FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Best Hyatt Property for Anniversary in Seattle? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1671844-best-hyatt-property-anniversary-seattle.html)

jpflyer Apr 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Best Hyatt Property for Anniversary in Seattle?

Celebrating wedding anniversary and interested in using suite upgrade certificate at one of the following locations. Who has the best suite upgrade for a romantic getaway? Thanks.

1) Grand Hyatt Seattle
2) Hyatt at Olive 8
3) Hyatt Regency Bellevue

Single_Flyer Apr 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jpflyer (Post 24660117)
Celebrating wedding anniversary and interested in using suite upgrade certificate at one of the following locations. Who has the best suite upgrade for a romantic getaway? Thanks.

1) Grand Hyatt Seattle
2) Hyatt at Olive 8

Are you coming from out of town? I can't tell you about the experience with DSUs because I haven't tried it, but I can tell you about the different properties in general and locations.

But if you are in Seattle already or know the areas and have been to the properties, I am not sure my advice would be helpful.

jpflyer Apr 13, 2015 6:15 pm

I am in town, but haven't stayed at any Hyatt properties here :) Any advice you have would be helpful - I do know the surrounding areas quite well. Thanks!

Single_Flyer Apr 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jpflyer (Post 24660624)
I am in town, but haven't stayed at any Hyatt properties here :) Any advice you have would be helpful - I do know the surrounding areas quite well. Thanks!

Oops, I just noticed your profile says "Seattle"... I feel silly.

You might be able to find the best deal at Bellevue depending on the night you are looking at booking; sometimes Bellevue has a "Shop" deal where they include a $50 gift card to Bellevue Square.

In terms of GH vs O8, here is my take: http://singleflyer.com/2015/04/02/gr...tt-or-olive-8/

Personally I like O8 better because it is more modern/boutique and has a pool. Also you can get breakfast at Urbane if you are Diamond (I assume you are since you were asking about suite upgrades).

The GH is a bit more opulent... bigger bathroom with tub. More marble. So if that is your style, then maybe that is a better option. Plus you would have a better chance at a view. And access to the Club Lounge.

Sorry, I haven't stayed at the Bellevue Regency.

MarkP24 Apr 13, 2015 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jpflyer (Post 24660117)

1) Grand Hyatt Seattle
2) Hyatt at Olive 8

I haven't stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 or the Regency Bellevue, but I did stay in a suite at the Grand Hyatt. I was told by friends who have stayed at both to stay at the Hyatt at Olive 8 as it is a bit nicer and fancier, and has a better breakfast amenity. The suite in the Grand Hyatt was incredibly nice.

I chose the Grand Hyatt because of the lounge which had food and drinks in the evening in addition to the breakfast. The staff at the lounge was simply exceptional!

In short, if you value the evening spread in the lounge, and the access to snacks and drinks during the day, I would stay at the Grand Hyatt. Otherwise, based on feedback from a few friends, I would go with the Hyatt at Olive 8.

Either way, you really can't go wrong as they're both great properties!

carnalismocc Apr 13, 2015 11:59 pm

My wife and I enjoy staying at the HR Bellevue, and regularly get upgraded to one of their Executive Suites which are quite nice. We've also stayed in one of the Emerald Suites at the Grand Hyatt Seattle, which was definitely on another level from the suites in Bellevue! If you're going to use a DSU, I'd go with the Grand Hyatt.

Unfortunately, I don't have any feedback on the suites at the Olive 8. We've only stayed in their regular rooms before, but we definitely like that property as well.

boolean64 Apr 14, 2015 8:39 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24 (Post 24661041)

In short, if you value the evening spread in the lounge, and the access to snacks and drinks during the day, I would stay at the Grand Hyatt. Otherwise, based on feedback from a few friends, I would go with the Hyatt at Olive 8.

Either way, you really can't go wrong as they're both great properties!

I tend to hotel hop between these two properties as they are about as close as you can get. I think the above is spot on.

For non-DSU stays if you really care about a suite i find that the GH is more likely to offer you a choice between a suite or a great view of the water in a regular room whereas I've never been upgraded to anything beyond a corner room with no view at the olive 8

(tangent for future reference in this thread: if you walk out the pine street exit at the GH, cross the street, and walk half a block down the alley directly across from the GH exit, you hit the olive 8 car entrance)

baliktad Apr 14, 2015 4:57 pm

I have stayed multiple times at all 3 properties including suites at each. It may depend on your tastes, but I would recommend the GH Seattle as the "best" overall for a romantic luxury weekend, with the O8 as a close second.

My take on the 3:

1) HR Bellevue - This is a 'nothing special' sort of city hotel. I find the rooms to be a bit ho-hum and in need of a refresh. In particular the worn brass door fixtures, the tub showers, and the almond switch plates really detract from any 'luxury' feel that might have once been present. Pluses: modern pool and fitness center, M in the Regency Club is truly a gem in Hyatt's portfolio, and suites do get upgraded brown bath linens (but still no escaping those tub showers!).

I have occasionally been upgraded to an executive suite, but this is out of the norm, and I find them rather lackluster in any case. It's pretty much a set of French doors that separate a comically small/awkward bed area from the rest of a normal room-sized sitting area with a couch. The single standard bathroom remains near the main entry instead of attached to the bedroom.

