Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 3, 15, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I am at the hotel now, sitting in the Regency Club. I can confirm the previous comments about the lack of food offerings - hardly any protein options. In the morning, there were muffins, toast, bagels, and a few pastries, along with some fruit and cheese. Oatmeal and cereal were also available. This is the only HR I have visited that has not had a protein for breakfast ... nary a hard-boiled egg!

It's hors-d'oeuvre time as I type this. There is some strange mushroom concoction, cold zucchini, squash and eggplant, and some cheese. Very unimpressed. However, there is an honor bar, and the space is very large and nicely appointed. They really do need to step up the food, though.

As far as the rest of the hotel goes, it looks beautiful. I have a room on the top floor. It is modern and well-lit. Unfortunately, I realized last night that my room phone was dead after I had already prepared for bed (I needed toothpaste). I re-dressed myself and ventured downstairs to get some from the front desk and inform them of the phone issue. I was told it would be fixed this morning. When I returned back to the hotel from work around 1800, it was not repaired. I also noticed some dried urine on the toilet seat, which I had yet to put down - gross.

There are motion activated lights under the nightstands that are very helpful for when you get up in the middle of the night. Too bad for me - one of the lights keeps turning on randomly throughout the night.

I'm going to swing by the front desk in a few to address the issues. Overall, I think it is a very nice hotel, and a much better option than the HR Reston or Hyatt Dulles. As a bonus, it is connected by a covered walkway to the new silver line of the Metro for easy access to downtown DC. It is also right next to Tyson's Corner Center, a large shopping mall with plenty of food options. The attached restaurant, Barrel and Bushel, has a great beer selection, as well as an outdoor bar and patio. I have not tried the food.

If anyone has any questions about this hotel, let me know.
Old Jun 3, 15, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iherebyresign View Post
...It is also right next to Tyson's Corner Center, a large shopping mall with plenty of food options. The attached restaurant, Barrel and Bushel, has a great beer selection, as well as an outdoor bar and patio. I have not tried the food....
The B&B does have a good beer list but we have tried to eat their food twice and liked nothing. That is not very important and is not dissuading us for stopping in again toward the end of next week. But that restaurant is off-limits to us since the food is so bad.
Old Jun 4, 15, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Tonight's specialty in the regency club: Room temperature fried pork egg rolls! Yum!
Old Jun 5, 15, 6:16 am

Sounds like they've upped their game!
Old Jun 5, 15, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Junkie / Hyatt Diamond (fine, Globalist)
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by iherebyresign

...It is also right next to Tyson's Corner Center, a large shopping mall with plenty of food options. The attached restaurant, Barrel and Bushel, has a great beer selection, as well as an outdoor bar and patio. I have not tried the food....

The B&B does have a good beer list but we have tried to eat their food twice and liked nothing. That is not very important and is not dissuading us for stopping in again toward the end of next week. But that restaurant is off-limits to us since the food is so bad.
I had the food the first week they were open. I think they are trying hard, just too much salt and other spices in the food. It was of good quality but flavor could be improved.
Old Jun 27, 15, 2:14 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
I live nearby and have my first booking for visitors and have a few questions for anyone who has stayed.

1. Anyone know if the club is open/closed on the weekends?
2. Anyone try the King Suite yet? Thoughts/comments?

I have eaten at B&B twice in the last 2 weeks and think that there are good options on the menu. Some of their "signature" dishes like the hot fried chicken were just plain awful but the burgers were good as well as the chili (my favorite) and many of the apps. The deserts are also good and on the small side (cheaper too) which were perfect for our groups. The weather has been mixed recently but having dinner and drinks on the patio has been great when the weather cooperates. I have been to much worse "hotel restaurants" than this one and given the endless amount of choices in the mall, food should be fairly easy to nail in the area.
Old Jul 16, 15, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I had a stay here a couple of weeks ago and while not a bad as Monitor's stay, there are kinks to be worked out.

