Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Accused of theft of Buffet Food by Hotel/Front Office

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.

I currently have two rooms at a Hyatt property in Los Angeles area. On Saturday morning, the hotel accused my guests staying in the other room of eating at the buffet/not paying for it.
Someone at the front desk said the the F&B director wanted to speak to me about this so I met with him in the lobby. He explained that a restaurant employee "had recognized" my guests as having gone in the restaurant earlier that morning and partaking of food without signing anything to the room.
My guests subsequently told me they had not been in the restaurant that morning, as they were sleeping in late, so it was not possible for them to have done this. I also was told that my guests were "banned from the restaurant" for the rest of our stay.
I stay at this property quite often so I am really shocked at the treatment.
Is this a matter I should email Hyatt corporate about?? My brief conversation with the assistant GM at the hotel did not even result in an apology of any type.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
How the hell do they prove it was your guests and not someone random? Sounds like complete nonsense as long as your guests are reliable. And how could someone partake of the buffet without signing a chit?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Your title caught my attention, I would ask to see security video with Restaraunt manager and hotel manager. That should clear up any misunderstanding. And if they are wrong I would expect MAJOR compensation.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Someone is lying or mistaken. I bet if you offer to involve the police with that assistant GM, something will happen or someone will fess up.

Last edited by soonerfanatic; Mar 24, 2015 at 6:44 am Reason: Add
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is between your guests and the property. You were only likely involved because your name is on the room.

Let them deal with it. They may want to turn this into something and they may want to let it go. It's their choice.

You, on the other hand, have lots of choices in LA. Stay elsewhere.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by musikdude
I currently have two rooms at a Hyatt property in Los Angeles area. On Saturday morning, the hotel accused my guests staying in the other room of eating at the buffet/not paying for it.
Someone at the front desk said the the F&B director wanted to speak to me about this so I met with him in the lobby. He explained that a restaurant employee "had recognized" my guests as having gone in the restaurant earlier that morning and partaking of food without signing anything to the room.
My guests subsequently told me they had not been in the restaurant that morning, as they were sleeping in late, so it was not possible for them to have done this. I also was told that my guests were "banned from the restaurant" for the rest of our stay.
Is this a matter I should email Hyatt corporate about?? My brief conversation with the assistant GM at the hotel did not even result in an apology of any type.
As a diamond, were they extended your benefits? I'd certainly ask to see security footage.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the guests' room is linked to the OP's HGP account, I'm not so sure that it's just between the guests and the hotel. The hotel staff called the OP and confronted the OP, not the guests. This could make the OP unwelcome in the hotel in the future or in the extreme could even affect the OP's HGP account and status.

In addition to any security tapes, the hotel should also be able to see when the guests' key cards were used. That would be evidence of their "sleeping in late" story.

If the staff member noticed that some people didn't pay for the buffet, why didn't that staff member take action at the time? For example, either chase after them as they were leaving or call security immediately?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the guests' room is linked to the OP's HGP account, I'm not so sure that it's just between the guests and the hotel. The hotel staff called the OP and confronted the OP, not the guests. This could make the OP unwelcome in the hotel in the future or in the extreme could even affect the OP's HGP account and status.

In addition to any security tapes, the hotel should also be able to see when the guests' key cards were used. That would be evidence of their "sleeping in late" story.

If the staff member noticed that some people didn't pay for the buffet, why didn't that staff member take action at the time? For example, either chase after them as they were leaving or call security immediately?
Most key cards only log when used. So if they left in the morning, got breakfast, and then headed out, without going back to their room, there would be no record.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Most key cards only log when used. So if they left in the morning, got breakfast, and then headed out, without going back to their room, there would be no record.
Don't most people return to the room at least briefly after breakfast to brush teeth, use bathroom, and grab coat/umbrella?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:42 am

Security tapes should clear this up if that is the avenue the OP wishes to follow. Personally, I would be very sure of my guest's story before trying this route.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
wonder if guest of honor would apply in this case:

Guest of Honor — Beginning March 1, you can extend your on-property Diamond benefits (such as Regency Club or Grand Club access, free breakfast and late check-out) to family or friends when your transfer a free night stay using Hyatt Gold Passport points. By extending Diamond privileges to friends or family on an award stay, Hyatt is providing the warmest possible welcome and an extraordinary on-property experience.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:52 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Good Morning musikdude,

I am very disappointed to hear of the troubles you have faced during your stay. May I kindly request to have you PM me the details of your reservation and I will happily reach out to the Executive Management team of the hotel.

Thank you
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Similar thing but totally different response.
Recently at a Hyatt my so went to breakfast and got two breakfasts to go for us. Went back a few minutes later and asked for one more thing. The hostess at this point could not hold back and said we are trying our best to accommodate you but we already gave you 4 free breakfasts an hour ago... Turned out somebody pretending to be me, giving my last name and room number, took 3 other people to breakfast and charged it to the room, i.e. covered by breakfast diamond amenity. It took a long time to even understand for my so to understand what happened as we had both been sleeping at the time. Once it was verified that clearly this was fraud the manager was apologetic... and everything was cleared for us. As to what happened with the impostor and the security video... I have no idea. I figure the impostor must have stolen my info from my room bill or while standing at the fd and reading guest info. upside down. Pretty brazen, what would the impostor had said if I showed up for brkfst while he was eating? It's one thing to pretend to have given the wrong room number but to give the wrong last name ( I have a very rare last name)? It is amazing the amount of low life sums there are in this world. I hope they caught the low life and had him persecuted to the full extent of the law.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by musikdude

They are basing this on "reckonising" your guests? The restaurant people saw some faces and could map them to a specific room? Wow! How did they manage unless it was a very special boutique hotel? or your guests have been there many times?

Don't restaurants ask guests at breakfast for room number before they sit down or when this sit down?

If the guests really ate or if the hotel did think so, then the hotel can indeed bill the room which according the OP is in his name, so it is a matter concerning the OP. The credit card on file can be charged. The holder of the card can dispute of course.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
They are basing this on "reckonising" your guests? The restaurant people saw some faces and could map them to a specific room? Wow! How did they manage unless it was a very special boutique hotel? or your guests have been there many times?

Don't restaurants ask guests at breakfast for room number before they sit down or when this sit down?

If the guests really ate or if the hotel did think so, then the hotel can indeed bill the room which according the OP is in his name, so it is a matter concerning the OP. The credit card on file can be charged. The holder of the card can dispute of course.
IMO in most hotels where the only breakfast option is the buffet, they ask for names and room numbers at the entrance. However, higher end hotels and those where people can also order one or more items from the menu (at additional charge) or order from the menu rather than taking the buffet tend to present a bill at the end of breakfast, just as would be done at dinner. I've also seen hotels that offer cold/continental and hot/full breakfast buffets at different prices give guests a bill at the end.

Unfortunately many breakfast buffets ask the arriving guests to say their name and room number. Sometimes the hostess repeats the information very loudly so that anyone in the vicinity can hear. Sometimes the hostess has a printed list that also shows departure dates. I wonder whether the guests could have given their name and room number the previous day, the information was overheard, and then imposters entered using guests' name/room. This doesn't seem like the scenario that was told to the OP but it could easily happen.

When a hotel employee announces my room number as I'm entering breakfast, I'm more concerned that this indicated that my room will be unoccupied for at least the next half hour, thereby making it easy for a thief to go through my room to search for valuables to take.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.