Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Poor quality wines (think Canvas) and appalling snacks.
Spot on! Canvas is another label that we can tolerate the chard by not the red. They really need to do something about those snacks.

IMHO the bottom line is that Andaz Singapore is definitely a property worth trying as long as you don't expect perfect service.
There might be someone to greet your taxi on Level 2 when you arrive or maybe not.
Someone might give you a proper explanation of the breakfast layout or maybe not.
You might get the complimentary drinks and snacks and toiletries in the room replenished or maybe not.
etc.

Another data point: I was surprised at the difference in the taxi fare from and to Changi. Taking a cab from the airport rank at a bit after 6 pm on a Monday was S$32 to the Andaz. Calling a cab for pickup at the Andaz at 11 am on a Sunday was S$19 to the airport.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Mar 3, 2018 at 4:36 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:20 am

This property seems very stingy on (suite) upgrades.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have the GM's email? I have a 20 night stay coming up and would like to see what he/she can offer in addition.

Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:02 pm

Here for a one night stay and I must say am impressed! Got my first and only suite upgrade this year (without having to use a TSU). The room is spectacular with a view of the Singapore eye and all the sights right from the bedroom. The gym is nice although not as nice as the GH .Indonesia (which i think is best in class). This is hands down light years better than 5th Ave in NYC and it makes the wall street property look like a Hyatt place.

Some points on items noted above, there is turn down service. In fact I had to decline it.

Also while the food options seem less than abundant at breakfast the quality is amazing.

Really great place here.

Last edited by ZBigFam; Jul 25, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Does any of the suites came with breakfast included?

At the moment we are looking at booking 2 rooms here, would like if breakfast can be included for the second room. We can get a basic room for $238 with advance purchase rate, $378 for a Studio Suite (lounge access normally included if at Regency or Grand), or $310 for a basic room with breakfast. We would much prefer the studio suite if came with breakie.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Does any of the suites came with breakfast included?

At the moment we are looking at booking 2 rooms here, would like if breakfast can be included for the second room. We can get a basic room for $238 with advance purchase rate, $378 for a Studio Suite (lounge access normally included if at Regency or Grand), or $310 for a basic room with breakfast. We would much prefer the studio suite if came with breakie.
No, the suites do no include breakfast.
Have you considered booking Prive?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
I'll be having my first stay at Andaz Singapore in early September (just after the expiration of the two-for-one qualifying nights promotion ). I have stayed many times at the Grand Hyatt Singapore, but in recent years my favorite has been the Conrad Centennial which is very near the Andaz. The Conrad has recently downgraded its treatment of Hilton Diamonds -- see the thread on that in the Hilton forum -- so I'm looking forward to trying the Andaz. Lots of helpful observations here. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:40 am

Let me know if you have any questions, I just wrapped up my stay
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
No, the suites do no include breakfast.
Have you considered booking Prive?
I'm sorry but what is Prive?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I'm sorry but what is Prive?
It is actually Privé. It is a Hyatt specific reservation program that gets you perks for using it. The rate is the same as the standard daily rate.

At Andaz Sinapore, booking through Privé will get you breakfast for 2, a US$100 F&B credit, and almost certainly a guaranteed one-category room upgrade. Plus there is a 4th night free offer right now.

To find an agent search for Privé here on FT or simply look up Hyatt Privé (no quotes) on Google.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Aug 2, 2018 at 5:37 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
It is actually Privé. It is a Hyatt specific reservation program that gets you perks for using it. The rate is the same as the standard daily rate.

At Andaz Sinapore, booking through Privé will get you breakfast for 2, a US$100 F&B credit, and almost certainly a guaranteed one-category room upgrade. Plus there is a 4th night free offer right now.

To find an agent search for Privé here on FT or simply look up Hyatt Privé (no quotes) on Google.
Feel free to send me a PM!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have used Hyatt Prive at the Andaz in London a couple of times and have received
  • A $100 property credit per room per stay
  • One category room upgrade confirmed within 24 hours of booking
  • Daily full breakfast for two
  • Early check-in (from 9am) and late check-out (to 4pm) subject to availability
  • Welcome gift and letter
The welcome gift was a box of chocolates. Total value of the extras at this property for a one night stay was about £150 for a daily rate of £180!!
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Cityguy1
Feel free to send me a PM!
And of course, there are many Prive-registered agents to choose from...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:58 am

Just checked in this hotel few hours ago. The first few impressions were mostly negative:

1. Door boy very slow with luggage, they keep the luggage trolley inside the hotel, the boy decided to come out to peak our grab taxi and then went back in to get the luggage trolley, that seems to be a waste of at least 30 seconds of everyone's time. Most hotels have the luggage trolley ready next to the door

2. Check in area is like a zoo when we arrived at 2:30pm. The girl who helped us checking was amazing beautiful, she is blond and is very good looking. However, maybe because her young age, she gave me feeling that she was only memorising everything and repeat what was not by textbook. I am not saying her service was not good, however a bit robotic. She does explain everything very clearly to us and did not miss a bit.

3. I was hungary and went for something to eat. Most restraunts no longer serves lunch, ordered a beef sandwich, one of the worst I've ever had, very salty and the beef was very hard to chew. Ordered a pressed juice, never came, asked twice about the juice, still not came. I gave up and it turned out the juice was never ordered (not on the bill). Maybe there were a bit too many self service and also too many none hotel guest dining at the hotel, most staff seems young and don't really care about providing a service. Their uniform was not very clear to show whom's responsible for what and make the whole level 25 really like a zoo.

4. The room was also a bit too small. There was no upgrade at all, the room gives me the feeling of a budget hotel, everything minimised and no where to lay a full size check in luggage without blocking the way.

A friend of mine strongly suggested me not coming here after his stay (DM for few years and globalist now), if it wasn't for the double night credit and I've already stayed at GH few times, I would for sure change to a different hotel. I would have to say that I am disappointed overall so far.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Underwhelming

I'm here now, halfway through a two-night stay. It's an OK hotel, but, as others have noted, suffers from poor organization, awkward logistics, and irritating cost-cutting measures:

-- I arrived via MRT from the Harbourfront ferry station, mostly because the MRT entrance was closer than the taxi line. As advertised, the hotel is connected by a tunnel to the Bugis MRT station. But it's a very long and complicated tunnel, without much "signage". Following the directions, when I finally got to exit E I walked through a small shopping mall and then took an escalator to level 2 where an Andaz employee accompanied me to the 25th floor lobby. Then checked in and took a separate elevator to my room. (Hint: I later learned that there's an unmarked but much shorter and easier route. Instead of taking the escalators to Exits E-F from Bugis MRT, go past them, take a right, and walk a couple hundred feet down the hallway until you get to a nondescript door on your left with a small Andaz sign above it. That door leads to an elevator that will take you directly to the 25th-floor lobby.)
-- The employee who met me and checked me in was very helpful. She apologized for the long and confusing walk from the MRT and said the employees had recommended to the management that more and better signs were needed. At check-in she looked at my information and turned to a colleague/superior, silently mouthing words that I took to be something like "He's a Globalist, should we upgrade him?" The colleague seemed irritated at the question and answered, also sotto voce, something about "already upgraded". The check-in employee then did some things on the computer, handed me a room key, and explained to me that I had been upgraded from a "king room" to a "view room". But the view turned out to be mostly of buildings, with an oblique slice of water -- nothing like the panoramic view of the ferris wheel, Marina Bay Sands, and the Indonesian islands in the distance that many of the rooms seem to have. As others have noted, the rooms are not large. I didn't complain or ask for a better room/suite because I'm alone and it's a short stay. But my first impressions would have been a lot better if I'd been in a suite, or even a room, with a great view. And it's always irritating to be told you've been upgraded when you don't feel very upgraded.
-- The check-in employee then told me that my rate (SG$252++) did not include breakfast but that I could purchase it for SG$35 per person. I was about to accept this disappointing news when I remembered that Globalists are always supposed to get breakfast. So I asked her about this and she looked at the computer again and apologized for the mistake.
-- The breakfast is unimpressive, as are the wines and snacks available in the non-executive lounge during cocktail hour. Unlike the Grand Hyatt Singapore and other nice hotels in this region, there is no Indian food at breakfast. As a vegetarian, I found this disappointing. There were acceptable breads and pastries -- but only one or two kinds of each -- and reasonably crisp waffles, as well as good cappuccino (once I figured out how to work the machine) and teh tarik. But I wouldn't have paid SG$35 for it, or even SG$20. The wine is an Australian brand called Karri Oak, screw top, 3.1 (bottom 6%) on Vivino. The snacks consist of a few assorted chip-things and some olives. Inferior by orders of magnitude to the Grand Hyatt, the Conrad Centennial, and other good hotels in Singapore and the region. Note also that the lounge is for everyone, not just elite World of Hyatt members and executive level guests. So it's crowded.
-- The fitness center looks acceptable and the pool looks very nice -- just long enough to be swimmable, and with the aforementioned panoramic view.
-- An interesting touch is that everything in the minibar except alcoholic beverages is complimentary. This is the first Andaz I have ever stayed in, so I don't know whether this is a brand-wide policy or just in Singapore, and I don't know whether it applies only to WoH elites or to all guests. The only problem is that there's not much in the minibar. A few soft drinks, a granola bar, some no-name chocolate-covered almonds, and a small can of Pringles. The good news is that two of the soft drinks are San Pellegrino Limonata.
-- Most staff members I've encountered have been courteous and attentive. As at other hotels in Singapore, some of the young male employees tend to talk too loud, stand too close, and smile too wide. And I could have done without the Teutonic he's-already-been-upgraded lady. Other than that, everyone is really sweet.
-- But I am paying as much for this hotel as I ever pay for any hotel anywhere -- for a long time US$100 was my limit, then $150, now reluctantly $200 -- and for that amount I can do a lot better elsewhere.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.

Last edited by Assimilated Cajun; Sep 9, 2018 at 8:02 pm Reason: To clarify directions from MRT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.