A few short points:

Didn't get best available as a Diamond at check in (I asked but was ignored)

Regency level rooms are the same as non-Regency level rooms. Saw both because of a room type assignment mistake - bed and connecting room status. I think I did get best available after the screw up but as noted, same room with a different bed (and not connecting). I guess I should add that I believe my observation is accurate (?). The desk agents stated that the Regency levels were on 5 (above the pool level) and on the floor above my original room, the floor I ended up on (forgot the #s). I asked about what seemed to be an odd set up, Regency levels almost 20 floors apart, but I wasn't having much luck with the front desk folks and didn't keep the questions rolling . (The website supports me though)

Website verbiage
Club
welcome visitors to this 374-square-foot guestroom that features one king Hyatt Grand Bed® and urban views through floor-to-ceiling windows. A large walk-in shower awaits in the bathroom
Standard
welcome visitors to this spacious and open 374-square-foot guestroom that features views of Tysons Corner's urban landscapes through floor-to-ceiling windows. A large walk-in shower awaits in the bathroom

The view sucks. More verbiage from the hotel's website

Wake up to beautiful urban views and all of the action on the Tysons Corner Center Plaza in our Plaza View King room.
I've seen some beautiful hotel views in my lifetime, but this wasn't one of them. I might be picky, but a concrete patio isn't a beautiful view (there are also roads and part of the Silver line metro to see too --- whooopeee /sarcasm off). As for action, none. During the day it's virtually empty and at night one gets to watch other people eat in the outside tables and chairs of one of the mall's restaurants.

The view room/no difference than a non-Regency level room are probably not a big deal until someone is looking for an award night and all that is available is one of the name changed rooms (Or 1) one really thinks that a mall hotel has views --- that person will be disappointed, and 2) someone pays more not knowing any better).

The newness of the hotel is nice. New things just feel better in a hotel (at least for me). Hopefully the staff gets up to speed sooner rather than later and this hotel can become a return to hotel rather than simply another stop on my road to 50 different Hyatts.

Cheers -
Old Jul 21, 15, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ronbo83 View Post
1. Anyone know if the club is open/closed on the weekends?
Open, acc'd to hotel.
Old Jul 21, 15, 1:55 pm

Aside from a new restaurant across the street, everything in the mall connected to this Hyatt is a chain operation and I have been to them all many times with not one of them being worth a five minute walk from the hotel. They are no better than the average room service from almost any full service hotel.
Was just reading through this thread because I grew up in the area and was curious about the hotel. I noticed this comment and was somewhat confused. While most of the restaurants are chains, there are definitely some that are well above the average mediocre food I get from room service. Specifically, I'm thinking of Coastal Flats, which I suppose is technically a regional chain (three locations total). I used to go there somewhat frequently when I lived/worked in the area, and it was quite good if you like seafood. Maybe the quality has declined?
Old Jul 21, 15, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. You are correct. Coastal Flats had slipped my mind when I wrote that comment. The food was very good the last time that I was there about three or four years ago although the service was inexperienced and clumsy.

Despite what I have written and despite my general distaste for this place, I need to be in the area this Thursday and Friday nights and they had a killer rate of $89.10 while the Tysons Westin was at $145 and the Arlington Gateway at $165. Even with the parking charge, the company's budget will come out way ahead so I will see if there has been any improvement there in the last month or two.
Old Jul 21, 15, 2:22 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Nope. You are correct. Coastal Flats had slipped my mind when I wrote that comment. The food was very good the last time that I was there about three or four years ago although the service was inexperienced and clumsy.

Despite what I have written and despite my general distaste for this place, I need to be in the area this Thursday and Friday nights and they had a killer rate of $89.10 while the Tysons Westin was at $145 and the Arlington Gateway at $165. Even with the parking charge, the company's budget will come out way ahead so I will see if there has been any improvement there in the last month or two.
I picked up the same rate for this weekend. The rates seem to be coming back down to earth for this hotel. I just ate at coastal flats this week and it was pretty decent. Given the addition on all of the new restaurants in the area (Founding Farmers, Eddie V, and Shake Shack) there should be no shortage of great food within walking distance or a $5 Uber.
Old Jul 23, 15, 1:48 pm

Thinking of getting out of the house this weekend. For those who have stayed at the HRTC, is it worth trying over the Hyatt Arlington, or stick with the HA until the kinks are worked out? FWIW, the HRTC is $10 more than Arlington. Many thanks.
Old Jul 23, 15, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Thinking of getting out of the house this weekend. For those who have stayed at the HRTC, is it worth trying over the Hyatt Arlington, or stick with the HA until the kinks are worked out? FWIW, the HRTC is $10 more than Arlington. Many thanks.
For "getting out of the house," I think Tysons would be more of a change of pace with more options-shopping, movies, restaurants etc. HA is virtually in DC-just across Key Bridge--but if you want to go up a few blocks to Clarendon there are of course many bars, restaurants, clubs.
Old Jul 23, 15, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the HRTC right now and amazed at the happy hour business being done at that beer bar in the lobby. I guess that they decided that it would be more lucrative to pitch the restaurant that way and leave real food to the mall restaurants and Eddie V's.

That is where we had dinner and when we arrived there a bit before 7, the dining room was sold out until 830 so we took a booth table that was open in the bar. It was large and comfortable and we each had appys, split a salad (a huge crab and shrimp chopped deal) and a bottle of wine (quite pleasant and knowledgeable sommelier) and got out for not much more than $105. I think that when we are hungry, a reservation for the real dining room may be necessary on a weeknight since the bar scene was jammed as were the tables with a 40s-50s crowd (lots of suits). The food was good but everything had a touch of spice so be forewarned if that is not what your taste buds like.

So when we walked back to the hotel about 815, the beer bar happy hour was still in almost full blast with its crowd that skewed younger (very few suits) than that at Eddie V's.

ETA: Right across the patio from Eddie's was a sign announcing that something called "Earl's Restaurant" would be opening in the fall. Nothing like making a hotel and a couple of office buildings a happy hour and restaurant destination. It appears to us that it will work just fine but we will still need to get in the car for some of that Falls Church ethnic food that has always been our staple down there.

Last edited by monitor; Jul 23, 15 at 8:02 pm
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:23 am

I thought I would add my two cents. The hotel is quite beautiful and in a good location for shopping, movie, etc., and a good choice for a night away from the homestead.

We were upgraded from a regular room to a plaza view. The room was decent size, nice bathroom, comfortable bed. The TV kept switching off by itself, so they do need to work a few kinks out. I could understand mentions of views on the DC-facing side, but I agree that there aren't many views from the plaza side worth spending much time on.

The hotel more or less sits on top of a nice mall. Being Friday night, the mall was busy but it was big enough that the number of people was not overwhelming. Food options included your usual fast food, Gordon Biersch, TGI Fridays, Brio, a Mexican restaurant, La Madeline, and a few others that I am sure I am forgetting. Out on the plaza is a Shake Shack and, as others have mentioned, the B&B, Eddie V, and a coming restaurant called Earls. It unfortunately seems to be a Canadian joint rather than connected to the Earls in Arlington, but it also appears that it will be one of the very few branches in the U.S. It's nice to see something a little different.

The lounge is very pretty inside, but they need to send their folks to Baltimore or the Grand DC for some training and to get a better sense of how things should be done. The attendants were all very nice and friendly, but they just didn't seem to have gotten the training on what I think many would consider routine things like having ice available for drinks, refilling the milk in the coffee machine, having knives out in the morning for guests, and refilling the drinks fridge. These are relatively minor training issues that easily can be rectified as long as the employees are given the proper tools and training. However, I sense they are not. This is less of a "complaint" than a "you can do better" moment. For those collecting DN points, the lounge is open 24/7.

Finally, we did not go to B&B, in part based on the reviews here and in part because it was always busy. People seemed in good spirits. There was a band playing in the Plaza on Friday night as part of a summer concert series so many were hanging out, listening to music, and chatting.

Do they need to tweak things and make improvements? Yes. Was it our favorite Hyatt in DC? No. Would/will we go again? Yes. It was a nice break.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: