Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Did Hyatt change its Diamond award booking policy?

Old Apr 12, 15, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt DM, SPG Platinum, CX DM, AA EXP

I recently got a lot of push back booking an award stay with insufficient points. They said Diamond members could only go negative by 1,000 points. Is this policy new? I remember the days where we could make 100k-bookings with no points posted!
Old Apr 12, 15, 5:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's what I was told last month too....
Old Apr 13, 15, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I made my last booking of this kind about 2 months ago without any push back. However, the issue I ran into twice with that same booking was that the points got pulled twice (and had to be redeposited) because I had enough points in my account but they were pegged for another stay that was supposed to happen later that month. Both times the points were pulled overnight (not immediately) and most likely were due to an audit process that is run daily. Finally, a note was placed to explain the situation and there were no subsequent issues.

I am guessing that the policy is a bit tighter now but the 1k negative balance limit sounds extremely restrictive. After all, that is equivalent to one diamond amenity at the FS hotel. I used (and never abused, meaning I always had enough points ahead of the stay) this (unwritten) benefit many a time and would be very, very disappointed if it were to go away.
Old Jun 25, 15, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, MR PP,
I have had experience both ways recently:

-Diamonds have to have the points to allow the booking

- For Diamonds, we can book it, but you need the points prior to checking in
Old Jun 25, 15, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat, SPG Gold, United Silver

Would love to clear this up as I've had many reps tell me that I have to have the points in my account at that moment for a P+C booking.
Old Jun 25, 15, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; United Silver; Global Entry
I seem to recall the HGP Concierge chiming in on this in the past and stating that Diamonds should be allowed to go negative for points only reservations, but not p+c. It was also suggested by a FTer that reps should be retrained on this point because of the inconsistency.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread.
Old Jun 25, 15, 10:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by duhe View Post
I seem to recall the HGP Concierge chiming in on this in the past and stating that Diamonds should be allowed to go negative for points only reservations, but not p+c. It was also suggested by a FTer that reps should be retrained on this point because of the inconsistency.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread.
I just reserved on a p+c booking this week with insufficient points in my account. <shrug>
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:08 pm

Have any globalists had success lately booking point stays without enough points in your account? I talked to 2 or 3 different reps who all say the maximum a Globalist can go negative is 1000 points, which might as well be zero. This is the same policy being quoted in 2015 in this thread, but I've personally done it multiple times in 2016 and 2017. Usually I would get an email a couple of weeks before the stay reminding me that it would revert to a paid stay if there were insufficient points one week prior to check-in, and I would transfer UR points before the deadline.

I asked when the policy changed and they say it changed when WoH was implemented, but I definitely booked a 125,000 point stay in July 2017 with hardly any points in my account. They say the system won't even allow them to do it anymore. Any other recent experiences?
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Julie17 View Post
Have any globalists had success lately booking point stays without enough points in your account? I talked to 2 or 3 different reps who all say the maximum a Globalist can go negative is 1000 points, which might as well be zero. This is the same policy being quoted in 2015 in this thread, but I've personally done it multiple times in 2016 and 2017. Usually I would get an email a couple of weeks before the stay reminding me that it would revert to a paid stay if there were insufficient points one week prior to check-in, and I would transfer UR points before the deadline.

I asked when the policy changed and they say it changed when WoH was implemented, but I definitely booked a 125,000 point stay in July 2017 with hardly any points in my account. They say the system won't even allow them to do it anymore. Any other recent experiences?
I made a reservation last month for July 4 - three rooms at a Hyatt resort. I went over 100K points negative, and the agent didn't act like that was odd at all.

The only thing I've noticed is that they seem to be sweeping faster to take the point. I had enough points from stays in December to cover one of the rooms, and Hyatt promptly grabbed them and applied to the stay (which is entirely reasonable).
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1k, SW CC, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Julie17 View Post

A few weeks ago I was also trying to do the same thing and got the same response as you (only 1,000 pt deficit allowed). I hung up and tried again later and was successful (140,000 point deficit over 2 reservations)....so I would suggest HUCA. However, I have not yet been successful at making a C+P reservation without sufficient points though (I was able to do this all throughout 2017).
Old Jan 25, 18, 2:45 pm

Thank you both for the DPs. You motivated me to HUCA once again and this time the agent did it no problem! I guess the 4th time's a charm. It's kind of baffling the amount of inconsistent messages though. I've also been asking about getting points for free night certificates that are close to expiring and I've gotten the following answers:

1. No way, must use by expiration date or you're SOL.
2. They might give partial points after expiration but only in dire circumstances like a doctor's note saying you're not allowed to fly.
3. Of course! No problem, you'll always have the option of getting partial points up to 90 days after expiration.

I like option 3, just hope I can find an agent to give that same answer if my cert expires.
ClarkGriswold likes this.
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:36 pm

the talk of negative point balance is confusing and inaccurate

this globalist benefit allows you to hold a full points standard room reservation and delay redeeming the points until no fewer than 7 days prior to checkin

you will never see a negative number as your account balance

you must have the points before the stay

you can’t take a year after the stay to earn your way up to a positive point balance

Old Jan 25, 18, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
delay redeeming the points until no fewer than 7 days prior to checkin
This part is not quite accurate. There's no mechanism to delay redeeming the points once the corresponding balance (or sometimes even partial balance) is available in your account. There is a regular sweep (weekly?) that if those points are there, WoH will grab them. Not a huge deal, but would keep you from using them for a more immediate stay (say if you had made the courtesy booking 9 months out etc).
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:46 pm

no mechanism?

easy to lock up points in a fleixble reservation
ClarkGriswold likes this.
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
no mechanism?

easy to lock up points in a fleixble reservation
Fair point that there's is indeed a way to game it.

You seemed to be to be stating the WoH policy on the matter, and from their perspective, positive balances are fair game to "settle the books" at any time.