2) Olive 8 - Designed as a sleek/modern hotel, this property's LEED UltraTitaniumSapphirePlatinum status pretty much just means that your shower will be disappointingly anemic. Diamond upgrades will normally be no more than a corner king, which despite a published $50/night rate differential, amounts to pretty much just a weird unusable entry hall. They are fairly consistent about granting Nor1 upsell upgrades to suites (starting at $135/night if I remember right). For a romantic/splurge type stay, these are well worth it. The luxury suites are spacious and stylishly-decorated, and include a minibar/sink area in the parlor to have a proper night in.

Pluses here: diamond breakfast is complimentary even via room service. They always tell me I'll only pay the small delivery charge, but it's never showed up on my bill. The salt-water pool is a welcome treat, and includes a locker/changing area plus my favorite pool amenity: a handy swim-suit spin dryer so you'll never have to pack a dripping pair of trunks again!

3) Grand Hyatt - A more 'traditional' take on luxury; if the O8 is cold steel and glass, the GH is warm wood and stone. With no true on-site restaurant, breakfast options are limited to the club, but the sushi restaurant and steak house are convenient for a swanky dinner. They offer use of the pool/spa at the O8, but I find despite the close proximity it's always just slightly too much hassle to make the trek.

Diamond treatment here is excellent; with 30%+ of its rooms configured as suites, it's not uncommon to receive a complimentary suite upgrade at checkin. I prefer the executive suites which have a guest bath, front closet, bar with sink, and doors separating the parlor from the bedroom. The emerald suites have a slightly wonky layout which doesn't provide true separation between the rooms and don't use the space as well, but tend to have better views (ask for a xx22 room for the best views).

Overall I would recommend either of the downtown Seattle properties with a slight preference for the GH. I would not consider the HR Bellevue a desirable place to spend a romantic evening of any sort.

Single_Flyer Apr 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 24665880)
2) Olive 8 - Designed as a sleek/modern hotel, this property's LEED UltraTitaniumSapphirePlatinum status pretty much just means that your shower will be disappointingly anemic.

Don't forget the "refrigerator" that doesn't plug in.

MarkP24 Apr 14, 2015 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 24665880)
I have stayed multiple times at all 3 properties including suites at each. It may depend on your tastes, but I would recommend the GH Seattle as the "best" overall for a romantic luxury weekend, with the O8 as a close second.

My take on the 3:

1) HR Bellevue - This is a 'nothing special' sort of city hotel. I find the rooms to be a bit ho-hum and in need of a refresh. In particular the worn brass door fixtures, the tub showers, and the almond switch plates really detract from any 'luxury' feel that might have once been present. Pluses: modern pool and fitness center, M in the Regency Club is truly a gem in Hyatt's portfolio, and suites do get upgraded brown bath linens (but still no escaping those tub showers!).

I have occasionally been upgraded to an executive suite, but this is out of the norm, and I find them rather lackluster in any case. It's pretty much a set of French doors that separate a comically small/awkward bed area from the rest of a normal room-sized sitting area with a couch. The single standard bathroom remains near the main entry instead of attached to the bedroom.

2) Olive 8 - Designed as a sleek/modern hotel, this property's LEED UltraTitaniumSapphirePlatinum status pretty much just means that your shower will be disappointingly anemic. Diamond upgrades will normally be no more than a corner king, which despite a published $50/night rate differential, amounts to pretty much just a weird unusable entry hall. They are fairly consistent about granting Nor1 upsell upgrades to suites (starting at $135/night if I remember right). For a romantic/splurge type stay, these are well worth it. The luxury suites are spacious and stylishly-decorated, and include a minibar/sink area in the parlor to have a proper night in.

Pluses here: diamond breakfast is complimentary even via room service. They always tell me I'll only pay the small delivery charge, but it's never showed up on my bill. The salt-water pool is a welcome treat, and includes a locker/changing area plus my favorite pool amenity: a handy swim-suit spin dryer so you'll never have to pack a dripping pair of trunks again!

3) Grand Hyatt - A more 'traditional' take on luxury; if the O8 is cold steel and glass, the GH is warm wood and stone. With no true on-site restaurant, breakfast options are limited to the club, but the sushi restaurant and steak house are convenient for a swanky dinner. They offer use of the pool/spa at the O8, but I find despite the close proximity it's always just slightly too much hassle to make the trek.

Diamond treatment here is excellent; with 30%+ of its rooms configured as suites, it's not uncommon to receive a complimentary suite upgrade at checkin. I prefer the executive suites which have a guest bath, front closet, bar with sink, and doors separating the parlor from the bedroom. The emerald suites have a slightly wonky layout which doesn't provide true separation between the rooms and don't use the space as well, but tend to have better views (ask for a xx22 room for the best views).

Overall I would recommend either of the downtown Seattle properties with a slight preference for the GH. I would not consider the HR Bellevue a desirable place to spend a romantic evening of any sort.

Thanks for this extensive and helpful synopsis! My experience with the GH was spot on the way you described it, and I was upgraded to a suite as a Diamond even though I had booked a regular room (and had;t used a DSU).

As I said in a previous post, I would also differentiate the O8 from the GH with the GH having a lounge with evening offerings and access to snacks and drinks throughout the day.