayed in an ADA compliant suite (I think it was a Vast Suite?) The suite was very large ~ 725 sq ft. It had a king bed in a separate bedroom, huge en suite bathroom with double sinks, separate room for toilet, huge walk in shower with bathtub, half bath off the living room which had a dining table that seats 6-8 + a large couch with coffee table and chairs). Overall, we were really impressed with the room both in terms of size and what it contained. We were a bit disappointed with the cleanliness which may have just been due to the person we got, not a hotel-wide issue. There were some spots on the floor (toothpaste or wax, that we easily removed ourselves but shouldn't have to!), some hair behind the bathroom sinks, etc. generally just not 100% spotless, which was disappointing especially given how nice the room was.

The Regency Club was very nice but the staff were overwhelmed at breakfast. There is not a visible place for people to bus their own dishes so as a result many people left their dishes on the tables. The club staff were running around trying to keep the food and drinks stocked and couldn't simultaneously also bus tables which meant a handful of tables had dirty dishes on them for quite some time. The breakfast was very good (fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels, oatmeal, cheeses, meats, pastries etc.).

Our kids loved the pool but we missed not having a hot tub. Proximity to the mall is great if you're interested in that (it wasn't a draw for us).

We would definitely stay again but would hope that the hotel could find it groove with the lounge and room cleaning.
Bennoch is offline  
Old Feb 16, 16, 3:32 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: BA, UA, AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Bennoch View Post
We came for a family "staycation" using a Diamond Suite Upgrade. We stayed in an ADA compliant suite (I think it was a Vast Suite?) The suite was very large ~ 725 sq ft. It had a king bed in a separate bedroom, huge en suite bathroom with double sinks, separate room for toilet, huge walk in shower with bathtub, half bath off the living room which had a dining table that seats 6-8 + a large couch with coffee table and chairs). Overall, we were really impressed with the room both in terms of size and what it contained. We were a bit disappointed with the cleanliness which may have just been due to the person we got, not a hotel-wide issue. There were some spots on the floor (toothpaste or wax, that we easily removed ourselves but shouldn't have to!), some hair behind the bathroom sinks, etc. generally just not 100% spotless, which was disappointing especially given how nice the room was.

The Regency Club was very nice but the staff were overwhelmed at breakfast. There is not a visible place for people to bus their own dishes so as a result many people left their dishes on the tables. The club staff were running around trying to keep the food and drinks stocked and couldn't simultaneously also bus tables which meant a handful of tables had dirty dishes on them for quite some time. The breakfast was very good (fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels, oatmeal, cheeses, meats, pastries etc.).

Our kids loved the pool but we missed not having a hot tub. Proximity to the mall is great if you're interested in that (it wasn't a draw for us).

We would definitely stay again but would hope that the hotel could find it groove with the lounge and room cleaning.
I wanted to add a few points to my original post:

1) the toilet in our master bath ran non-stop all weekend. The only thing that would stop it was us opening the top of the tank;

2) the pool is open all day on the weekends but not during weekdays. This was especially disappointing for us as we went on a holiday weekend (President's Day) with our kids. The posted hours say "holiday" hours (8am - 9pm I think) but the pool closed at 10am on Monday morning, a holiday. We called the desk about it and they admitted it was wrong (it being a holiday but not following the posted holiday hours) but did not do anything about it. They said they tried to find a lifeguard to come in but were unable to.

3) my husband found a pizza box & uneaten half pizza from previous guests under the bathroom counter that had been missed by housekeeping. This goes to my earlier point about the room cleanliness not being up to par.
Bennoch is offline  
Old Feb 25, 16, 10:21 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Posts: 1,568
Club Lounge

Will be staying over for a local event. Can anyone comment on the evening spread? Is it still the fried pork egg rolls (or similar) of last summer or more substantial?
hotelfanatic is offline  
Old Apr 15, 16, 11:31 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Posts: 2,361
Any recent stays/experiences here? Considering this hotel for an upcoming weekend stay but am curious how the lounge breakfast is now and if some of the kinks pointed out by previous posters (growing pains?) have been worked out.
akcae is offline  
Old Apr 17, 16, 3:39 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Posts: 2,144
Looking for Tyson's corner hotel Thursday to Sunday July 21-24.

Hyatt best rate is $169, suite $369.

We ideally want a suite, not least since I can work into the wee hours, while Ms. Travelexpert wants to sleep.

As a Diamond--what are my chances of a suite upgrade, without using one of my DSUs?

Came up with what I think is a great solution--two rooms at the Marriott (where I am Platinum) is $140 ($70 per room per night). This seems like the way to go?

Or have I missed something?
travelexpert is offline  
Old Apr 17, 16, 7:35 am
  #45  
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by travelexpert View Post
Looking for Tyson's corner hotel Thursday to Sunday July 21-24.

Hyatt best rate is $169, suite $369.

We ideally want a suite, not least since I can work into the wee hours, while Ms. Travelexpert wants to sleep.

As a Diamond--what are my chances of a suite upgrade, without using one of my DSUs?

Came up with what I think is a great solution--two rooms at the Marriott (where I am Platinum) is $140 ($70 per room per night). This seems like the way to go?

Or have I missed something?
Take a look at the RC Tysons. The exec suite is $319 for the weekend. Book via FHR for breakfast and property credit.

Fdw
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: