Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by solewalker
My WoH account has a Singapore address. I just received an invite to a Dinner event to celebrate the opening of Andaz Singapore. Too bad I won't be able to make it.
Originally Posted by lowjhg
got the same invite as well. Accepted it straightaway and I’m here staying a night too! Interesting property indeed
Got the invite as well but don't feel like going alone so didn't RSVP. Wonder what's it about.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:18 pm

For those who have stayed at the GH and for the few that stayed at the Andaz**, I am planning a trip next month which includes 2 nights in Singapore and not sure which to chose... Any thoughts?

Last edited by turtlelurker; Nov 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:07 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by turtlelurker
For those who have stayed at the GH and for the few that stayed at the PH, I am planning a trip next month which includes 2 nights in Singapore and not sure which to chose... Any thoughts?
What PH???
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
What PH???
Edited to Andaz! I apologize for the typo and the confusion!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, OWS
Originally Posted by turtlelurker
For those who have stayed at the GH and for the few that stayed at the Andaz**, I am planning a trip next month which includes 2 nights in Singapore and not sure which to chose... Any thoughts?
It depends on what you want to do. Andaz is connected to Bugis MRT station via underground walkway. Bugis Junction is just on the other side of the MRT station. The location is closer to the business district and the bayfront compared to GH. The decor of the room is much better at Andaz. GH is located near Orchard Road, a major shopping district in Singapore. If you are a Globalist, there is a Club Lounge at the GH. Andaz serves the breakfast for Globalist in the restaurant.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat

Had a recent one night stay over the weekend in a corner room XX30. Whilst I like the decor, quality of furnishings, and views, I felt there were some fundamental flaws with the property that I am not sure can be easily fixed.

Was not offered a suite upgrade as a globalist at check in despite it showing as available for booking during check in. In fact not even sure the corner room I was given was a deluxe room because I was simply told I have been upgraded to a room with a view by the front desk host. It also doesn't give one a lot of confidence when something as trivial as a HDMI cable was described by my host as one of the features of the room

The corner room felt small compared to the stated size of 38/42 sqm probably due to the longish and very narrow setup of the room. Views are great in the XX30 corner room with floor to ceiling windows stretching from the bedroom all the way to the bathroom and you get pretty much a 180 degree view of the city and marina bay is also visible to the left. There was something very strange about the windows running the full length of the bedroom though. It had small little white dots all over which really distorted the view and I have no idea what purpose it served (suspect it’s some kind of solar film but not sure). The room was also extremely warm in the day even at the lowest temp setting and with the sheer fully down. Could be a problem specific to the corner rooms only as every part of the room is exposed to the sun.

The western breakfast buffet was one of the weakest breakfast offerings I have come across for a high end property in Asia. Globalist can order a main off an ala carte menu (someone posted a picture up thread) and help yourselves to mostly continental breakfast items off the buffet but I felt the selection was extremely limited. The ala carte main wasn’t particularly generous as well. My order of 2 eggs any style came with ONE tiny chicken sausage along with the other accompanying items.

Didn’t eat in the restaurant but ordered room service for dinner. 2 page menu so limited options but surprisingly very reasonably priced. A beef burger is S$18 which is the same price as in the restaurant.

They really need to up their game for breakfast for me to consider staying more often.

Last edited by mechu; Nov 29, 2017 at 5:57 am Reason: Adding Picture
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
This is the second report of failure to upgrade a Glob to an available suite for a short stay. And they really need to do something about breakfast. Even on TA, the hotel has been getting very mixed reviews, with pretty much everyone complaining about breakfast. I just do not see how a restaurant buffet breakfast in SIN cannot have any Asian options The western breakfast buffet sound more like something you would get in a high-end club lounge than in a high-end hotel restaurant
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:57 pm

I just noticed on their website that from Jan the Andaz Lounge Hour is changing from 5- 7 pm to 4-6 pm, which seem like a really strange time
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Did a one night stay at Andaz to check it out. I enjoyed the standard room which was well set up. Used P+C although there is an opening special rate if you were to stay 2 nights.

​​​​​This is in contrast to Andaz Tokyo where I feel cramped in the standard room and always try to upgrade to the Large King.

I did have to ask for Explorist upgrade and it was just a view upgrade so I didn't bother for an overnight stay.

I have also stayed at GH and despite an upgrade there to a suite, the furnishings are so dated that I really didn't enjoy it. I love shopping on Orchard Rd so that is a plus for GH.

I didn't bother eating at Andaz and headed out to the hawker stalls instead. Love, love them. Uber will pick up on ground level instead of going up the ramp. My blacklane pickup from the airport knew about the ramp.

Trying out new hotels is always fun for me so I would pick Andaz Singapore again over GH. My other stays in SIN were at the St.Regis and the Fairmont. Each had their merits.

Singapore is an interesting hotel market...nothing really outstanding but a bunch of decent options.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I just noticed on their website that from Jan the Andaz Lounge Hour is changing from 5- 7 pm to 4-6 pm, which seem like a really strange time
I suppose done in the hope that less will be able to utilize this benefit. 5-7pm was already on the earlier side but 4-6pm is just a ridiculous timing for happy hour...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by mechu
I suppose done in the hope that less will be able to utilize this benefit. 5-7pm was already on the earlier side but 4-6pm is just a ridiculous timing for happy hour...
Exactly. The preferred time would be 6-8 pm.

At 4-6 pm it will sure be a lot easier to not bother at all with it.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:00 am

Seems like they are trying to play a silly game with the rates now. A one night stay in the base room shows up with a standard rate of S$370 but that goes up slightly to S$390 when you select 2 nights, S$395 for 3 nights, S$400 for 4 nights. The same base room and bed type is available for S$370 for all 4 nights so not sure how this can be the case

The opening offer discount of 20% is applied on the higher rate so this is a really sneaky way of trying to reduce the discount they are offering...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Overall good location service is a work in progress. Would probably stay here over GH due to “freshness” - sometimes that 70s vibe is felt at GH - however the lounge at GH is pretty good.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by mechu
Seems like they are trying to play a silly game with the rates now. A one night stay in the base room shows up with a standard rate of S$370 but that goes up slightly to S$390 when you select 2 nights, S$395 for 3 nights, S$400 for 4 nights. The same base room and bed type is available for S$370 for all 4 nights so not sure how this can be the case

The opening offer discount of 20% is applied on the higher rate so this is a really sneaky way of trying to reduce the discount they are offering...
I hate it when hotels do this type of thing; for an upcoming 11-night stay at GH Taipei I had to book 8 separate reservations in order to get the lowest daily rates.

I notice that the rates here at Andaz go back to normal from a 5-night or longer stay; not sure what their trying to do with this increasing daily rate up to 4 nights...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I hate it when hotels do this type of thing; for an upcoming 11-night stay at GH Taipei I had to book 8 separate reservations in order to get the lowest daily rates.

I notice that the rates here at Andaz go back to normal from a 5-night or longer stay; not sure what their trying to do with this increasing daily rate up to 4 nights...
Those instances where I come across higher rates for longer stays are usually due to a particular room/bed type not being available on one of the nights during the dates.

This one is pure gaming of the system on their part and something I really hate as well. They came up with the opening offer but now decided a few weeks into operations to backtrack?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.